PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Year of the Stash! Retiring on Dec 31!

Pages : [1] 2 3

ArtLady1981
11-19-2007, 10:35 PM
Hi y'all! :waving:

The New Year is fast approaching! Are you ready?

Our 2007 Year of the Stash thread was very well received! The support helped many of us decrease the size of our Yarn Stash! It kept us "stash-minded", didn't it?!

I did good at reducing the amount of beautiful yarn languishing in my YARN JAIL this past year! For those of you who might be wondering, "Huh? What is yarn jail???"

Yarn Jail looks different in every knitter's home. In mine, yarn jail is bags, baskets, bins, trunks and closets! Regardless of what the jail cells look like, the outcome is the same: the yarn is not being used, it is locked up in the dark...and doesn't think it has any hope of getting out any time soon! Parole denied!

Does anyone want to join me in 2008 for another auspicious Year of the Stash?
If so, join me on the Stash Train! :grphug: Post a reply here, and if you want to, post Your Goal! We are in this together! There are no rules. Just try to use your Stash as best as you can! Haul it out, organize it, add up your yardage, feel it, think about it, and get excited about it again! It doesn't matter if your Stash is small or great. If you want to do something about it, you are in the right place at the right time! ( If you are reading this and it is already June, don't worry...the Stash Train makes regular stops for New Stashies! Hop aboard!)

This is my personal GOAL (I think it is realistic for me):
For every Stash Yarn project that I complete...I can buy new yarn for a Reward Project. But, I promise to use the New Yarn Reward within 30 days. I will not "stash" the New Yarn! Otherwise, it amounts to one step forward, one step backwards. My Stash Yarn Totals won't diminish! I want to DECREASE the size of my Stash during 2008! So, I won't stash new yarn purchases. If I buys it, I knits it!

Then I move on to another Stash Project. The skein/hank totals don't matter to me. If a Stash Yarn project uses up just 3 skeins, my New Yarn Reward could be for a sweater that requires 15 skeins! I won't think in terms of skein for skein, hank for hank. I will concentrate on "batches" of yarn that I purchased for some reason or another long ago! :shrug:

At this point in time, my stash could be described as S.A.B.L.E.
(Stash Acquistion Beyond Life Expectancy) :aww: That is not a brag...that is a true confession from a serial yarnaholic.

AngMac
11-19-2007, 11:05 PM
I am in! I seriously need to get through my stash. I think mine can also be described as STABLE. I love picking up new yarn and always have a project in mind but I buy faster than I knit and I belong to way too many sock clubs. But, its so fun to get yarn in the mail. :yay:

My goal is to take inventory of what I have and make a list of a project or 2 to complete per month. I also need to destash and give away some yarns that I know I will never use. They deserve a good home.

tropicallie
11-19-2007, 11:24 PM
My stash is rather paltry compared to most as we full-time in our RV so space is really limited. I try to contain my stash to 50 skeins but I have managed to squirrel away close to 100 skeins despite telling myself not to buy more until it's under control. I recently completed two sweaters for DH which took care of about 30 skeins. So my goal is to complete three of the four remaining sweaters before buying more yarn AND to strictly adhere to my 50 skein rule in 2008.

robynbird
11-20-2007, 12:54 AM
I'm in! I went on a buying spree the last few months and now I need to de-stash! i want to finish projects and empty drawers before buying more.

jeanius80
11-20-2007, 01:12 AM
i am in, but i guess my goal is to complete more than i buy. I always buy with a specific project or idea in mind though, it's just the speed at which i knit is much slower than the speed at which i find projects i want to knit ;)

I am hoping for a set of Options for this christmas, since a big problem i have is a limited set of needles in the middle sizes (I have to have multiple WIPs or i completly lose interest in whatever i am knitting) so i am only currently able to have a couple of socks and one worsted weight at gauge project at a time. lace is out, what with my dd running around needing lots of attention still :teehee: large gauge/felting projects are also limited to just one at a time.

Fingers crossed i will stick to my goal and reduce my stash this coming year. Also, i have found ravelry to be such a help at actually SEEING what i have in my stash (and finding perfect project too)

Thanks Artlady (again) :hug:

ArtLady1981
11-20-2007, 04:08 AM
Hi Ang, Tropicallie, Robynbird, and Jeanius!

Welcome aboard the Stash Train! :grphug:

Thanks for sharing your Year of the Stash goals with us! I think your goal is very reasonable, Tropicallie! The 50 skein maximum is a good goal!

Jeanius, that is also a good goal you have...to use up more than you buy up! :teehee: I do the same thing you do: my mind is racing all over the place, thinking about new yarn and this and that while I am in the midst of knitting something else! Sigh. Like tonight, I could hardly wait to get my 3rd bed jacket (pink) onto the blocking board cuz I am itchin' to cast on for my daughter's Central Park Hoodie! I swatched for it today, and then washed and rinsed it and blocked it. Then I had to force myself to go in and finish the dern bed jacket!

Robynbird, I think your goal is very do-able. Just finish up some projects and get some drawers emptied! I know you can do it, too! You will feel so good about movin' that yarn onto better things!

Well, I am off to cast on for my daughter's CPH! YEAH! It is a real easy knit, but aren't some of the simplest patterns just the cutest ones!?? My daughter loves the model sweater. I bought her the same yarn, too...that leafy green Tahki Donegal Tweed. It is hard to find green tweeds. The Tahki Donegal Tweed is real scratchy (ack) and chemically smelling...but the wash/rinse/and final rinse with hair conditioner added to the water really softened up the swatch and removed all hint of the dye smell.

Well, I am waaay off topic! My bad! Sorry. Don't mean to hijack my own thread!

Knit on, good women!! :knitting: Knit on, good men!! :guyknitting:

msmelody
11-20-2007, 04:40 AM
I am in. I have yarn on the way, and need to buy yarn for my DH's scarf and then I need to get rid of most of my stash. All of my yarn have projects in mind, but just need the energy to get them done.

bajanKnit
11-20-2007, 07:24 AM
I wish i had a stash that I could join in but I only have enough yarn for a few winter projects. so by now and the new year I will have none again but I will keep watching you guys to see what you do with your stash good luck all you stash busters.:grphug:

beckyrhae
11-20-2007, 11:54 AM
I'm in again as well. I like your idea of 30 day limit on new yarn, I tended to just add to my stash every time I splurged on new stuff.

One of the things I love about Ravelry is to have a physical view of my stash. Its far from complete though... its one of my goals to complete this holiday season.

