PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera recommendations!

HamaLee
11-16-2007, 09:48 AM
Weeee! I need a new digital camera to take better pictures of my yarn and FOs. The one I have does a lousy job with closeups and I never get any stitch definition.

So--who has recommendations on cameras? Do you have one you love? Can you get nice, clear, detailed shots of your stitchwork? Bonus points if it's also small and easy to take with you on the go.

If you have brand name and model recommendations or links that'd be great. Thanks!

(PS--I'm a lousy photographer. I might also need some tips on the conditions you use to get beautiful photos of your work. :teehee:)

Sanibelle
11-16-2007, 10:26 AM
I just bought a Canon Power Shot - A570IS. I way over paid as I was on vacation when my camera I brought with me broke and I needed a camera for the rest of the trip. But with that said, I love this camera. It is easy to use, takes great pictures, and has a 4X times zoom where most cameras have 3x zoom. This one is 7 megapixels and even though there are cameras out there with higher megapixels, I found this was more than I would really ever use. You can also take short movies with it if you ever need to do that.

I would recommend this camera to anyone and it is less than $200 right now (I paid $325 for it in Gibralter - I know I got ripped off!). Here is a link to it on Amazon - you can see it got great reviews there too.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NK3H4S/sr=1-22/qid=1195222477/ref=pd_cp_p_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1195222477&sr=1-22&pf_rd_p=250314001&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000SSS4DY&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0TJMDX56DE1RYRVNYSDN
Hope this helps.

HamaLee
11-16-2007, 10:53 AM
Thanks!
I have a Canon Powershot right now, though I forget which one. It has a 4x zoom as well. I wonder if the problem is really with me and not the camera? But whenever I try to do close ups I can't get any stitch definition, it's blurry, or if I use a flash it whites everything out, etc.

Hmm...maybe I need to practice some picture taking techniques. I just tried to take a picture of socks while they were on my feet last night, like I see so many post, and you can't see any stitch detail whatsoever. :sad:

cdjack
11-16-2007, 11:01 AM
I also have a Canon Powershot. It takes great pictures. I'm sure it has a lot of neat bells and whistles, but ,being me, I've never read the directions... And, it fits in your pocket.

HamaLee
11-16-2007, 11:05 AM
Ok wow, I just found a great wiki on how to take awesome pics of your knitting! Here it is: linky (http://wikiknitting.com/wiki/How_to_Take_Detailed_Photos_of_your_Knitting)

I may not need a new camera after all! Especially since two people have recommended the camera I already have :teehee:

stitchwitch
11-16-2007, 01:09 PM
Thanks for this post, I also need recommendations as I only have an old Canon Rebel film camera. I love it but it's too much of a pain to take pictures and then scan them, etc. for Ravelry. I've been using my cell phone camera which is just not cool. :teehee:

inkaholic
11-16-2007, 01:40 PM
I had a Sony Cybershot DSCW80 for a couple of years that was amazing. I was so sad when it broke. It's a hardly little camera, too--my dad ran it over in his SUV, and it still turns on and lets you look through the memory card, I just can't take pictures with it. It's retailing for $199 on Amazon and I would recommend it to anyone. Part of the reason it takes such great pictures is the Carl Zeiss lens. It's the best point'n'shoot I've ever used (and I'm a photography student, and I loooove cameras, if that helps.) My friend's mom also has a Nikon Coolpix that takes great point and shoot photos, but it's an older model.

iza
11-16-2007, 02:50 PM
Hi HamaLee,

I'm not a professional photographer, but I would think that for best results you need very good lighting (preferably sunlight), and if you don't want to use the flash, you can look into an image stabilization system. It should get rid of the "blurry" effect (especially if you don't have a tripod).

I have a Canon Powershot with an image stablization system (A570 IS, just like Sanibelle!), and it seems to be better than other digital cameras I tried. Other companies than Canon have image stablization, it's getting fairly standard now.

The Canon Powershot keeps improving every year, depending on your model number if might be a very different camera than mine. My boyfriend has an old Powershot and it doesn't give the same pictures at all! Look at your model number and look at the specs before you buy a new one! :thumbsup:

HamaLee
11-16-2007, 06:13 PM
Well hey, whaddaya know! I have an A520 Powershot and it has like...features and stuff! :teehee: It really seems to be a perfectly reasonable camera, I think it's high time I got online to find out what the features are and took a few practice photos using the techniques in that Wiki!

All I did here was turn off the flash and turn on the macro feature (I don't even know what that is!) and this is a perfectly acceptable detail shot of my Baudelaire sock:

iza
11-16-2007, 06:33 PM
:cheering: Nice picture HamaLee! I think your camera should be good enough. Changing camera won't really do anything if you end up getting something similar. If you experiment enough, you'll determine what works for you. I say keep the money and buy yourself some yarn instead! :woot:

Knitting_Guy
11-17-2007, 12:54 AM
Cambo WDS-350. Lists for aboout $35,000

HamaLee
11-17-2007, 01:37 AM
I say keep the money and buy yourself some yarn instead! :woot:

Ow! Ow! Stop twisting my arm so much, it hurts!
:teehee: :mrgreen:

Itsabtme
11-17-2007, 02:06 AM
I know NOTHING about digital camaras. I have a HP Photosmart M407...I thought that it was a camara that even a child could figure out, but everytime my DH tries to use it, he gets frustrated and shoves it at me...apparently I was wrong.:teehee:

starburst
11-17-2007, 08:37 PM
I have a Casio Exilim Ex-z75 and I love it to death. It has 7.2 megapixels with a 3x zoom. It has an option called "Best Shot" where you click the BS button (poor name choice, I know) and a screen pops up with about 30 options of settings that you might want. One of them is called "Collection" that allows you to take pictures of things from your collection of whatevers (knitting stuff, in your case) and it applies a grid with a center focus square and circle to help you center your collection object. The main purpose for it is that they assume that if you are taking pictures of something in a collection for cataloging is that you want pictures that all are set up the same with whatever is in the picture centered. It takes a lot of the guess work out.

I would HIGHLY recommend my camera to anyone. It was in expensive ($190, but on sale for $170) and it does everything. It's compact (one of the thinnest I have seen) but it's not flimsy feeling.

http://www.image-acquire.com/1-28-07-z75.jpg

It also has a big screen which makes determining if your pictures are blurry really easy
http://www.thinkcamera.com/news/images/Web_CasioZ75_BestShotModes.jpg

Sharly
11-21-2007, 02:36 PM
I just recently got a Sony Cybershot. It's 8.1 megapixel, and I am loving it!! I'm not much of a photographer, but I'm having a ball with it. There's a post with a link to the camera itself on my blog (http://www.houseof9lives.wordpress.com) titled "Smile and say Catnip" :)