PDA

View Full Version : Sewing on the outside of a felted bag question

spooky
11-16-2007, 02:56 PM
Hi all!!

I have a question about sewing onto a felted bag. I have felted bags before and have sewn lining into them. I am curious if any of you have ever sewn on the outside of the bag. My idea was to get some Wally World felt (you know those felted sheets you can buy for 20 cents in the art section) and sew a design on the outside of the bag. The stitches should be hidden in between the lining of the bag. Do you think this would work? Or do you think it would come off very easily?

Let me know!!

I'm really wanting to put the tree of life onto the bag. Here is an example of a bag with the picture I would like to try to use.
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x229/erikasbuddy/PA020098.jpg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x229/erikasbuddy/PA020095.jpg

wednesday
11-16-2007, 03:04 PM
the design you show looks like it was machine satin stitched, I don't know if that would work with a regular sewing machine. The felted fabric may be to thick, if you do want to try that put a piece of thin paper on the wrong side that way your felted fabric won't get into the feeddogs.
If you are planning on hand stitching swithing to a small blanket stitch should work fine although you can hand satin stitch it will just take longer and be considerably more work.

I would recommend a stronger thread hand quilting thread is fairly strong and comes in a nice seletion of colors or if stitching is supposed to be integral to the design DMC embroidery floss. Just make sure you have a nice sharp and correct size needle.

It looks like a fun project

spooky
11-16-2007, 03:08 PM
I am planning to hand stitch it. I do not own a sewing machine and the hand sewer I do own has been banished to the basement because it attacked me one day lol!! Its not gonna be a mega big bag. Big enough to hold a wallet, keys, and a couple what-nots. Knowing me the design will probably change 50 times before I even get the bag done lol!!

Thanks for the tip on quilting thread. Do they sell that at Wally World? I've been carless for 3 weeks and YAY we finally have to go grocery shopping tonight!! So, I'll see if they have any.

BTW... Hubby has a car, but he's being stingy lol!! He won't let me drive him to work lol!!

wednesday
11-16-2007, 03:35 PM
Wally world should have hand quilting thread as well as DMC embroidery floss and needles.

Have fun :clink: