PDA

View Full Version : FO: Another Malabrigo Bed Jacket!

ArtLady1981
11-15-2007, 10:57 PM
I finished my purple Malabrigo Bed Jacket today. It is a Tahki pattern, found in the Spring-Summer 2007 booklet. Click HERE (http://www.dreamweaveryarns.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_75_133&products_id=1752) to see the booklet for sale.

I only altered the sleeve cuffs to make it appear more bed jackety.

This is the model photo:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_3523.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_3592.jpg

My cuff
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_3594.jpg

auburnchick
11-15-2007, 11:12 PM
Very nice! I love the way you tweak the patterns! You are a knitting machine!

dustinac
11-16-2007, 12:17 AM
:yay: It looks wonderful!!!

momwolf
11-16-2007, 12:40 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_2_85.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_5_113.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_34_2.gif You are fast!!!!!!!!

scout52
11-16-2007, 01:06 AM
I love it!! its so pretty. Gorgeous buttons!! absolutely adore the color!!

mdog182
11-16-2007, 02:17 AM
absolutely beautiful!

KnittingNat
11-16-2007, 04:42 AM
This colour is absolutely stunning! Man, you're one fast knitter! I :heart: it!

Debkcs
11-16-2007, 04:57 AM
Your knitting skills make me green with envy! :mrgreen:

LOVE that color!

Slim
11-16-2007, 08:56 AM
Gorgeous color!! And I love the buttons you chose. As always, your work is flawless.

merryknitter
11-16-2007, 10:41 AM
So Beautiful! I love the color! I want one now!

rissa
11-16-2007, 11:13 AM
Please tell me you made that one for me... :happydance:

It is beautiful! You have an amazing talent. :)

sinistral_needler
11-16-2007, 01:55 PM
Ok, how do you get these things done so quickly? Seriously!!! Great job.

jjminarcik
11-16-2007, 04:42 PM
Like all of your work - beautiful!

ArtLady1981
11-16-2007, 06:46 PM
Hi all! :waving: Thanks for all your kind words of appreciation! :inlove:

I was in a hurry yesterday, getting the bed jacket photos done and editing the pixels...and DH was hanging around urging me to hurry up, we have to leave soon. Sigh.

So today, I want to share a TIP with you. I had to re-knit the Left Front twice...and the photo below will tell all. Here is what happened:

Y'all know how garter stitch pulls and sucks up in length when you "knit-it-in-the-the-rows" of the body of the (stocking stitch) front.

My first attempt looked simply lousy. I thought...well maybe blocking will solve the problem...but y'all know that garter stitch button bands go right back where they are most comfortable, even after blocking.
As I was knitting the Right Front, I had a "lightbulb moment". (I was about 6" into the Right Front.:woohoo:

I tried inserting short rows every 4th row...and VOILA...it worked! All row distortion seemed to disappear! So I frogged what I had done on my Right Front...and started re-knitting a new LEFT FRONT, inserting short rows every 4th row...for a total of 16 short rows for the 64 rows of garter stitch.

This is a photo of LEFT FRONT #1 without short rows...and LEFT FRONT #2, re-knit with short rows! Yippee! (FYI: the little threads are 10th row markers)
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_3526.jpg

The.Knitter
11-16-2007, 06:53 PM
This is very nice. Holy cow you are quick at knitting. Your work, as usual, is superb. I have to admit that I like the other jacket much better, but I was never a "purple person". Great job!

ArtLady1981
11-16-2007, 10:07 PM
This is very nice. Holy cow you are quick at knitting. Your work, as usual, is superb. I have to admit that I like the other jacket much better, but I was never a "purple person". Great job!

Yes, the green one is my favorite, too...but my husband likes the purple! I made it to wear with my new sleeveless cotton (lavendar) nightgown.

The green bed jacket is for the white nightgown.

Am making a pink bed jacket now, for the pink nightgown.

And the blue nightgown? Hmmm. Dunno yet!

Yeah, I went kinda nuts on the new nightgowns! Loved the style, couldn't make up my mind between the 4 colors, so I ordered all 4. They were on sale at the JCPenney.com website!

mks22300
11-17-2007, 01:05 AM
Very pretty!

cam90066
11-17-2007, 02:01 AM
Really is amazing what short rows in garter band can do. ;) Your comparison pic affords a great visual for those new to knitting who've yet to realize the differences in the row depth of diff stitch patterns.

