PDA

View Full Version : Lost a little knitting mojo

ChristyH
11-18-2007, 12:09 PM
I have recently finshed my first two color project and it turned out great and probably swelled my head. So I cast for the November Mystery Sock which lists that it is for intermediate to advnaced knitters. Heck I am intermediate knitter, at least I think I am. I frogged that sock twice and decided that knitting is suppose to be relaxing and not causing me stress. After deciding not to knit I cast on for another sock called Crusoe from Knitty but the cast of 40 stitches made me nervous that I wouldn't be able to wear it, so I frogged that as well. Now I am knitting a sock which I am not exactly happy with because I have to fight the needled doing purl 3 together leaving stitch on the needle then yo and then purl the same three stitches together again, then slip off the needle. My bamboo needles are bent. :frog: I think that sock is headed for the frog pond. :wall:

I don't feel like casting another on now. How do I get the mojo back? :pout:

The.Knitter
11-18-2007, 12:21 PM
I would take a step back. Knit something you KNOW won't frustrate you for a while, so you get your confidence back. Keep knitting, but make it something you are comfortable with. Then after that WIP is finished, go back and try the sock again. Sooner or later something will "click" and then you will understand what is going on with the sock (for me it's usually in the middle of the night and then I have to get up and try it). I usually have one mindless knitting WIP on the go so that if a project frustrates me I have something to go back to, just to keep me knitting.

Good luck!

mommydearest
11-18-2007, 02:33 PM
When I get frustrated with a project (socks) I make a dishcloth. I have a book of 12 dishcloths and I try a new one each time. I'm not giving up on the socks but sometimes I need something that doesn't take up too much time. I'm knitting a beanie too and my mind has to be fresh to do that one as well, at least until I get back to the easy part.

Don't give up just give yourself some time.

Mary

knitgal
11-18-2007, 02:45 PM
I agree with everyone else. You should knit something else right now. The common problem seems to be that you're frustrated with knitting socks, so knit something completely different.
I usually knit dishcloths like mommydearest for a quick, satisfying project, but you could do a hat, or anything else your heart desires! Just make sure you like knitting!

iwouldratherbeknitting
11-18-2007, 04:50 PM
I recently took a break of 3 months of not knitting- I just didn't want to knit anything.. and I didn't. Then, I finally started knitting hats to send to Afghanistan. It was finally the act of knitting- knowing that it was going to help someone who would really appreciate the knitted items that helped me get out of the slump.

ACTUALLY, I forgot to add.. that it was also being on a 20 hour+ flight that helped my knitting mojo come back.. it was the first time that I had knitted in 3 months.. but, you know.. after I read, watched the plane movie, I was ready to knit.. So, planning any trips to far flung places in the future? If SO, take your knitting along! :D

Then, I knitted 9 soft drink/water bottle cozy's for others and that about did me in again. :roflhard: I still haven't finished one for myself.

So, is there a charity or local shelter that you could knit a hat or something EASY to donate for the holiday season? Maybe knitting to give will help?

Jeremy
11-18-2007, 05:18 PM
I don't know if this makes you feel any better but you're not the only one http://www.masondixonknitting.com/archives/2007_11.html#002259