PDA

View Full Version : emusic site, anyone here have it?

figaro
11-17-2007, 01:58 PM
I was given 50 free downloads for joining verizon and I thought I would finally take advantage of it. I figured that they would have some good music and I needed more for my ipod. Now I suddenly feel really old, like about 90! I have found only a handfull of songs, not albums, songs that I like. All the rest are groups I have never heard of before.

Anyone here know what the deal is with them?

debb
11-18-2007, 01:18 PM
well, they don't seem to be a major conglomerate. I also got hooked with a free offer and I think about cancelling it every month, then I find something else, but I really am going to cancel it after the holidays. I find I'm too old school and I prefer my music on cd. That said, I have been surprised by what I have found. what sort of music do you like? I have rather eclectic musical tastes, so I have managed to get most of my downloads used each month. If you do sign up, that is one thing to keep in mind - if you don't use your monthly allocation, they don't roll over to the next month.

Their customer service has been good when I've had problems (mostly due to my own forgetfullness and ignorance).

figaro
11-18-2007, 02:40 PM
I like some 70's and eighties rock (BTO comes to mind), some country, some contemporary (Is Neil Diamond in this group?), I think eclectic in a way but a little different than that.

debb
11-18-2007, 07:39 PM
Have you tried doing a search for the artists you like? If they don't have anything by them available, there's usually a list of similar artists that might strike a chord with you. They seem to have more indie type bands.
Last year, I found quite a bit of christmas music that I didn't have if you like that.
And I have seen quite a bit of country, mostly older though.
Hopefully you'll be able to use your free downloads and then cancel the service.

SteveDallas
11-19-2007, 05:00 PM
I was a subscriber for some time, and I really liked it. (We got rid of it just to save money.)

From a technical standpoint, what makes emusic different from almost any other legit download store is that there is no protection on the files. So you can burn them to a CD or use them on any brand of music player that plays MP3 files. It also means you if you cancel your subscription, all the files you downloaded will continue to work indefinitely.

From a business standpoint, the major record labels have been unwilling to sell digital files without some form of copy restrictions. (This is slowly changing.) So emusic is not home to the latest pop music hits. But if what you're looking for is found on smaller labels, it migh be just your thing. My interests are mainly classical, broadway, and jazz, and there was always plenty of new stuff each month to keep me interested. But your mileage may vary!

figaro
11-19-2007, 05:14 PM
Thanks, I think I will be canceling as I am not able to find stuff I recognize at all.

And is your name referring to Bloom County and/or Opus? I love both of those!

Matdredalia
11-21-2007, 02:15 PM
Emusic, in my opinion, is really lacking. They don't really have much popular music, whether it's older or newer. I'm all for Indie-Music, but they sell themselves as an all around music site, not an Indie site, and it's kind of irritating.

starburst
11-22-2007, 11:46 PM
I somehow won some downloads from emusic and I couldn't find a whole lot that I liked so I ended up getting a few Johnny Cash CDs and that was it.

As for Neil Diamond being contemporary...well...not so much haha

figaro
11-23-2007, 10:36 AM
I just cancelled my subscription. I don't feel like wading through a lot a musicians I never heard of to find the 5 that I have heard and liked.

Jeremy
11-23-2007, 12:02 PM
Try the music site Pandora. Start out by telling it a song that you do like and know. It will start playing music like it some of which you will not have heard before. When I listen at work I write down the names of the groups or singers I've liked.