JamOKnit
11-20-2007, 12:23 PM
I'm in! I have stuff in my stash that I bought "just because" so part of my goal will be to find projects for all those unintended yarns! I also have a ton of patterns I'd like to try, so another part of my goal will be to try to use what I already have for things I want to knit. Only if I don't have anything appropriate, will I use my Reward yarn purchases to buy the yarn for those projects.
And the last part of my goal is to stop worrying about knitting for everyone else and for gosh sakes, making something for ME for a change! :)
Becky, I'm hoping to have some time over Christmas holiday break to add pics of all my stash to Ravelry....right now I just have the list but I agree, I think having the pics right at your fingertips helps you manage it better and assign the appropriate yarn to appropriate projects.

lelvsdgs
11-20-2007, 03:41 PM
I'm buying my ticket to the stash train! My stash isn't that large because I only just got back into knitting in the last year. That being said, I want to use this as motivation to actually knit something with the yarn I've bought. This is the perfect way...
EEK... now I have to go actually inventory my stash... Then I can set my realistic goal..:woohoo:

knitncook
11-20-2007, 03:53 PM
Here is my stash problem. I have very little yarn that *I* have bought that I don't have a project for. My stash problem is yarn that my mother gave me that is very nice yarn, but may only have a ball or two or one skein, or 3 partial balls (of the same yarn - I've yet to figure that out) that I have nothing to do with. It's all very nice expensive yarn, but what do I do with it? I've looked at several of the "one yarn pattern books" and quite frankly, very little speaks to me. I don't need a matching set of cup cozies (or a tea cozy or a sweater for the dog I don't have) and there are only so many hats I can wear. I've thought about doing some charity knitting, but most of the yarn is inappropriate for the baby items and maybe too scratchy for the chemo caps. (sigh) So most of it just sits unused waiting for Some Project. Why can't I just get rid of it? :D

alleusion
11-20-2007, 03:53 PM
I'd like to book passage on the Stash Train!

My first goal is to get my stash out of lock up...aka out of storage in San Diego. I'm hoping this goal can be accomplished between Feb-May. It requires me flying from Canada to California though, so I need to work on bail for my poor yarn stash first.

GinnyG
11-20-2007, 04:00 PM
You mean you are supposed to USE your stash?????? I thought it was just supposed to be aquired and admired!!!!!!!!!:teehee:

Samsam
11-20-2007, 05:22 PM
I want to join this! I've been thinking about it today.. I think I will create a tally system. Say I stash bust a hat and some dishcloths, that will equal me being able to buy yarn for a bigger project like a tank or shell. I usually buy one skein of something for no attended purpose at all..this will help be cut on that!

ArtLady1981
11-21-2007, 05:45 PM
I am in. I have yarn on the way, and need to buy yarn for my DH's scarf and then I need to get rid of most of my stash. All of my yarn have projects in mind, but just need the energy to get them done.

Hi'ya msmelody! :waving:

I know what you mean by 'energy'. Sometimes that just means 'motivation'. Here is what I did last year, to help me focus on my 'list' of projects.

1) write up a batch of yarn on a 3x5 card, let's say PINK card
2) write up an appropriate pattern for it on another 3x5 card, let's say a BLUE card
3) paperclip them together
4) put them in a recipe file box under the month that you think you want to knit the project

The reason the pattern and the yarn are on separate cards is this: They are only "engaged to be married". By being on separate cards, you can separate them and re-match them with someone else if you change your mind about the match.

I actually made up about a dozen pattern cards, and a couple dozen stash yarn cards...and then "engaged" them once I could see who was available, and who seemed to be a good match!

I still use this system. I just file them in order of importance to me. Like, what I feel like doing the most if first in line.

NOTE: the yarn cards give all the pertinent info about the yarn...color, fiber, gauge etc. The pattern cards say what book and page; the gauge needed, the yardage needed, the recommended yarn type, etc.

I have lots of un-engaged yarn cards and pattern cards...but I am always on the lookout for a match for them!

This system helped me get excited about knitting from stash!

ArtLady1981
11-21-2007, 06:11 PM
Hi y'all! :waving:

Oh my oh my! As I count it up...we have ab out 15 Stashies on board! Welcome to all! Happiness loves company, right?

Beckyrae! I know what you mean about the Ravelry Stash folder! It is a great tool, isn't it? Also kind of an embarrassing EXPOSE about my yarnoholic tendencies! Oh well, I figure other knitters couldn't care less! We all have our own yarn-in-the-closet-secrets! :teehee:

JamoKnit! Yeah, that is my goal, too: adding photos of all my Stash Yarns to my Ravelry Stash file. I also like the Queue thing, too, don't you?

Hi Lee (lelvsdgs)! I added you to MY FRIENDS over at the Ravelry Ranch! Welcome to the Stash Train! Hugs!

Hi Michelle (KnitnCook)! I added you to MY FRIENDS over at Ravelry, too! I know how you feel about the one skein wonders. They don't usually speak to me either. For you, it must be particularly frustrating because these inherited yarns are expensive yarns...just not enough! How about this: start a log cabin afghan!
It is just the right concept! This log cabin idea is featured in the Mason-Dixon book! It is on sale at Amazon. Wonderful book. Worth every penny. click here (http://www.amazon.com/Mason-Dixon-Knitting-Knitters-Patterns-Questions/dp/0307236056)
Here is a photo of it:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51S60SVE2CL._AA240_.jpg

Hi alleusion! Baking a baby, eh!!? Congrats! :thumbsup: And welcome to the Stash Train! There are so many quick cute baby items in the Mason Dixon book. Things that take very little yarn. Visit the Amazon link. A lot of customers posted their knitted items from the Mason Dixon patterns! I love the bibs! Ya can't have enough bibs for teething time. (droooolin' bibs!) ;)

Hi Samantha (SamSam)! I added you to MY FRIENDS over at Ravelry! I want to come visit you in LaLaland someday! Sounds like fun! And lots of knitters to keep us company! Tee Hee! :eyes:

Hi GinnyG! Yeah, I heard that rumor, too! We s'pose to knit the yarn! :teehee: Welcome! Sounds like you're on board! :grphug:

Firey Vixxen
11-21-2007, 10:29 PM
Hey all,
I think I might join this one (I found KH in Oct, so I missed the first round). My mom thinks my stash is too big (Her actual words were "How much more of this knitting carp do you have?") please, I have two 50L boxes and a couple of bags (some of which have gone walkabout. here knitting, knitting, knitting *whistles*) Anyway, to make her happy I'm going to destash. and to start off I'm going to kill some spaceships. boom! :yay:
one question. If you have some yarn for a project, but need a contrast colour to compleat the project, does it count as destashing or restashing?
FV

ArtLady1981
11-22-2007, 02:32 AM
Hey all,
I think I might join this one (I found KH in Oct, so I missed the first round). My mom thinks my stash is too big (Her actual words were "How much more of this knitting carp do you have?") please, I have two 50L boxes and a couple of bags (some of which have gone walkabout. here knitting, knitting, knitting *whistles*) Anyway, to make her happy I'm going to destash. and to start off I'm going to kill some spaceships. boom! :yay:
one question. If you have some yarn for a project, but need a contrast colour to compleat the project, does it count as destashing or restashing?
FV

Hello little Vixxen! :waving: Glad to have you with us!!!
As to your question about the contrasting yarn needed to complete a stash project: It counts as destashing, or restashing, based on what you decide! I think it is GREAT when anyone uses up some stash! :yay: If you need contrasting yarn to finish the project properly, I think you should certainly do it, and pat yourself on the back! :woot:

Hugs from us all! :grphug:

Debbie
11-22-2007, 04:03 AM
Count me in!
My first goal is to either finish or frog some ufo's ... to make a list on Ravelry and finish or restash one before starting a new project. I am going to organize my stash on Ravelry. I will play match maker and make sure that at I have at least 5 yarns and patterns engaged by January 15th.

