PDA

View Full Version : Ever feel like...

MAmaDawn
11-15-2007, 04:00 PM
if you could just stay out of the frog pond you might actually finish whatever it is you are making? :frog:

I have had to frog this hat 5 times now... first was the wrong neddles... then the yarn just wasn't looking right... and it's just kept going like that. AAAAHHHH!!!!!!!! I've frogged enough to make 2 hats now!

KnittingNat
11-15-2007, 04:21 PM
Just think of it as a "bad knit day" and tomorrow will be better :hug:

lostchyld
11-15-2007, 05:13 PM
If I'm making a lot of mistakes one day, I take a good look at whether those are project threatening, by project threatening I mean I'm either consistently gaining or losing stitches. I've had days where I just forced myself to plow ahead and get somewhere for the day, regardless of mistakes. The more you frog and are frustrated with things that aren't quite right, the more you'll find things that aren't quite right. Decide your acceptable error margin, set it significantly below perfect and just finish something. If you're not sure about it, don't weave in ends or block. Then leave it overnight and see how it looks in the morning.

There's something extremely liberating about knitting through a project and leaving the small mistakes. Perfection is for God. It's the little (and occasionally big) things that aren't quite right that make us human, so why shouldn't our knitting reflect that?

That being said, I made a conscious decision when I started knitting to only frog if I was going to lose the project if I didn't. I do usually look for the mistake, but for the most part, I just keep knitting. If, the day after I finish a section, I don't like how it looks or something is glaringly wrong, then I'll usually do the section over, but once I'm knitting, that time is only for forward progress. Trips to the frog pond only happen at the beginning of the session. Anything else is short visits by Tink-erbell to fix something small that I caught in a few stitches.

You should try it. Even if you have to start a project over at the beginning of the next day, you'll feel a bit more like you made some progress when you set your knitting down at night.

dustinac
11-15-2007, 05:57 PM
I'm having the same bad knit day... frogged a pair of socks 3/4 times now...:rofl:

lelvsdgs
11-15-2007, 06:25 PM
Decide your acceptable error margin, set it significantly below perfect and just finish something.

Can I get this tattooed on the back of my eyelids??? This is brilliant!
:heart:

knitncook
11-15-2007, 07:15 PM
Have you done a swatch in the stitch pattern? That sometimes helps. Sometimes I if I have a tricky stitch problem I will make a "mini" item. I'll just try whatever looks new or different to see how it turns out. Deep breath. You can do it! As Ingrid says, "Trust the pattern!"

G J
11-15-2007, 07:29 PM
I can't knit much because of pain issues, but I feel this way about a sweater I'm making my husband. Grrrr. :wall:

Anyway, Check to make sure there are no pattern problems. I know somewhere on the forum there's a list of where to check for different magazines and books.....

MAmaDawn
11-15-2007, 08:10 PM
The smallest problem was that I had the spiral going the wrong way. All of them have been early in the hat, but all have been things that I really have fix.

I do look at small mistakes as making it special. That's what makes it hand made.

And a big part of it was the yarn I was using. I love it but it's just not good for a hat... maybe a hotmitt...

And the other part is that it's a pattern I'm making up. Just a learning curve there.

thanks so much for the encouragement and letting me vent about it...

I guess this is when you know you love knittting, you keep at it even when you seem to be frogging or tinKing more than knitting...

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
11-15-2007, 09:38 PM
I think that today is just an off day for everyone....

It started off ok (except for my arthritis flaring up in my knee, back, and neck) then got progressively worse.... the closest i got to knitting was taking the sleave of the sweater that i'm working on from my yarn bin to the livingroom and then putting it back in the yarn bin (which is in the office)... beyond that I haven't done anything craft wise (or any way wise).

alleusion
11-15-2007, 09:49 PM
I am the weird one that actually likes frogging? I mean, I understand the frustration in having to do something over and over, but I find the process of frogging to be a little release of some sort.

I agree that I don't normally frog unless it's a project ending error. I am a huge fan of tinking if I find the mistake in the same row. Otherwise it gets left in and adds a bit of humanity to the project. KWIM?

janettle
11-16-2007, 08:09 AM
Have you had a chance to look at the book, Knit Fix: Problem Solving for Knitters by Lisa Kartus? Perhaps she offers some solutions to the problem other than frogging. She, too, suggests a knitting philosophy that accepts mistakes. She has saved more than one of my projects from frogging.

Lisa R.
11-16-2007, 10:00 AM
I agree there's a balance between accepting mistakes and frogging everything.

For me, though, learning that I could frog part of a project and fix it or re-do it right was a hugely satisfying lesson. My first couple of projects, I had to run to a friend asking, "what about this??? help!"

So I considered frogging actually a step forward in the knitting process--another skill learned, as I recognized my mistakes and knew what to do about them.

Another thing I have learned is to set things aside for a bit. I am learning to knit socks, and choose a pattern that I didn't quite understand at the beginning....so after a few rows, I frogged back, but then I couldn't figure out where I was, and got frustrated. I ended up ripping out the entire thing, but rather than start back immediately, I cast on a hat on larger needles in an easier pattern. When that is finished, I'll pick up the socks and give it another go.

Sometimes a change of pace really helps.