PDA

View Full Version : Purl Pick-up with Pix

Limey
11-16-2007, 10:03 PM
Hi

A little while ago, I posted this thread:

http://nonaknits.typepad.com/nonaknits/2005/01/pleasurable_pic.html

I was curious to know what it would look like (I thought it was a bit hard to see with the dark wool in the link pic). I think it's turned out ok. It's certainly the neatest pick-up I've made so far (I've lived a very sheltered life!) and gives a similar appearance of the ridge on a coat with a zipper opening.

I disregarded the working from left to right and just took the direction I found the most comfortable.

The bottom right pic shows what the pick-up looks like on the inside.

What helped most was using a small needle and it wasn't any more difficult to do than a regular knit pick up.

Susan P.
11-17-2007, 05:58 AM
I've not been on in ages and I come on and see these needles! I had to do THE worst thing recently and cut, yes cut, the cable between the needles in circs as two loops would not budge over the needle no matter what I tried. Without going into the whole thing I would welcome a set of circs that fine. What size are these and who is the manufacturer?

Limey
11-17-2007, 08:18 AM
Hell's Teeth - what were you knitting? Never heard of anyone having to do that before!

The small needle in the picture is size 2.75 (US 2) and it has a metal cable which madES it very flexible, so it wasn't too much hassle at all to use.

There's a pic of Magic Loop here - one done using the metal cable and the other a plastic cable.

I'll post a close-up of the joins and needle tips so that you can see them properly. They're both made of lightweight stainless steel.

The particular needles are under my own brand, Countonknit.com and they're going down pretty well at craft fairs.

Peope are just intrigued by the metal cable.

giedre11
11-17-2007, 08:32 AM
Ok, so are you basically just picking up the stitches without working them first? From my understanding a regular pick up is this: pick up and knit the stitch, but this way you just pick up all the stitches first??

GiddyKnitter
11-17-2007, 08:35 AM
Wow that edge is so neat...I may just have a quick peek on your web site!

Mirl56
11-17-2007, 09:14 AM
So the difference is using a way smaller needle for the pick up row. Very cool - it does give it a nice finish. I don't knit cardigans very often, probably because adding that edge never looks very good - I will have to try this method soon.

Limey
11-17-2007, 09:20 AM
Hi Giedre11 and Pauline

Yep, you just pick up the stitches - I know most patterns say 'Pick and Knit' - but what generally happens is that you're turning cast (bind) off stitches back into 'live' stitches again or in this case, picking up the side edges of the cardigan front to make a button band and then you work (knit or purl, depending on pattern) the following row.

Hi Pauline

My computer Guru is working this weekend on my website

www.countonknit.com (http://www.countonknit.com) to add the new needles to it.

At the minute, I've only been making 'hook' stitch markers but now I'm expanding the range of items to include circular needles and beaded stitch holders/pins for shawls.

The site should be up and running by tomorrow evening (Sunday).

suzeeq
11-17-2007, 12:23 PM
Pick up and knit is a holdover from the days when knitters would pick up the sts with the left needle and knit them with the right. Most people usually just pick them up with the right needle and they get worked on the next row/round. When you see `pick up and knit' pick up the sts `as if' you were knitting them; `pick up and purl' pick up the sts `as if' you were purling them.

Susan P.
11-17-2007, 06:02 PM
I hadn't realised the cable was metal. Intriguing. Would this affect the yarn at all if you left the needles in your knitting for a week or more? I doubt it but I have been known to fret about such things. I didn't realise these needles were yours so bravo! I certainly like the taper.

I had been making a bag and I was finished around the top and I KNEW I should have counted properly but I didn't, To cut a story short I had to go around the top for a second time picking up stitches. I did that and could slide them onto my needles ok but I must had inadvertently picked up a few strands from a side stitch with one of the picks up. (I was knitting double). Well, when I went to knit the line off these two stitches refused to come off the needle. I pushed them down to the cable and worked to loosen with a sewing needle. I had a wee bit of success this way but as soon as I tried again they tightened and would not budge. I ran a life line through as it was either cut the knitting on the cord. I cut the cord. Darn shame there is no way to re-vamp the set. You can't just go buy cord and fix them so I've blown an expensive set.

Your slim needles here are just the very thing I need to slip back along the life line and complete the work!

Susan P.
11-17-2007, 06:05 PM
Ok. I have to ask, what is this "knitting the flap" and so on under the avatars. Is it supposed to represent something?

suzeeq
11-17-2007, 06:10 PM
Knitting the flap, working the gusset, grafting the toe are all steps in making a sock. It denotes how many posts you've made as opposed to being - newbie, jr member, sr member, etc... it has nothing to do with your skill, just how many posts you've made.

Limey
11-17-2007, 06:25 PM
Hiya Susan

Sorry things turned out like that on your bag.

I'd be more than happy to send you some needles!

It's two different needles I have in the range at the moment - one has the metal cable and the other, a fine plastic cable.

Just tell me what sizes you need and your address and they'll be on their way. The needle at the top of the blue background pic is the plastic cable and the one below is the metal one.

