PDA

View Full Version : araucania

feministmama
11-17-2007, 12:59 PM
What do y'all think of this yarn? I've seen it in some LYS recently on display (they knit this swatch out it that is fabulous). THere is an alpaca that is so soft it is as yummy as mmmmmmmalabrigo. Yeah I said it. There it is. So has anyone used it yet?

Ingrid
11-17-2007, 01:08 PM
I have some that I got on sale somewhere. I've only gotten as far as a swatch just to play, but it is verrrrry soft!

bip
11-18-2007, 12:03 AM
I have the alpaca (atacama, yes?) I would not say it is as soft as malabrigo. It does have some itch when it is knit up because of the length of the alpaca fibres. It is still very lovely and I have my eyes out for the right sale to get more!

mimi
11-18-2007, 09:24 AM
I have only used the Araucania Nature Wool, but it was wonderful to knit with and worked up well. So far the pilling is minimal, and their colors are vibrant.

bip
11-18-2007, 12:05 PM
I LOVE Nature's Wool. I thought it would be scratchy, but for 100% wool, it really isn't. I wear a t-shirt under the sweater I made with it (http://www.flickr.com/photos/54745504@N00/1625538829/), but it doesn't itch in the arms or collar where it touches my skin (I mostly wear the t-shirt to protect the wool from my deodorant!)

I recently bought some Nature's Wool bulky and I can't wait to choose a project for it.

The difference between the Nature's Wool and the Atacama is that on the skein, the Atacama feels about 1000x softer. But when knit up and blocked, the Atacama has those long alpaca hairs that tend to "tickle". It isn't as bad as the mohair in Lamb's Pride, that's for sure! In fact, on the skein you would guess that Lamb's Pride is softer than Nature's Wool, but the latter is much less scratchy when knit! (IMHO)