PDA

View Full Version : UGH! So annoyed!

figaro
11-19-2007, 05:09 PM
It snowed here today so I thought this would be the perfect time for me to attempt knitting my daughters some mittens. I found some patterns on the net, now where are those size 5 needles? I have a cupboard upstairs that is part of the bedroom set where I tried to put all my knitting supplies (not yarn, just needles and books) so I look there, nope not there. I look in the bag I am currently using, not there either. :?? I know I have them, I even put them on Ravelry. They are not with the yarn drawer thingy I have, I am about to pull my hair out! For some reason, I looked down and saw 2 hangers sticking out of the bottom of the closet so I opened it up and put them away and I glanced and saw the other bag I use for knitting and there they are!:happydance: But during my frustration, I made a mess with the rest of my needles and now all of my needles plus my knitting notions bag is emptied out on the couch and I am utterly clueless as where to put them! I don't really like putting everything upstairs as I don't knit up there (have you ever tried knitting in bed!:doh:)

I would love to have a area for my things but I don't even know what to put all of it in? And its not like I have a lot of it, what I do have, I want all of it in the same place. I bought a basket with a lid but it is not big enough (:teehee:) for the yarn/books/needles I want near me in case I want to knit something different. I am thinking about the COMPANION FLOOR STAND from Patternworks but not sure about it. I was wondering where do all of you keep your projects that you are currently working on and/or your backups that you don't want put away?

Abbily
11-19-2007, 05:14 PM
Unfortunately, my knitting/sewing/quilting stuff is all stuffed into one plastic, wheeled 5 drawer cart in the computer room, 3 extra drawers in the dresser in the playroom, a small bookcase in the bedroom, and various boxes and bags around the house. I do keep all of my needles in one box in the bedroom.

YouCantBuyThisMovement
11-19-2007, 05:15 PM
The best thing I have ever seen for knitting supplies is a big quilt chest like at the end of peoples beds I guess thats what you call them. I say Put some deviders in there and I think it would be wonderful. Alas I am still putting my things into this cabnet deal in my hallway but soon I hope to make me one perhaps when baby Ethan is a bit bigger.

jess_hawk
11-19-2007, 05:34 PM
I have a very small stash, so I bought two crates (like the plastic "milk crates" but I got metal ones so they look a little nicer). One holds my books and patterns and my synthetic yarns, the other holds my natural yarns. My needles are in needle tubes on top, and I have a bag of notions that hangs over the side. WIPs typically are either in one of the crates or the notions bag, depending on the size of the project.
Anything that is open and stackable can be used to hold knitting stuff. Crates come in all different styles, so you can either find or make some that will fit with your decor, depending on where you want your stash. And since they stack... you can have manymanymany of them without taking up much floor space!

jess_hawk
11-19-2007, 05:36 PM
The best thing I have ever seen for knitting supplies is a big quilt chest like at the end of peoples beds I guess thats what you call them. I say Put some deviders in there and I think it would be wonderful. Alas I am still putting my things into this cabnet deal in my hallway but soon I hope to make me one perhaps when baby Ethan is a bit bigger.
Hope chest. OOOOOOOO I've been wondering what the heck to do with mine. At the moment my mom's using it to hold a bunch of stuff from HER wedding.

starburst
11-19-2007, 06:15 PM
at home I have three of those big under the bed tupperware tubs on wheels so I can just roll it all out of sight

Ingrid
11-19-2007, 06:32 PM
I have a floor stand for my current projects. Similar to the one at Patternworks, but with shorter legs. My sister got it for my birthday. I didn't really think I'd use it much, but it sits in front of the couch and holds a couple of projects that I'm working on, and it's a convenient place to put any extra needles and such that might be laying around when I clean up the living room. If I need to move it to go outside and knit, for example, I just pick up the handles and go.

figaro
11-19-2007, 06:57 PM
Ingrid, I have seen those and I think that might be what I am going to get. Do you remember where you bought yours from? I've seen them at Micheals but they never seem big enough?

Ingrid
11-19-2007, 07:15 PM
My sister got it from her local knitting store in Mass.

This is a picture of it--I put the hanger in front for size. It's not all that big, but in it there is a full-size bulky sweater, a pair of sleeves for another sweater, and a few balls of yarn.

If you do a search for folding knitting bag, there are a few that I found, though not this exact one.

Jan in CA
11-20-2007, 01:48 PM
I have a large bag like this (http://yarnlady.com/yarndescriptions/accessories/bags/medium.htm) that I got from my LYS sitting by my chair and I also use it to carry stuff to Knit Nights. I like that it zips because of nosy pets.

For the rest of the stuff... I have a 3 drawer Rubbermaid(?) rolling cart that I keep in a closet. The top drawer has random needles and odds and ends. The other two have yarn. Oh...I just remembered I have a rolling thing my stepmom got me when I started knitting. It has an abandoned afghan in in it.

I lose needles too though.. usually in hibernating UFOs that seem to disappear for long stretches of time.. :oo:

sparkei49
11-20-2007, 03:54 PM
I KEEP MY NEEDLES IN ONE OF THOSE WINE GIFT BOXES THAT HAVE A LID AND CORD HANDLES. I GOT MINE AT MICHAEL'S FOR $1.99. IT'S PERFECT AND ATTRACTIVE ENOUGH TO LEAVE OUT IN THE OPEN. MY YARN IS KEPT IN RUBBERMAID STACK DRAWER CABINETS ON WHEELS.

figaro
11-20-2007, 04:38 PM
good idea sparkei49! I think I found another reason to go to Micheal's! ;)