BostonBecca
11-22-2007, 01:38 PM
I'm in for this year again. To answer your question from the 2007 stashie thread, environmentally conscious yarn is yarn that is dyed with natural dyes, harvested or raised without pesticides, and processed without harsh chemicals, at least in my opinion. There was a great article about this in Fall Interweav Knits I think. It was all about what is organic yarn. Since environmental concerns play a role in my other purchases, I thought they should play a role in my yarn purchases as well. Socially conscious yarns are those that support social causes I believe in, such as supporting local production of yarn and supporting women's collectives in developing countries that provide these women with a stable source of income to be able to support themselves and their children. Sometimes, those social values are contradictory local v. developing country support, but I think they are both important.

ArtLady1981
11-24-2007, 05:01 AM
Count me in!
My first goal is to either finish or frog some ufo's ... to make a list on Ravelry and finish or restash one before starting a new project. I am going to organize my stash on Ravelry. I will play match maker and make sure that at I have at least 5 yarns and patterns engaged by January 15th.

Welcome Debbie! :grphug:

I added you in MY FRIENDS over at the Ravelry Ranch!

ArtLady1981
11-24-2007, 05:21 AM
I'm in for this year again. To answer your question from the 2007 stashie thread, environmentally conscious yarn is yarn that is dyed with natural dyes, harvested or raised without pesticides, and processed without harsh chemicals, at least in my opinion. There was a great article about this in Fall Interweav Knits I think. It was all about what is organic yarn. Since environmental concerns play a role in my other purchases, I thought they should play a role in my yarn purchases as well. Socially conscious yarns are those that support social causes I believe in, such as supporting local production of yarn and supporting women's collectives in developing countries that provide these women with a stable source of income to be able to support themselves and their children. Sometimes, those social values are contradictory local v. developing country support, but I think they are both important.

Gotcha! I appreciate the information!

Have you ever read the book called ARCTIC LACE?
(Arctic Lace: Knitting Projects and Stories Inspired by Alaska's Native Knitters)

It is about Alaska's Native Knitters, who knit with qiviut yarn. The fibre is harvested from a small herd of Musk Ox in Palmer, AK. The co-op is located in Anchorage, AK. The co-op supplies yarn to Native Alaskan knitters only. When the knitter turns in a project, she is paid and is sent more yarn.

The yarn is not dyed unnatural colors.

Anyway, the book is well worth reading! There are patterns in the book, although the Native Alaskan patterns are the secret of the individual native knitter.

HERE (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31ZKN6DSSBL._AA180_.jpg) is a direct link for the book on Amazon.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31ZKN6DSSBL._AA180_.jpg

knitncook
11-24-2007, 09:22 AM
"How much more of this knitting carp do you have?"

Knitting Carp! :roflhard: How do you knit a carp?

knitncook
11-24-2007, 09:38 AM
2) write up an appropriate pattern for it on another 3x5 card, let's say a BLUE card
4) put them in a recipe file box under the month that you think you want to knit the project

The reason the pattern and the yarn are on separate cards is this: They are only "engaged to be married".

I love this idea!! Sometimes I'll look at some yarn and think "this would make a nice (blah)" but a few months later I'll look at it again and think, "Now what was it I was going to do with this?"

I've decided that I am going to take the majority of the yarn that I have and freecycle it. This would be for all that yarn that I just have stashed in a box with no organization. About 2 months ago I divided all my yarn up into "junk yarn" (that which was either cheap (Caron acrylic) or left over bits) and "usable yarn" (that which I thought I could use for a project of some sort) Now I need to give myself permission to get rid of most of the "junk yarn"

Firey Vixxen
11-24-2007, 09:57 AM
Knitting Carp! :roflhard: How do you knit a carp?
Rearange the fishie's scales and you'll get the actual word, but I didn't want to offend anyone by swearing.
and feel free to send any of your rubbish yarn to me. I have decided to use up (and free) a whole lot of scrap yarn in a quilt. the squares will each be random. I'm calling it a "chaos quilt". If it looks really bad, it's still functional an the yarn was just going to be tossed anyway. and I can give it to my sister as Payback.
Now if I can just be good enough to get started, without getting more yarn. and I still have to finish my Xmas Knitting.
I can resist anything except temptation.

mamahoov
11-24-2007, 11:25 AM
Fabulous idea (clipping index cards together)!! Brilliant!!! I have sooo much to do today but I think I will play with yarn instead! {wink}
amy in ne

mamahoov
11-24-2007, 11:35 AM
I'M IN!!!!
I have sooo much stash. DH was laughing because I cleared out my bottom dresser drawer for sock yarn...he doesn't know the half of it :wink:
My goal: to use/donate or otherwise get rid of 5 pounds net(-stuff in counts against me) of yarn.
I knit and crochet and the crochet is sometimes little things using only an ounce or two but it all adds up, right?!
And I hadn't thought of using the Ravelry stash folder...as daunting as it seems I think I will start eating that elephant and start entering yarn.
Great idea...much needed here! Thanks!
amy in ne

ArtLady1981
11-24-2007, 03:39 PM
I'M IN!!!!
I have sooo much stash. DH was laughing because I cleared out my bottom dresser drawer for sock yarn...he doesn't know the half of it :wink:
My goal: to use/donate or otherwise get rid of 5 pounds net(-stuff in counts against me) of yarn.
I knit and crochet and the crochet is sometimes little things using only an ounce or two but it all adds up, right?!
And I hadn't thought of using the Ravelry stash folder...as daunting as it seems I think I will start eating that elephant and start entering yarn.
Great idea...much needed here! Thanks!
amy in ne

Hi Amy in NE! That is where I started...just entered yarn in my Ravelry stash folder. Good place to start. Nice to see it all in one place! What is your handle on Ravelry? I will enter you in MY FRIENDS!

Welcome aboard the Stash Train! :grphug:

kitkat
11-24-2007, 03:50 PM
I am jumping on the train!

My goals -

1. Decrease the stash
2. Decrease the ideas I want to make (1 and 2 go hand in hand).
3. Move forward with the gift ideas I have stashed away (clogs, felted wine cozies, etc.)
4. If it really is an orphan, get rid of it on de-stash or ravelry.

I would love to NOT buy any new yarn but lets face it, that isn't realistic, is it! So I need to come up with a reasonable reward for myself!

ahkatelier
11-25-2007, 01:24 AM
I am AHKAtelier over at Ravelry too.
I have WAY too much yarn. My son moved back home after the army and I gave him my craft room. I still have most of my yarn in his room. I really need to start moving through it.

