PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite needle type?

Nichan
11-16-2007, 09:26 PM
Hi,
Please share your opinion and experience in using many needle types: wood, bamboo,alumunium or other metals, plastic, etc...including whether it's straight, circular, or dpns...why you like one type and in what case you will use the one type over another...
i use metals mostly and i rarely use bamboo and plastic because the bamboo and plastic needle size i use is big or small...i'm going to buy again needle in medium size like US7-8 but i really want to make sure before i go...
my projects mostly are bags, hats, mittens...i don't plan to make any wardrobe and so far, no thanks :) ...but in the future i want to make socks, bikini, scarf in fun style...

please, help me by sharing your experience...any experience...any...
thanks!:thumbsup:

Mommy22alyns
11-16-2007, 09:32 PM
Pointy aluminum circulars. I sound like a robot, but I can't think of using any needles but the KP Options or fixed circs. Addis are lovely but oh so expensive. I can see bamboo or wood for slippy yarns.
I may never use DPN's again after learning Magic Loop! :woot:

Quiara
11-16-2007, 09:37 PM
I'm a nickel-plated circs girl all the way. I haven't used straights in years.

Ingrid
11-16-2007, 09:38 PM
Addis or Options for me, too; I use bamboo dpns, though.

KnitClickChick
11-16-2007, 09:43 PM
I love all needles - in my "collection" I have acrylic, bamboo, metal, plastic, and glass. Circs, straights, and DPNs. I like circs best I think, just because they don't get in the way like the straights do.

Newbie2Knitting
11-16-2007, 09:55 PM
I started on straight aluminum & when I tried circs (I used aluminum first there, too) it felt *really* weird to me. Then I tried some bamboo circs and I am officially in love.

knitgal
11-16-2007, 11:10 PM
Since I only started knitting over a year ago, I haven't invested in a set of Options yet, but I am coveting them. My aunt has both the Options and Harmony sets and I am SO jealous. Anyways, I usually use plastic or metal needles (I'm a cheap date). I have an Addi circ, but I haven't started the project that they're for yet. I also have some bamboo needles for an alpaca lace scarf. So...favourite? I guess I don't know yet.

Braden
11-16-2007, 11:12 PM
Addi Turbos or KnitPicks Options (the nickel plate kind). I just really like slippery metal needles, and these are all I use.

Spikey
11-16-2007, 11:18 PM
KP Harmony for slippery yarns, Options for everything else. That's it. Won't use any other needles. No need.

starburst
11-17-2007, 02:36 AM
I bought my first set of Denise interchangeables today and I think I'm in love :) I like that I have a wide array of needles and they all work together. I would have gotten the Options, but they were more expensive and I'm a little leary of spending more than I have to right now

Rorshach
11-17-2007, 03:44 AM
I use a little bit of everything, but the ones I use the most are the nickel plated needles.

knitaholic
11-17-2007, 09:13 AM
I haven't met a knitting needle that I don't like--but, I prefer circular needles for almost everything.

Thanks,

Knitaholic:heart:

Mirl56
11-17-2007, 09:39 AM
I think I must be a needle slut - I love them all! I do perfer circular - can't think of the last time I used straight needles.

Songbirdy
11-17-2007, 11:15 AM
I was gifted an Options and I do :heart: it so very much!

But otherwise, I have whippy plasticy ones from my Grandma... not my favourite as they drag a lot.

I have some metal ones I love (with really pointy tips).

But occassionally, when I am really stressed... I find I'm squishing my needles so hard that I get sore hands.

And I have some cheap Bamboos I love. I have 2 pairs of Clover Bamboo needles and I don't like them (they are circular). I find the join is really... sticky? on them. I don't like them but I needed them and they were all I could find in that size and with the time I had.

The features I like (for the most part):

-longer straight needles (but I think more Options will change that opinion)
-sharp points
-some flex in the straights

And... for Bamboo over Normal Metal. I find the metal stay cold and I feel it in my wrists.

Debkcs
11-17-2007, 11:54 AM
For socks, two sharply pointed circulars. Using Silver's "tute" and don't need anything else. (It's a brilliant method!)

Otherwise, I have a set of Denise needles that I love. Personally, don't care for bamboo or glass.

miccisue
11-17-2007, 07:36 PM
Clover bamboo circulars are my favorites, then Clover bamboo straights.
I don't like metal needles as they are too slippery and hard for me to control - stitches are constantly sliding off the darn things!!!!!!!!!!!