PDA

View Full Version : Anybody speak/read Russian and/or Italian? (not OT)

cookworm
11-15-2007, 01:39 PM
I'd like to make a care label to put on a FO (100% merino wool) for a friend's mom, and I'd like to written in Russian for her. I think what I have might be correct, but if somebody can verify this, I would really appreciate it. The finished label won't be as large as I have pictured below...it's just enlarged to show the detail better.

For another friend's care label of a FO, is the correct way to say "Merry Christmas" in Italian "Buon Natale"?

These are going to be surprise items, which is why I don't ask the recipients themselves about translations.

marykz
11-15-2007, 02:56 PM
re #1, the words themselves look appropriate, but somehow the grammar structure seems off. it has been 8-10 years since I've actually read Russian that carefully. I'll see what my books say if I can. (yeah, I have almost all my old textbooks, can't get rid of them!)

back in a few minutes...

queentr
11-15-2007, 03:00 PM
Hi
I can help with the Italian. Buon Natale is correct, or you can get fancy and say:"Tanti auguri di Buon Natale e felice Anno Nuovo"

TR

Jacy
11-15-2007, 03:51 PM
Hi! There is a young Russian woman named Svetlana who knits beautifully and blogs here:

http://myknittingisland.blogspot.com

She is very nice and appreciative of all her visit her blog, perhaps she can help.

KnittingNat
11-15-2007, 04:19 PM
My mother tongue is Russian and the label seems fine. Marykz, i think it's just the instructions that make the grammar look weird. It's perfectly understandable and sounds right to me.

cookworm
11-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Thank you guys so much! :heart: Not just a bunch of talented knitters, but also bilingual, too--you guys rock! :woot:

marykz
11-15-2007, 05:23 PM
I think you are awfully clever to be putting the care instructions etc in their own languages-

Thanks knittingNat for the authentic opinion on the matter! I was just coming back to say my silly books didn't talk much about care instructions (imagine that).

cookworm
11-15-2007, 05:47 PM
I thought it might make a nice special extra touch, and that it might be nice to see something in your first language (even if it only is care instructions on a label!). I hope they like the FO's and the labels, too!