I get sidetracked so easily with work and everything. Any chance someone will send an e-mail or something to remind us monthly or so that we have a goal?

I need to finish adding the rest of my stash to Ravelry so that I can see what I've got.
My goal is do finish one stash project a month. I may only buy yarn for a new project when I have finished my stash project. :think:
I probably can't start before my Christmas gifts are done. Well, maybe I can destash a couple of yarns for presents...

KnittingNat
11-25-2007, 03:11 AM
I'm in, I'm in, wait for me! I can't afford buying new yarn for a couple of months now, so I have to knit from my small stash! I have yarn for particular sweaters, so after I'm done with New Year's presents, I'll move on to these! And socks of course, I have that yummy Knitpicks Memories sock yarn that just screaming at me "Knit me, knit me, oh please knit me" :roflhard: !

ArtLady1981
11-25-2007, 05:34 AM
I am jumping on the train!

My goals -

1. Decrease the stash
2. Decrease the ideas I want to make (1 and 2 go hand in hand).
3. Move forward with the gift ideas I have stashed away (clogs, felted wine cozies, etc.)
4. If it really is an orphan, get rid of it on de-stash or ravelry.

I would love to NOT buy any new yarn but lets face it, that isn't realistic, is it! So I need to come up with a reasonable reward for myself!

Hi Suzie!

Welcome aboard the Stash Train! :grphug: I made a trip over to the Ravelry Ranch and added you as MY FRIEND! See ya there, and here!

ArtLady1981
11-25-2007, 05:37 AM
I'm in, I'm in, wait for me! I can't afford buying new yarn for a couple of months now, so I have to knit from my small stash! I have yarn for particular sweaters, so after I'm done with New Year's presents, I'll move on to these! And socks of course, I have that yummy Knitpicks Memories sock yarn that just screaming at me "Knit me, knit me, oh please knit me" :roflhard: !

Hi! Welcome sister! Hey, are you on Ravelry yet? I want to add you in MY FRIENDS. And if I've already done so...s'cuse my brain freeze!

ArtLady1981
11-25-2007, 05:41 AM
I am AHKAtelier over at Ravelry too.
I have WAY too much yarn. My son moved back home after the army and I gave him my craft room. I still have most of my yarn in his room. I really need to start moving through it.

I get sidetracked so easily with work and everything. Any chance someone will send an e-mail or something to remind us monthly or so that we have a goal?

I need to finish adding the rest of my stash to Ravelry so that I can see what I've got.
My goal is do finish one stash project a month. I may only buy yarn for a new project when I have finished my stash project. :think:
I probably can't start before my Christmas gifts are done. Well, maybe I can destash a couple of yarns for presents...

Hi Allison! Welcome! :grphug: We have 23 Stashies so far! Oh, BTW, I added you in MY FRIENDS over at Ravelry! Hope to follow your wonderful work!

ahkatelier
11-25-2007, 01:08 PM
Thank you for such a warm welcome. I look forward to the next year and our joint effort to use our stashes well.

Allison:hug:

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
11-25-2007, 01:35 PM
I'm in... my dh keeps taking me yarn shopping (he takes me yarn shopping then hits the video game/electronics stores.... i can't complain then LOL) and it's starting to get out of control :)

KnittingNat
11-25-2007, 02:58 PM
Hi! Welcome sister! Hey, are you on Ravelry yet? I want to add you in MY FRIENDS. And if I've already done so...s'cuse my brain freeze!

You won't believe it, but i haven't even signed to join, i still kinda doubt if i'll use it a lot. You think it's worth it?

ArtLady1981
11-25-2007, 03:01 PM
I'm in... my dh keeps taking me yarn shopping (he takes me yarn shopping then hits the video game/electronics stores.... i can't complain then LOL) and it's starting to get out of control :)

Hey there Stacia (LilHuskiesFootBallMom!) :waving: Sounds like your DH is a real KEEPER! Hang onto that one! :teehee: Glad to have you here!
Let us know how things progress!

ArtLady1981
11-25-2007, 03:13 PM
You won't believe it, but i haven't even signed to join, i still kinda doubt if i'll use it a lot. You think it's worth it?

Go ahead and get yourself on the waiting list! YES it is worth it!
I have a thread somewhere here on KH called: Reluctant Ravelers, Join Me! It is directed towards Ravelers who have been accepted, but have done nothing with the toybox! It seems daunting!

I was a Reluctant Raveler myself! WAS.

Ravelry is a nice way to showcase ALL of your knitting in one place: YOUR NOTEBOOK. It is nice to view ALL of someone else's knitting in one place: HER NOTEBOOK.

But besides that, there are other features that are useful, and helpful.

For example, here is one:
I entered a project that used Malabrigo yarn.
On the side of the project page, there were two links automatically displayed:

1) Other knitters who have done this pattern.The link displays all the ways other knitters have done this pattern. Most use different yarns than me. Some knitters make adustments to the pattern!

2) Other knitters who have used this yarn. This link shows all the ways Malabrigo have been used by other knitters. That in itself is a great inspiration. It is wonderful to see how the different shades of Malabrigo knit up!

Go ahead, sign up...and wait for your invitation. BTW, in the meantime...if you have not downloaded the free Mozilla FIREFOX internet browser, DO SO. It is a much safer way to browse the web...and it works much better with Ravelry and KH, too.

If you do not have a Yahoo account, get signed up for that, too.
You will need a user name and password.

If you do not have a FLICKR photo account, go ahead and get signed up for their free version. You will need it to effectively add photos of your projects and yarns.

In the meantime, knit on good woman! :knitting:

ahkatelier
11-25-2007, 04:07 PM
This is one of the things I really need to complete to get a handle on my stash. I am a little afraid to find out just how much yarn I really have. All those projects not begun.
It takes a while to take all the pictures and save them to Flicker and then add them to Ravelry. I am writing this as 2 bags of yarn are loading onto Flicker...

Yeah for me!!!
A:woot:

ArtLady1981
11-25-2007, 04:14 PM
This is one of the things I really need to complete to get a handle on my stash. I am a little afraid to find out just how much yarn I really have. All those projects not begun.
It takes a while to take all the pictures and save them to Flicker and then add them to Ravelry. I am writing this as 2 bags of yarn are loading onto Flicker...

Yeah for me!!!
A:woot:

BR (Before Ravelry) I made an accounting of my Yarn Stash using Excel because it also adds up the yardage. Sigh. Wanna know my total yardage? :eyes: I will await your answer!