As always, everything you make is outstanding!

cam

jdee
11-17-2007, 04:23 AM
Your bed jacket is just beautiful. Your knitting always looks so nice and neat.
I couldn't help but laugh about your gown buying spree. I have a sister who just LOVES gowns, and I immediately thought of her. If she's like she used to be when we all lived at home, she had more than one gown drawer.lol

GiddyKnitter
11-17-2007, 08:51 AM
Stunning and you have used my favourite colors!
You work is first class x

boo1
11-17-2007, 10:52 AM
with how gorgeous everything looks! You should open an ebay shop; I'm not sure I could ever make something like that but I sure would buy one! :yay:

mare-nitt
11-17-2007, 11:23 AM
Beautiful.

monzogary
11-17-2007, 12:05 PM
The FO looks very nice, and the short row trick is totally awesome!

Doublereeder2
11-17-2007, 01:54 PM
Gorgeous!!! As usual. :muah:

laikabear
11-18-2007, 02:44 PM
Well I like the purple one best!!! It matches my Palindrome hat and scarf. Can I have it? :mrgreen:

Is that Purple Mystery or Purple Magic colorway? Do you remember?

Can you give a little more explanation of the short row thing for us newbies? I understand what the problem was, that the garter rows aren't as tall as the stockinette rows. But I don't understand how you fixed it. I thought short rows were to make something turn a corner. I have never done them before.

MerigoldinWA
11-18-2007, 02:59 PM
ArtLady,

Another great bed jacket! Do you spend all your time in bed? :-) Just kidding. I know you said you lounge around in them and knit.

Great idea to do the short rows to even up the sides a bit.

No one else has asked and it is the first thing I noticed...on your picture of the model wearing their version of the sweater.... I wonder what that woman did to get such a weird tan line? Her arms were brown and her hands were white. I guess she wears gloves all the time in the summer.?? LOL

Thanks for sharing another nice item.

ArtLady1981
11-19-2007, 09:56 AM
Well I like the purple one best!!! It matches my Palindrome hat and scarf. Can I have it? :mrgreen:

Is that Purple Mystery or Purple Magic colorway? Do you remember?

Can you give a little more explanation of the short row thing for us newbies? I understand what the problem was, that the garter rows aren't as tall as the stockinette rows. But I don't understand how you fixed it. I thought short rows were to make something turn a corner. I have never done them before.

Hi Laika! The color I used is called "Cuarzo". (purples)

Short rows are shorter in width. A 'short' row doesn't run the entire length of the original row.

Here is what I did on the Left Front (and evry 4th RS row after that)

(RS) Row 3: Knit across to the end as usual. Turn the work so Wrong Side is facing. Knit back across JUST the garter stitches. Stop. Turn the work, right side facing. Knit back over the garter stitches to the end. Stop. Turn the work to wrong side facing.

Now work Wrong Side Row 4 as usual.

In essence, we have knit an extra garter ridge in between rows 3 and 4. That extra garter ridge is a "short row".

There is a trick that makes the end of the short row invisible.
Amy here at KH has a video clip called SHORT ROW with WRAP (http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techniques) under Advanced Techniques. Scroll down to mid-page.

aprilbetty
11-19-2007, 10:39 AM
Your work is beautiful! Thanks so much for taking the time to give us so many helpful knitting tips. I have printed out so many of them and refer to them often. You should write a book!

Abbily
11-19-2007, 03:10 PM
Oh my goodness, that is absolutely stunning!! Beautiful work, as always!! And great job figuring out the short row trick!

ArtLady1981
11-20-2007, 04:31 AM
ArtLady,

Another great bed jacket! Do you spend all your time in bed? :-) Just kidding. I know you said you lounge around in them and knit.

Great idea to do the short rows to even up the sides a bit.

No one else has asked and it is the first thing I noticed...on your picture of the model wearing their version of the sweater.... I wonder what that woman did to get such a weird tan line? Her arms were brown and her hands were white. I guess she wears gloves all the time in the summer.?? LOL

Thanks for sharing another nice item.

