PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I finish?

McKnitty
11-16-2007, 11:52 AM
Do any of you have problems with finishing a project once the knitting part is over? I love to knit, but once the knitting part is done I have a tendency to lose interest and want to move on to another project so I can start knitting again.

I have several projects that I have completed the knitting but there is still something that needs to be done: sweaters that need to be seamed, a purse that needs the handles sewn on, a Christmas stocking that needs to be lined, etc.

I don't get to knit as often as I'd like, so I feel like I'm wasting my time if I'm seaming something when I could be knitting! Silly, I know.

cdjack
11-16-2007, 12:13 PM
I feel the same way. I just finished knitting and then felting a bag. I picked the pattern because it was knit in the round. No seaming! I have a couple of sweaters still in pieces as well.
I know that there are a few yarn stores up here that will seam your projects for you. I don't know how much it costs though...

bip
11-16-2007, 12:32 PM
I never thought I had any particular problem finishing projects until I put them all in Ravelry. I have 7 UFOs right now!!! I had no idea. And that's not even counting the adorable A-line skirt awaiting a zipper. I finished it 2 years ago then gained a bunch of weight. I offered to give it to a friend ... but still haven't put that dang zipper on. I guess I'm hoping I'll lose weight and I can take back the offer to give it away!

I have no idea what my excuse for the rest of the projects is. Well, ok, my Avast is complete except for blocking and zipper (I assembled the pieces w/o blocking because it was mostly made in 1 piece and only required hemming). I plan to send that to a tailor for the zipper, sewing is out of my comfort zone and I don't want to ruin a gorgeous cashmere sweater w/a sloppy zipper.

My log cabin blanket is awaiting more yarn. I started it about 3 weeks ago, but the yarn has haunted me in various incarnations of projects for over 2 years. It is Kureyon, expensive and I don't really like it and I hate the project only slightly less than the three projects this yarn was before. Not real excited to spend MORE on it. Especially since I am supposed to be cutting down on yarn-buying, not increasing it...

My Pearl Buck Swing Jacket (started in July/August, finished in September!)...I'm just afraid isn't going to fit well, so it is sitting there w/one sleeve on and other sleeve 1/3 of the way on...

My brother's Skully (started last Feb) needs a gusset in the armpit (to compensate for the pattern being for lady chest and biceps), and I have to weave in a billion little intarsia ends (way to double strand the intarsia bip!!!)

I finally picked up my 2-mittens in the round on one set of DPNs again (started in Sept, and at that time I got them all the way to the finger tip decreases), but the decreases are precarious when done 2 at once so I'm sandbagging... plus I have to figure out how to put the thumbs on.

Oh, and I started some lace socks while my mom was visiting. In SEPTEMBER. Finally picked it up at the beginning of the week. I can't tell you how long it took me first to remember where I was in the pattern (though the notes I'd left for myself had made perfect sense when I wrote them!) and then to get up to speed w/the pattern again. I'm thinking I hate the pattern, but all the sock patterns I like are toe-up and I really can't learn another technique right now, I need something I can knit on my commute to/from work.
I'm actually a bit overwhelmed by it at the moment. That, and the overwhelming urge to START ANOTHER PROJECT and BUY MORE YARN.

mhansen
11-16-2007, 01:29 PM
Yes I have a real problem finishing up too. I absolutely hate to weave in the ends. Most of the time I cannot do it so that you cannot see where the thread is woven in. I have tried and tried. I've taken my time to get it into the middle of the yarn but you can still see it. I do not like seaming. I just like to knit.

Plantgoddess+
11-16-2007, 01:45 PM
I can sympathize. I also have to force myself to do the finishing touches. I have a finished afghan that just needs the ends woven in. I also bought a book on designing your own sweaters that uses knitting in the round from the bottom up. I love it! The only finish work is small openings under the arms and weaving in ends. I hate seaming!

McKnitty
11-16-2007, 01:46 PM
I know that there are a few yarn stores up here that will seam your projects for you. I don't know how much it costs though...

Oh, that would be a dream come true! I am going to call around town and see if I can find a place.

McKnitty
11-16-2007, 01:51 PM
I'm actually a bit overwhelmed by it at the moment. That, and the overwhelming urge to START ANOTHER PROJECT and BUY MORE YARN.

I feel the same way! I'm overwhelmed with what I should be doing, yet I still want to look at new patterns and yarn.

McKnitty
11-16-2007, 01:55 PM
I do not like seaming. I just like to knit.

EXACTLY! I guess I keep hoping the little seaming faeries will come one night and I'll wake up to completely finished projects.

GiddyKnitter
11-16-2007, 02:01 PM
I think this problem is more common that we realise! I dislike finishing off garments and sewing in the ends...I just can't wait to start on my next project. I only have a pair of socks to finish and a sweater for myself which I started in the summer even forgot what the pattern is like! And then I have the cabled sweater that shandeh is knitting...so not too bad at the moment.