I've found this to be very handy when I've been knitting with two circs. there's no problem telling them apart!

The cable looks as if it would never uncurl but all you have to do is run it between your thumb and finger a couple of times and that's it - straightened out.

I've never come across anything like the metal cable and I've tested it to hell and Hoboken and back again for the last 12 months! I kept them (out of the packs) in my conservatory, which in this climate, and especially this part of England, can get extremely damp.

They're still the same - nothing's changed at all. I'll pop a couple of pictures here, then maybe you can see what I'm wittering about.

If you want any more info. just give me a shout.

Mirl56
11-17-2007, 06:36 PM
I believe it's just based on how many posts you've posted here. I'm not sure if there is a 'definiaton' somewhere - like 'casting on' is for 1 - 100 posts, etc.

Susan P.
11-17-2007, 07:17 PM
Oh..well..thanks. Couldn't quite see the point of it but knew there had to be something.

Limey, thanks for a gracious offer. I'll take a look on your site. I've tended to avoid smaller needles as plastic and Ivore I've repeatedly broken when its been cold and I hate breaking needles when I've had knitting on them. Yours look sturdy and if you've been able to have them all that time in a dampish atmosphere that's a pretty good indication of quality!

Nobones
11-18-2007, 07:37 AM
I was out of the house for a lot of yesterday and had only been back a few minutes when my next door neighbour came round with a postal package for me. Couldnít think what it could be, I hadnít ordered anything from anywhere. When I opened it I found a giftbox of stitch holders from Limey Ė absolutely lovely! Thereís a picture of them

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/mikebull/100_8770.jpg

The little one has Tiger Eye beads and the big one is made from some sort of multi-coloured glass.Itís a great idea and Iíve suggested to Limey that they can be used as pin sticks as well Ė two ideas in one, brilliant!A couple of weeks back, I told her that I was looking for a small knitting needle for lace and she sent me a tiny needle Ė 2.75 mm and two others that were even smaller. They must be off the map, theyíre so tiny but Ellie told me they were size 1.5mm and 1.25 mm! I didnít know needles were made that small!I used a 2.75 mm for the little Snowman I made, but the needles were bamboo and I'm a VERY tight knitter and found it quite fiddly with my long needles, I'm now making a range of small dolls on these needles and it's so much easier for my knitting, the long needles aren't getting in the way and I can transfer the stitches so much smother now. Thanks to these new neddles Iím all set up to knit some fine lace Xmas presents I want to make.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/mikebull/100_8774.jpg

I just love these knitting needles! They really are smooth and the metal cable one is so flexible, itís unreal. As for the plastic cable, I almost forgot it was there. I know Limeyís busy with her website today but her stuff should really go on the Buy, Sell, Swop

momwolf
11-18-2007, 09:16 AM
I use Limey's needles and they are the BEST needles I have ever used!!!!!!!!!!!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_3_7.gif I have Options,Addis,and Harmony and I only use these because I don't have all of the sizes in Limeys needles.So if you want some EXCELLENT needles give Limeys a try.You'll be glad you did.

Nobones
11-18-2007, 09:32 AM
I use Limey's needles and they are the

I agree, I love the fact the metal cable stays where you want it to. I also like the the fact my stitch transfer is much smother now. I can't remember who it was asking about needles for tight knitters, (tension wise not money!) but these are the one's for you.

I'll be using Limey's needles to ast on my 'Cinderalla Topsy Turvy doll', so I'm really looking forward to that. I've jsut got to get the Christmas knitting out of the way!

Nobones
11-19-2007, 05:20 AM
I've been on Limey's new site and ordered some needles and stitch markers. Thanks Limey love the new site.

Take a look; http://countonknit.com/begin/index.php

DQ
11-19-2007, 07:01 AM
Those circs look good! I'll definitely keep them in mind for the next time I need to buy some :thumbsup:

Susan P.
11-19-2007, 08:02 PM
Well, you've clearly got a winner in terms of the small needle market there Limey and I must admit, I do have some problems with the usual cable on circs twisting in places I wish it wasn't. It's not a huge issue per se but good to know there is another option in the marketplace. What are you finding the average postal time to the US is from the point of the person purchasing and their credit being cleared (or whatever the process is).

Susan P.
11-19-2007, 08:05 PM
Oh, and I gave up on that knitting and will try and undo it. Some was cast off and its double knitted so it may be a pain. :)

Limey
11-20-2007, 04:03 PM
this is just a test

http://www.countonknit.com/begin/

Limey
11-20-2007, 07:32 PM
Hi Susan

Sorry I haven't replied to you before now but I've been a bit snowed under the last couple of days.

Average postal times to the US - are usually 3 days to the West Coast and five days to the rest of the USA. I've never been able to figure out why my stitch markers arrive in CA and WA two days earlier than NY and ME.

It takes, on average, 6 days to reach Australia - but in your case, may take a little longer, especially if my kangaroo can't climb your particular gum tree. :whistle:

Said needles are now on their way and I hope you enjoy using them.

All the Best