Hi Merigold! Chuckle! ya know...I never noticed her white hand and tan arm! What an odd combination. I can see a tan hand and white arm...if you always wear long sleeves...but the opposite!??
Maybe it is just the lighting. No. It is just wierd! TeeHee! :teehee:

Brandy_m
11-20-2007, 08:51 AM
that is beautiful!! You do such wonderful work!!! Thanks for sharing it with us :)

ArtLady1981
11-21-2007, 04:27 PM
that is beautiful!! You do such wonderful work!!! Thanks for sharing it with us :)

Thanks! I bought some purple plaid (flannel) jammie bottoms at KOHL's the other day, and wore a white tank and this purple bed jacket all night knitting, and even to bed! Ya know, Malabrigo has some wonderful properties to it...besides being soft to the touch, it also has substance. And, I cannot explain the kind of warmth it gives out. It is a warmth that is like a big hug. It puts me to sleep within minutes. And, I don't wake up too hot in the middle of the night!

tropicallie
11-21-2007, 06:22 PM
Artlady, that is a beautiful bed jacket. I love the purple. And the buttons. And I wanted to thank you for the short row tip. I've only used short rows for the normal things - necklines, yokes and such. Using it to even up mixed stitch rows - well that's just brilliant!

Jan in CA
12-15-2007, 08:11 PM
Wow.. that's awesome. I wish I had known about short rows on the button band. I'll have to check that out. :hug:

ArtLady1981
12-17-2007, 05:23 PM
Wow.. that's awesome. I wish I had known about short rows on the button band. I'll have to check that out. :hug:

Thanks Jan! Yep, once in a great while I have myself a lightbulb moment! The short rows for the garter stitch button band was my lightbulb moment for 2007! Wish they came along more frequently! :teehee:

knitwit88
12-17-2007, 11:24 PM
Incredible! Doesn't Malabrigo rib nicely?

ArtLady1981
12-18-2007, 07:07 AM
Incredible! Doesn't Malabrigo rib nicely?

Yes it does! I love it!

The only Malabrigo 'issue' I have had thus far is the color inconsistencies. When you are going to make a 4-6 skein Malabrigo sweater of some kind...you can always count on a couple of the skeins being more than a little different in some way. Sigh.

WandaT
12-18-2007, 07:44 AM
Wow!!! Just beautiful ... I'm going to have to get me some of that Malabrigo ...

ArtLady1981
12-18-2007, 08:11 AM
Wow!!! Just beautiful ... I'm going to have to get me some of that Malabrigo ...

Thanks for your kind words, Wanda! It means a lot to me! :muah:

dmknits
12-27-2007, 06:17 PM
Very nice! The short row information with the pictures was very interesting too.

bip
12-27-2007, 06:54 PM
I like that a lot.

Bed jacket is not a term I am familiar with. Did they just make it up for the pattern, or is it a common term like swing jacket that I am just not familiar with? (I had never heard of a swing jacket before I made the Pearl Buck one, and now I find that it is a common thing!)

ArtLady1981
12-27-2007, 09:24 PM
I like that a lot.

Bed jacket is not a term I am familiar with. Did they just make it up for the pattern, or is it a common term like swing jacket that I am just not familiar with? (I had never heard of a swing jacket before I made the Pearl Buck one, and now I find that it is a common thing!)

A bed jacket originally came onto the scene when a woman was bed-ridden for some reason or another, and wanted to receive guests. She didn't want to be sitting in a big ole bathrobe, so having a short, waist length "bed jacket" allowed her to cover up quickly, and "prettily"!

I've taken bed jackets to the hospital when I had my 5 children.
Didn't want to be sitting on a bathrobe in bed after delivering a baby...ahem...but wanted to be able to quickly cover up when fam and friends showed up!

I like bed jackets today because I like to sit and knit late at night. I get cold or chilly off and on...but a bathrobe prevents me from sitting with my legs curled up. A bed jacket is a shortie! And I can whip it off if I get too warm without standing up and dropping all my knitting things on the floor.

ah
12-29-2007, 12:49 PM
Another gorgeous bed jacket! You finish so many beautiful things...one day I hope to do the same.