AngMac
11-25-2007, 04:20 PM
I have finally started to put my stash into Ravelry. I really hope that it will help me get control over what I have. I have projects in mind for almost all of the yarn I buy. But organizing all of it and then figuring out what I want to cast on next is my downfall.

ahkatelier
11-25-2007, 10:01 PM
Wow! That's amazing. I would be really afraid to find out how much yardage I have. I added some more yarns just a little while ago. I am up to 94 with a few more bins to go. I guess that is part of the destash process though isn't it?
Okay what's the bad news...good news?

suziehomemaker
11-26-2007, 01:41 PM
I'm in!

I have a bin of yarn that I purchased for making the Great American Aran Afghan. My goal is to finish that blanket in 2008. That would give me an entire bin of storage space for fun new purchases!

My only exception is for charity projects. If I don't have yarn that meets the exact requirements when the project gets to me then I'm definitely going shopping, with a coupon of course!

Secksiebrat
11-26-2007, 04:10 PM
I would like to join. I'm secksiebrat on ravelry. I think I'm going to try and focus on my "sock" yarn this year. I've got enough to probably make 8-10 pairs of socks. I'd be happy if that after my christmas knitting was done I could work on some socks, inbetween some of my other projects to work done my sock yarn addiction.

~danielle~

PurlyGyrl
11-26-2007, 04:18 PM
Oh, please count me in! I wasn't part of this years destashing although I was with you in spirit. I worked hard at using my stash yarns and not purchasing random yarn without a project in mind. It was such a struggle. :teehee:

ArtLady1981
11-26-2007, 05:14 PM
Wow! That's amazing. I would be really afraid to find out how much yardage I have. I added some more yarns just a little while ago. I am up to 94 with a few more bins to go. I guess that is part of the destash process though isn't it?
Okay what's the bad news...good news?

128,553 yards (978 skeins/hanks/balls)

So much to knit, so little time. :eyes:

S.A.B.L.E. Stash Acquistions Beyond Life Expectancy!

2008 will change this ridiculous yardage total dramatically! :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
11-26-2007, 05:16 PM
Oh, please count me in! I wasn't part of this years destashing although I was with you in spirit. I worked hard at using my stash yarns and not purchasing random yarn without a project in mind. It was such a struggle. :teehee:

Welcome little purl girl! You are in the right place at the right time!
Get your yarns organized, roll up your sleeves with us, and get out those needles! :knitting:2008, here we come...ready or not!

ArtLady1981
11-26-2007, 05:20 PM
I would like to join. I'm secksiebrat on ravelry. I think I'm going to try and focus on my "sock" yarn this year. I've got enough to probably make 8-10 pairs of socks. I'd be happy if that after my christmas knitting was done I could work on some socks, inbetween some of my other projects to work done my sock yarn addiction.

~danielle~

Welcome Danielle! :grphug:

Besides De-Stashing... my other goals for 2008 are: learn to knit socks, and Entrelac-anything. I even have some sock yarn that I bought at the Western Washington State Fair about 4 or 5 years ago. I didn't know it was sock yarn until I swatched it. Sigh.

Good for you! We look forward to seeing your Stash Projects. :thumbsup: Be sure and post them here on our thread, as well as in Whatcha Knitting. Or, link us to your Whatcha Knitting post!

ArtLady1981
11-26-2007, 05:23 PM
I'm in!

I have a bin of yarn that I purchased for making the Great American Aran Afghan. My goal is to finish that blanket in 2008. That would give me an entire bin of storage space for fun new purchases!

My only exception is for charity projects. If I don't have yarn that meets the exact requirements when the project gets to me then I'm definitely going shopping, with a coupon of course!

Welcome Suzie! :woot: Yes, I agree with you about charity knitting. I wouldn't make myself "earn" yarn for charity projects either. That is a wonderful work of love! :heart: Keep up that good spirit!

misha rf
11-26-2007, 05:43 PM
I'm gonna stay on the Stash Train for 2008!!

I was sort of successful in 2007. I did use up a lot of my cotton stash! (I'm still going to try to have all of the little ones used up by the end of the year, which will leave me with the cones.) I fell off the wagon kinda hard at SAFF, but it was useless to resist.

Most of my stash is listed in Ravelry (still haven't put the SAFF stuff in yet--need some "free" time to do that). But I'm really going to try veryveryveryveryveryvery hard not to buy any more yarn, unless it's for a charity project and I don't have anything suitable. Unless, of course, I get gift certificates as gifts. I'll try to use those for "rewards" for using up X amount of yarn.

ArtLady1981
11-26-2007, 07:25 PM
I'm gonna stay on the Stash Train for 2008!!

I was sort of successful in 2007. I did use up a lot of my cotton stash! (I'm still going to try to have all of the little ones used up by the end of the year, which will leave me with the cones.) I fell off the wagon kinda hard at SAFF, but it was useless to resist.

Most of my stash is listed in Ravelry (still haven't put the SAFF stuff in yet--need some "free" time to do that). But I'm really going to try veryveryveryveryveryvery hard not to buy any more yarn, unless it's for a charity project and I don't have anything suitable. Unless, of course, I get gift certificates as gifts. I'll try to use those for "rewards" for using up X amount of yarn.

Hi Misha! Welcome aboard the Stash Train! Hey, I nosed around in your (public :teehee:) Ravelry Stash Notebook....mmmmmmm...you have some darn luscious yarns! Wheeeee! You and me are about in the same boat! :eyes:

Looking forward to your successes and your Stash Projects during the coming year!

And I love your living arrangement! One DH and 8 cats! Nice! :woot:

Firey Vixxen
11-27-2007, 12:51 AM
Besides De-Stashing... my other goals for 2008 are: learn to knit socks, and Entrelac-anything.

I want to learn socks and entrelac as well. I've got 4 half used balls of baby wool that could make a loverly entrelac baby blanket. and I need more socks.
as dumbledore says "one can never have too many Socks"
Especially warm, handknitted, well fitting ones wthout holes in them. (No more sewing up sockholes:yay: )

Lisa R.
11-27-2007, 01:33 AM
I'm in. I don't think my stash is as big as some, but there's plenty in there, and my dh finally said, when I brought home one tiny skein for my dd to make some Christmas ornaments, "You're not going to buy any more yarn any time soon, are you?" Since he's been so good, and hasn't said a word before now, I feel I should really make an effort to use up what I have...and it's a lot more than I thought, now that I see it on Ravelry (and that's not complete quite yet).

Anyway, I bought a bunch of skeins to work on some sort of afghan with my dd. We were thinking some sort of mitered square thing, but I'm thinking that my couple of test squares were misshapen,and it might not be as much fun as I thought. Any suggestions for a shared project????

And there's a small batch of stuff I bought on sale without any project in mind, so I need to get cracking on that, too! Just as soon as Christmas is over.

So, my goals are to do the afghan or throw with dd, and to use up at least a couple of projects' worth of yarn before buying more...so dh can better understand the concepts! (He gets buying yarn for a project; he doesn't get buying yarn to keep in the closet! :)

yarnfreak
11-27-2007, 03:03 AM
I'll join in. I don't have a monster stash, but it's enough to make me feel guilty when I look at it. DH is deploying soon, so I'll have a ton of time to kill. Then I can buy new yarn, um, look at, um, yeah. LOL

Debkcs
11-27-2007, 04:05 AM
Count me in, but I'm going to cheat. After the first of January, ALL my stashed yarn except for one color way that will be a spring sweater is going to charity. People where I used to work will be making squares for Warm Up America, a good cause.