Rorshach
11-16-2007, 02:20 PM
So I would guess that most of you would be process knitters, not project knitters, i.e. you enjoy the actual knitting, but dislike finishing it up. Nothing wrong with that in my book, but as I see it, finishing the project is part of the project too. I too dislike it, but I dislike it not being finished more.

janettle
11-16-2007, 03:09 PM
I don't like the end-sewing either, which is strange because I've been a seamstress for many years and thought that seaming knitted pieces would be just more of the same. But seaming knitted items calls for different skills than seaming woven fabric pieces.

Anyway, I can usually trick myself into doing the finishing if I tell myself I'll do 10 minutes and quit. Sometimes I do quit in 10 minutes, other times I keep going and actually finish!

boo1
11-16-2007, 04:19 PM
But I eventually get it done.

We just got a cold front here, and that's enough to make me strongly consider weaving the ends of a scarf I finished recently. And we don't get much cold weather!

Mommy22alyns
11-16-2007, 09:35 PM
Yes... I'm terrible. Seaming and blocking are no fun!!

Ingrid
11-16-2007, 09:42 PM
Me, too. I think that's why I've knit a few blankets. I can just keep knitting. I also lean toward things in the round, or I adapt them for in the round. I recently bought a pattern for a sweater for my niece, but I've changed it enough I shouldn't have bothered--just because I didn't want to have to do seams.

Once I start a mattress stitch seam, I don't mind doing it. It's just getting myself to start.

alleusion
11-17-2007, 06:26 AM
I don't even get that far! I get halfway through something before getting the itch to start something else. Once I get to the "continue in this stitch until your piece measures...." I get bored. I've promised a few people I'll be finishing something before I start something else this time. I have so many things I can't wait to get on needles. I guess it's a good thing I don't have my entire stash and pattern library at my fingertips, I'd have so many UFO's I'd be disowned.

starburst
11-17-2007, 06:38 AM
I think my problem is that I need new steps to be introduced in order to keep my attention. I like finishing because I like that it's not the same thing over and over again

But then again, there are times when I like to just do plain stockinette (in the round) for a while because it gives me something to do. I guess it depends on whether or not I am knitting to give my hands something to do (like in lecture classes) or if I am knitting a project. I just get easily bored of "St st for 30 rounds" ugh. give me some variety!

Jaxhil
11-17-2007, 01:29 PM
I too hate finishing up projects...but like Rorshach said, I hate *not* being finished MORE. LOL! So I force myself, after the last stitch, to bite the bullet and start weaving in those ends (yuuuuuck!) which is no fun but then when I finish it's really finished :mrgreen:

I try to pick projects that are done in the round or flat (like blankets and scarves, LOL) that require very little finishing. The funny thing is I'll go to enormous lengths to redo the pattern to avoid the seaming. Kinda makes me wonder if I'm really saving actually any time in the end!

Oh well, I enjoy conquering flat patterns and making them in the round anyway :teehee: Gives me a sense of accomplishment!

bip
11-17-2007, 11:41 PM
So I would guess that most of you would be process knitters, not project knitters, i.e. you enjoy the actual knitting, but dislike finishing it up. Nothing wrong with that in my book, but as I see it, finishing the project is part of the project too. I too dislike it, but I dislike it not being finished more.

Actually, I am a product knitter! I think often it is the anxiety over how my assembly will affect the final product that stymies me. I have so much more practice knitting than assembling, assembly is really my weak link. But that's just the nature of it: Most projects are 90% knitting, 10% assembly. Even the most complicated project is maybe 60% knitting versus 40% assembly. That means over time, I gain a lot more experience knitting than assembling.

I guess I dislike it being finished incorrectly most of all!

Mazie
11-18-2007, 01:08 AM
Would you cook a meal for your family and then not serve it?
Would you plan and prepare a party for friends and forget the invitations?
Would you promise to do something and not deliver?
If you wouldn't break a promise to your best friend why would you treat yourself that way? If you don't respect yourself no one else will.
Yes, you do deserve that pretty knitted sweater/scarf/socks/hat. Take the extra time that you deserve and finish what you started!
*rant off*

Lisa_H-Town
11-18-2007, 01:12 AM
I thought I was the only one...

I have discovered if I weave in ends while I am going along and still enthused, it helps...

Also have LYS which farms out finishing... but I couldn't afford it from the prices I have over-heard quoted.

My New Year's Resolution is to finish everything I have started before starting something new.... Yeah, it's several weeks ahead, but, I like breathing room....;) Maybe I will actually do it.

And yes, big woo-hoo to matress stitch, it's actually fun to do!