PDA

View Full Version : I CAN PURL!!

Beating_Earth
11-17-2007, 08:18 PM
:woohoo: I learned today with the help of my DH. Now I can actually work on something .. after I practice inc and dec.

:woohoo: :cheering: :yay: GO ME!!!:woot: :happydance: :knitting:

Jan in CA
11-17-2007, 08:20 PM
Good for you! :woohoo:

The.Knitter
11-17-2007, 08:21 PM
Way to go! Your DH taught you? Does he knit as well?

starburst
11-17-2007, 08:22 PM
congratulations! When I first learned to knit, my sister handed me two needles and demonstrated how to to a knit stitch. Unfortunately she had to leave before she showed me how to purl. I called her a month later and asked her to describe how to do a purl and all she could come up with was "It's like a backwards knit" so I tried in vein for hours to figure out how you could knit backwards!

I had a friend teach me how to purl in July and I'm finally back in business

Beating_Earth
11-17-2007, 09:19 PM
No, DH doesnt knit really. He just played with it when I decided to pick it up. He watched the video on here and showed me what I was doing wrong. He's good at "reverse engineering" stuff like that.

I dont even have a person to show me how. I have a book - The Complete Idiots Guide to Knitting and Crocheting. I am starting with knitting and then when I have that down better Ill try crocheting

boo1
11-17-2007, 10:11 PM
:knitting:

gatorjade
11-19-2007, 04:26 AM
You're lucky for two reasons:

1. Your DH has an interest in knitting.

2. Your purling was a success. (I tried purling for the first time tonight, and it did not go over very well. Alas, I'm still trying.)

Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

knitncook
11-19-2007, 09:04 AM
:woohoo: You are now a REAL knitter. From here everything is a piece of cake. Everything else is really based off these two stitches, so don't ever be afraid of anything again!! By learning that tiny little purl stitch you can do all kinds of things. Ribbing, moss stitch, patterns, lace, and socks! :woohoo:

rissa
11-19-2007, 10:07 AM
Thats awesome! Just a warming, you are well on your way to being as hooked as the rest of us. :happydance:

Abbily
11-19-2007, 12:23 PM
WOO HOO, good for you! :) I wouldn't worry about 'practicing' inc and dec before you start a project, though... let your project be your practice!

GiddyKnitter
11-19-2007, 12:40 PM
Oh bless your heart I remember when I first learned to knit and purl I thought I was so clever. Off you go now on lovely knitting journey!

MMario
11-19-2007, 12:41 PM
Isn't being able to knit and purl the greatest feeling? It took me quite li9terally over 40 years to learn how to purl - I can't figure out *why* ; but it did!