I'll need help to not want to fill up the void!

Debkcs
11-27-2007, 04:07 AM
:roflhard: Oh wait! I have a large bin of baby yarn, have to keep that, as Little Miss Avatar likes things I knit.

ArtLady1981
11-27-2007, 04:28 PM
I'm in. I don't think my stash is as big as some, but there's plenty in there, and my dh finally said, when I brought home one tiny skein for my dd to make some Christmas ornaments, "You're not going to buy any more yarn any time soon, are you?" Since he's been so good, and hasn't said a word before now, I feel I should really make an effort to use up what I have...and it's a lot more than I thought, now that I see it on Ravelry (and that's not complete quite yet).

Anyway, I bought a bunch of skeins to work on some sort of afghan with my dd. We were thinking some sort of mitered square thing, but I'm thinking that my couple of test squares were misshapen,and it might not be as much fun as I thought. Any suggestions for a shared project????

And there's a small batch of stuff I bought on sale without any project in mind, so I need to get cracking on that, too! Just as soon as Christmas is over.

So, my goals are to do the afghan or throw with dd, and to use up at least a couple of projects' worth of yarn before buying more...so dh can better understand the concepts! (He gets buying yarn for a project; he doesn't get buying yarn to keep in the closet! :)

Hi Lisa! :waving: Welcome! :grphug:

An idea for a shared project: why not work the LOG CABIN afghan??!! You couldn't work on it simutaneously, but you could take turns adding to it! Knitqueen, a knitter here at KH, posted her log cabin! CLICK HERE (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69807) to see it! The concept is in the Mason-Dixon knitting book! Have you seen this book? It is for sale (http://www.amazon.com/Mason-Dixon-Knitting-Knitters-Patterns-Questions/dp/0307236056/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1196195063&sr=8-1) at Amazon. Worth every penny BTW!

What is your Ravelry handle? I want to add you in MY FRIENDS if I haven't done so already!
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51S60SVE2CL._AA240_.jpg

ArtLady1981
11-27-2007, 04:31 PM
I'll join in. I don't have a monster stash, but it's enough to make me feel guilty when I look at it. DH is deploying soon, so I'll have a ton of time to kill. Then I can buy new yarn, um, look at, um, yeah. LOL

Welcome yarnfreak! :grphug: You are in the right place, at the right time! We look forward to seeing your stash projects! :knitting:Keep us posted here!

ArtLady1981
11-27-2007, 04:33 PM
Count me in, but I'm going to cheat. After the first of January, ALL my stashed yarn except for one color way that will be a spring sweater is going to charity. People where I used to work will be making squares for Warm Up America, a good cause.

I'll need help to not want to fill up the void!

Hi Deb! :waving: Welcome! I think it is a very worthy thing to do with Stash Yarn...donations to charity is a wonderful use of your yarn! Hey, the old saying goes something like "knoweth thine self..."
aka: If you know you won't knit it, give it to someone who will! :knitting:

Keep us posted! :thumbsup:

LadyB
11-27-2007, 08:37 PM
I think I'll come along for the ride too. I don't have a huge stash, but I promised myself I'd use what I have before I get more so I can enjoy the projects, not just the yarn.:thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
11-28-2007, 06:27 AM
I think I'll come along for the ride too. I don't have a huge stash, but I promised myself I'd use what I have before I get more so I can enjoy the projects, not just the yarn.:thumbsup:

Welcome Lady B! I wish I had joined myself to a Stash Train many many many skeins and hank ago! I wouldn't be in this predicatment! :teehee:

We look forward to seeing your stash projects! Feel free to show them off right here! We love to see what things can get done with Stash Yarn!

Firey Vixxen
11-28-2007, 05:39 PM
Remember how i said I have two boxes of yarn and a couple of bags? well, I went into the attic to see if my DS has stolen the toy stuffing (She has) and found two boxes of wool up there:blush:
that brings my total up to three 48L boxes and 4 bags.
maybe mom was right about me having too much Knitting stuff.
:violin:
YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MUCH YARN!!!!
And I haven't started sorting for UFO's yet.
FV

madametj
11-29-2007, 12:35 AM
Totally in, once again! I've got to admit, I didn't follow the stash rules much at all this year:oops:
My stash resolutions are to:
1. Make 1 charity project for every 2 non-charity projects that I do
2. Never have more than 4 projects OTN (it can get pretty out of hand sometimes!)
3. (well this one is totally unrelated...) Update the Stashbuter* thread at least once a week :teehee:
4. Try to determine a project before I buy the yarn

*btw, and little note: It really helps me out when you all give me feedback on the Stashbuster thread, so by all means leave comments and/or suggestions to let me know if I'm doing anything right!

Sunny_Singer
11-30-2007, 01:14 AM
I don't have much of a stash yet, but I can see it growing, as I complete Christmas projects and have left over skeins.
I have bought some yarns on clearance tables because the prices were just too fantastic and the yarns too pretty to pass by, and I do not have projects in mind for these yet, either. When I saw yarn that usually sells for $6 on sale for 75 cents, I gave in. LOL *who wouldn't?*

My goals at the start of 2008 will be:

1. to get all my yarn in one place - which right now is just impossible - I have requested a yarn tote or something similar for Christmas

2. to inventory my "left overs"

3. to find suitable patterns and complete projects with the left over skeins and balls before I buy more yarns

4. to find suitable patterns and complete projects with the yarns I bought on clearance with no project in mind

ahkatelier
12-03-2007, 04:39 PM
This weekend I made a tiny bit of progress( well, judge for yourself). I cast on a Christmas present with some sock yarn I have had for over a year. Of course I had to dye 5 bare skeins of sock yarn yellow to get the right color for Picachu. That makes 5 skeins of very flexible stash a little less flexible. I only needed a little bit to duplicate stitch, but it had to be PICACHU yellow.

I also took photographs of another bin of yarn before putting it back in the bin and storing it in a new place. I LOVE Ravelry's stash feature. Now I can list all my yarn, amounts, and where I put it. Perhaps I will be able to start projects in a timely manner if I know where the yarn is...

ArtLady1981
12-03-2007, 06:21 PM
This weekend I made a tiny bit of progress( well, judge for yourself). I cast on a Christmas present with some sock yarn I have had for over a year. Of course I had to dye 5 bare skeins of sock yarn yellow to get the right color for Picachu. That makes 5 skeins of very flexible stash a little less flexible. I only needed a little bit to duplicate stitch, but it had to be PICACHU yellow.

I also took photographs of another bin of yarn before putting it back in the bin and storing it in a new place. I LOVE Ravelry's stash feature. Now I can list all my yarn, amounts, and where I put it. Perhaps I will be able to start projects in a timely manner if I know where the yarn is...

