PDA

View Full Version : Hammock?

jess_hawk
11-17-2007, 02:18 AM
Has anyone ever knit a hammock? I know I saw a pattern a long time ago, but I had a lot of things OTN at the time and so I didn't try it. I own a hammock, but its a handmade one from Ecuador, and its getting slightly stretched and I'm paranoid about ruining it. I don't want one of the ones that has a bar at either end - they aren't nearly as comfy as the "banana-shaped" ones. I can't remember what they are officially called. Anyways, do you think that if I used Red Heart SS and did a double strand in really big, loose guage it would be strong enough? I don't have the patience to knit anything that big in tight guage, nor the money to use high quality rope or other fiber. For the end pieces I'd use something stronger, though.

Ingrid
11-17-2007, 11:17 AM
I think it would hold weight, but I also think that you're butt will be on the ground after a few days. I think that's why they use rope on hammocks.

suzeeq
11-17-2007, 12:31 PM
Double or triple stranded cotton might work better, but it stretches too. You could look at heavy cording of some kind, maybe it wouldn't stretch as much, and of course there's lightweight rope.

knitasha
11-17-2007, 04:52 PM
Or nylon twine from the hardware store -- strong, weather-resistant and probably doesn't stretch.

Knit a big swatch and hang it for a couple of days with a heavy weight in the middle to see how it reacts.

jess_hawk
11-17-2007, 05:22 PM
I use my hammock indoors - I have my bed lofted and it makes excellent seating underneath - so weatherproof doesn't matter. Hmmm... maybe I'll mix fibers and use some RHSS to keep cost down and some nylon twine to stop stretching.