PDA

View Full Version : What size circular would I need?

*KnitPixie*
11-18-2007, 05:57 PM
I am making my christmas list and am trying to figure out what size circular needle and what length to get to knit socks..If it helps I would like to use sport weight yarn ( I have only made two pair of socks before out of worsted weight yarn and size 5 needles, it was way too thick for my liking:aww: ) I thought I would try the sport weight..any tips or thoughts would be appreciated

knitqueen
11-18-2007, 06:06 PM
Are you planning on doing magic loop? If so, I feel that a 40" length is the best for magic loop however for something small like socks you could definitely get away with a 32" length. As far as needle size, I haven't made sport weight socks so I'm not sure about that part of your question.

Jan in CA
11-18-2007, 06:13 PM
I think about 3 or 4 would be good for sport weight. You'll have to see which fabric you like better.

I use the two circ method for socks and I like 24 inch, but 16 would be okay, too. The 16 you could also use for hats, too.

*KnitPixie*
11-18-2007, 06:13 PM
I'm kind of intimidated by magic loop although I seen the video and it looks easy enough..I guess I'm being a chicken but My fiance told me to write some things I want for Christmas and although Im not used to this I am trying to because that is how he grew up and hes writing a list so I might as well get some good knitting stuff:teehee: while I dont feel guilty about it hehe I was thinking about getting some addis :inlove: any idea of what sizes I should get? One for sock related knits and then what ?!:think: :eyes:

suzeeq
11-18-2007, 06:52 PM
If you don't want to use magic loop, then you'll have to knit socks on dpns. There are a few circulars that are only 12" long, but I've heard they're difficult to knit with.

*KnitPixie*
11-18-2007, 07:21 PM
I think I may try magic loop, you have all inspired me to give it a go;) So let me get this straight I would buy a 40" cord circ in a size of about 3 or 4 for sport weight yarn.

suzeeq
11-18-2007, 07:26 PM
I'd get a shorter one about 29-32" maybe even 36" unless you're going to do 2 socks at once. But that's me - 40" is too much cord.

*KnitPixie*
11-18-2007, 08:08 PM
okay thanks suzeeq:) have you ever done two socks at once? If so is it hard to do?

suzeeq
11-18-2007, 08:20 PM
I have't even done one sock at once... I was speaking about 40" too much for doing sleeves with magic loop. Look up Silver's sock tutorial, she explains things very well I'm told.

*KnitPixie*
11-18-2007, 08:32 PM
I have't even done one sock at once... I was speaking about 40" too much for doing sleeves with magic loop. Look up Silver's sock tutorial, she explains things very well I'm told.
Oh:teehee:Ok well I'll check silvers tutorial out..Thanks again

Jan in CA
11-18-2007, 10:23 PM
If you don't want to use magic loop, then you'll have to knit socks on dpns. There are a few circulars that are only 12" long, but I've heard they're difficult to knit with.

You can do them on two circs. It's how I do it and I like that method a lot.
http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/2circsocks_start.htm
http://www.socknitters.com/2circs/index.htm

If you want Silver's other tutorials there is a link at the bottom.

suzeeq
11-18-2007, 11:57 PM
Yes, someone (was it you Jan?) mentioned two circs. I don't think you'd need really long ones for that method.

janettle
11-19-2007, 09:06 AM
For 2 socks at a time on 2 circulars:
- the KnitPicks tutorial uses 2 24-inch circulars.
- Cat Bordhi's instructions on the DIY Network use 2 24-inch circulars.
- Antje Gillingham's book uses 1 16-inch circular and 1 24-inch circular. As best I can tell, she is using 2 different lengths so that she can clearly identify which needle she is talking about in the text.

I'm a collector of instructions so that if I don't understand one author, I can read what another says on the same subject:) .