Way to go, Allison! :thumbsup:

I love the Ravelry Yarn Stash feature, too! I had already created an EXCEL Yarn Stash Inventory...however, it would have been much easier using the Ravelry software. My EXCEL stash yarn inventory has the added feature of being able to ADD UP the total skeins and total yardage in the STASH PILE.

Is there a way to 'nudge' the Ravelry administrators to give us the ability to ADD UP our total yardage & skeins? A suggestion box?

Before I get into any of my Stash Yarn, I am committed to finishing up my OTN's, namely the BORGHILD Viking Knits Cardigan, and those 3 scarves! The 4 of them have been languishing OTN while I made 3 bed jackets, and now, finishing up a Central Park Hoodie for my DD.

I have a bunch of Stash Yarn projects lined up in my Ravelry QUEUE...the first of which will be a cream/white/natural/undyed MALABRIGO cardigan for me. Next, a cream Rowan Polar cardigan.

FIRST, I have to knuckle down on myself! :knitting:I must quit taking all these knitting sidetrips...and get my OTN'S done! (I finished Branching Out last night while the CPH is in final blocking phase. It will get it't turn on the blocking board when CPH comes off.)

Am now working on the Braided Cables scarf while the CPH sleeves and hood are blocking...when they are dry...I will finishing the ribbed bands, seam up...and hand-stitch a zipper in lieu of buttons/buttonholes.

Then, my reward: a STASH PROJECT!

lelvsdgs
12-03-2007, 06:59 PM
Hi'ya msmelody! :waving:

I know what you mean by 'energy'. Sometimes that just means 'motivation'. Here is what I did last year, to help me focus on my 'list' of projects.

The reason the pattern and the yarn are on separate cards is this: They are only "engaged to be married". By being on separate cards, you can separate them and re-match them with someone else if you change your mind about the match.

I actually made up about a dozen pattern cards, and a couple dozen stash yarn cards...and then "engaged" them once I could see who was available, and who seemed to be a good match!

I still use this system. I just file them in order of importance to me. Like, what I feel like doing the most if first in line.

NOTE: the yarn cards give all the pertinent info about the yarn...color, fiber, gauge etc. The pattern cards say what book and page; the gauge needed, the yardage needed, the recommended yarn type, etc.

I have lots of un-engaged yarn cards and pattern cards...but I am always on the lookout for a match for them!

This system helped me get excited about knitting from stash!

Brilliant!!!! I was perplexed as to how I was going to do this... Thanks!:notworthy:

KnittingNat
12-04-2007, 02:59 AM
Ok, so I finished a project from my stash, it's Silver's Palindrome scarf (I'll post a picture when i'll get all my New Year presents done) knit with Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran. It's soft and very nice, but the yarn is soooo splitty! Anyway, I went and got myself 2 skeins of sock yarn... Is this OK by the KAL rules? I did knit from the stash :teehee: . Now I'm on to Fetching from the same yarn (I had to get a bag on sale)...

ArtLady1981
12-04-2007, 03:36 AM
Ok, so I finished a project from my stash, it's Silver's Palindrome scarf (I'll post a picture when i'll get all my New Year presents done) knit with Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran. It's soft and very nice, but the yarn is soooo splitty! Anyway, I went and got myself 2 skeins of sock yarn... Is this OK by the KAL rules? I did knit from the stash :teehee: . Now I'm on to Fetching from the same yarn (I had to get a bag on sale)...

Hi Nat! :waving: Oh please do post a photo of your Palindrome scarf! Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran is simply deeeelicious yarn! I made a sweater using it about 5 years ago. It doesn't split as easily if you use Addi's or Crystal Palace bamboo circs. If you were using OPTIONS...well, they will split yarn is a sec!

There are no rules for this year's "Year of the Stash". Each STASH SISTER sets her own goals and guidelines. Just do the best you can to use your beautiful Stash Yarn!

My personal goal is to knit exclusively from STASH YARN...however, that is unrealistic. So, I let myself buy new yarn for a reward for finishing an old OTN or starting/finishing a Stash Yarn Project. BUT, I am going to make myself use the New Yarn (begin the project at least) within 30 days. It can't go into YARN JAIL with all the other inmates! :teehee:

KnittingNat
12-04-2007, 04:27 AM
I will post the pic when i get home, I promise! I did knit with Options... So maybe that's the reason for the splitty issue :?? My stash problem is that it's not SABLE :roflhard: So I have to buy yarn for some projects. I have a nice stah of acrylic (from my grandma), but it's all different colours and weights, so it's not enough for a nice big project.
Thanks for the encouragement! Can't wait to see your scarves :poke:

knitncook
12-04-2007, 10:38 AM
Yikes, the stash just grew! I went to the store and bought two balls fo the Bernat Bamboo to make my MIL"s chemo hat, but I can't seem to find a good simple pattern. I was going to make the Foliage hat from Knitty as I saw someone else did that hat using this same yarn at Ravelry. But I started it and it looked horrible. I'm using the same size needles as she did, but it just didn't look as well defined. So I frogged it and found some nice soft Caron in my stash (so I did take something out in replacement) I'm still looking for a hat pattern though for this yarn. It's calling for a 10 needle, but I may go up to a 10.5 after yesterday's disasterous attempt.

dreamsherl
12-04-2007, 03:57 PM
I'm in! I was looking into the room where the yarn lives in my house and thinking, "I have to knit all of this before I buy anything else." Almost all of the yarn is attached to some project that was started or in my mind. The biggest project will be to get the room cleaned out and organized so that I will get the projects completed. But anyway, I'm in.

KnittingNat
12-05-2007, 03:00 PM
I know it's still officially 2007, but anyway. Here it is, ta-da:
Silver's Palindrome scarf knit with Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran in Rusty Red on 5mm Options. It was stash yarn, I got a whole bag on sale, so now I'm using it to knit New Year presents. It's a lovely yarn, very soft and yummy! This scarf is for my lovely MIL.

ArtLady1981
12-05-2007, 09:21 PM
Well, I have finished Stash Project #1! Gettin' a jump on the New Year! It is the Branching Out scarf that I have been working on FOREVER. It was made with leftover yarn from my OPAL cardigan project.

I posted the photos of the scarf and cardigan HERE (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1017735#post1017735) in Whatcha Knitting. Please stop by and see my first complicated lace scarf! (well, it was complicated for me...not impossible, but complex!)

jeanius80
12-05-2007, 11:36 PM
:yay: artlady! I am so happy for you to have completed your branching out! i remember how bad it was behaving ;) its beautiful!

Yes...it was behaving very badly until I knuckled down and started installnig lifelines! Then everyone shaped up! Funny how that works...you make a million mistakes when you don't have lifelines...and no mistakes at all once you start installing lifelines. Hmmm.

ArtLady1981
12-06-2007, 07:27 AM
Well, I got another Serial OTN done tonight! Phew! It has been OTN for so long...it is almost considered a Stash Yarn Project!
I posted photos and details in Whatcha Knittin. HERE (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71222)is a direct link to the Post if you would care to take a peek.

Anyway, it is my first priority to get these OTN's finished, then on to greener STASH pastures!

Oh, by the way...I bought some Reward Yarn today. I had to go to Joann's, Etc. (dangerous place to go) fabric store to get a zipper for the Central Park Hoodie. Had to kill time...waiting for DH to get off work and join me for coffee at BORDERS BOOKS. Anyhoo...I managed to mill around long enough to end up in the YARN AISLE. :eyes:

I got 4 skeins of yarn for a capelet or ponchette. It will be a gift for an adorable 11 yr old girl that goes to our church. She is being raised by her momma and auntie. They are a fine family of women!

So, I will start the either capelet or ponchette within 30 days (my rule for myself). It will take about 2 or 3 days to finish! Yeah!!!

goysu
12-06-2007, 10:16 AM
I don't have a really big stash, but I'll see what happens here. Maybe I'll get some good ideas for some yarn in my small stash. Seems the problem I have is I find a project I like and can't afford all the yarn I need. I found a Fast Finish Throw on Lion Brand Yarn's site, but I couldn't afford to buy most of the 9 balls of Jiffy it required or the Speed Stix needles to do it on. *sigh*

ArtLady1981
12-06-2007, 08:54 PM
I don't have a really big stash, but I'll see what happens here. Maybe I'll get some good ideas for some yarn in my small stash. Seems the problem I have is I find a project I like and can't afford all the yarn I need. I found a Fast Finish Throw on Lion Brand Yarn's site, but I couldn't afford to buy most of the 9 balls of Jiffy it required or the Speed Stix needles to do it on. *sigh*

Thanks for contributing your thoughts, goysu! :waving:

Well, if your accumulation of yarn is beyond what you are comfortable with, join us! You don't have to have an 'out-of-control' Stash to join! A little, a lot. Doesn't matter!
Let us know how you do!

madametj
12-06-2007, 10:13 PM
so is the 2007 thread done for?

ArtLady1981
12-07-2007, 05:14 AM
I want to learn socks and entrelac as well. I've got 4 half used balls of baby wool that could make a loverly entrelac baby blanket. and I need more socks.
as dumbledore says "one can never have too many Socks"
Especially warm, handknitted, well fitting ones wthout holes in them. (No more sewing up sockholes:yay: )

:rofl: Dumbledore was right!

ArtLady1981
12-07-2007, 05:19 AM
so is the 2007 thread done for?

Well, technically, NO...but we seem to be gearing up for the NEW 2008 YEAR of THE STASH. Many of us are rummaging around in our yarn, making lists of our Stash, compiling possible matches (Pattern+Yarn), and so forth! Only 24 days left before 2008! :happydance:

goysu
12-07-2007, 12:48 PM
Thanks for contributing your thoughts, goysu! :waving:

Well, if your accumulation of yarn is beyond what you are comfortable with, join us! You don't have to have an 'out-of-control' Stash to join! A little, a lot. Doesn't matter!
Let us know how you do!

Thanks, artlady! I did get about 5 balls of Plymouth Encore on clearance and I had no real plans for it. I just loved the colors, and at 50% off, I couldn't resist.

I think I'll join with the intention of figuring out what to do with that yarn. Also with the intention of finishing the prayer shawl I have on my needles right now.

Debkcs
12-07-2007, 12:57 PM
So much for all my good intentions! Seems a certain Santa's Helper found the KnitPicks site where they are selling batches of sock wool in complimentary colors, and ordered a bag. He also ordered Cat Bordhi's latest book to go along with them. Did I leave the list someplace, or send an e-mail? Me? :teehee: Such a sweet man!

2008 is starting off great!:happydance:

suziehomemaker
12-07-2007, 02:06 PM
That's awesome! It doesn't count if you didn't buy it, right? It would be rude to not accept a gift!

:cheering:

ArtLady1981
12-07-2007, 02:57 PM
Thanks, artlady! I did get about 5 balls of Plymouth Encore on clearance and I had no real plans for it. I just loved the colors, and at 50% off, I couldn't resist.

I think I'll join with the intention of figuring out what to do with that yarn. Also with the intention of finishing the prayer shawl I have on my needles right now.

Well shucks, you are very welcome! :waving: And welcome aboard the Stash Train! :grphug:

I wouldn't has passed up 50% sale yarn either! I love Plymouth Encore yarn! A very nice acrylic blend! My LYS carries it, it is that nice!

Keep up posted Stash Sister!

Hugs.

ArtLady1981
12-07-2007, 02:59 PM
So much for all my good intentions! Seems a certain Santa's Helper found the KnitPicks site where they are selling batches of sock wool in complimentary colors, and ordered a bag. He also ordered Cat Bordhi's latest book to go along with them. Did I leave the list someplace, or send an e-mail? Me? :teehee: Such a sweet man!

2008 is starting off great!:happydance:

Well now, Santa's Helper is a real KEEPER! :thumbsup:
Give him a big ole hug from all your Stash Sisters, will ya!?? :grphug:

Gifted yarn is FREE YARN, IMHO!

robynbird
12-08-2007, 12:55 AM
I've made a couple hats this week with STASH yarn. Although, my second hat, I had to go get a complimentary yarn as I ran out. I posted photos here: http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71358

Debkcs
12-08-2007, 02:47 AM
That's awesome! It doesn't count if you didn't buy it, right? It would be rude to not accept a gift!

I like the way you and ArtLady think, Susie! Matter of fact, I think I think that way also! He is a sweetie, my main gift this year is a new key board. I'm doin' a :woot:

Hmmm, he likes hand knit socks, maybe there is an ulterior motive somewhere?

ArtLady1981
12-08-2007, 02:48 AM
I've made a couple hats this week with STASH yarn. Although, my second hat, I had to go get a complimentary yarn as I ran out. I posted photos here: http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71358

Nice work, robynbird! :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing the link! I love the blues on that darling blue-eyed boy!

slightly addicted to yarn
12-08-2007, 03:06 AM
So, I can join in after New Year? I'd love to join this stashalong - my stash is ridiculous. It's been inspirational reading this thread - sign me up for 2008 please..

ArtLady1981
12-08-2007, 03:47 AM
So, I can join in after New Year? I'd love to join this stashalong - my stash is ridiculous. It's been inspirational reading this thread - sign me up for 2008 please..

Welcome aboard the Stash Train! :grphug: Of course! Join us for 2008! I put you down on our STASHIES list! :waving:

My name is Dollyce and I am a Yarnaholic! ;)

knitwit628
12-08-2007, 12:25 PM
I would like to join 2008! I tried to be in the 2007 Year of the Stash, but I kept on buying yarn... so it didn't work out too well. But this year I am definitely going to try! It'll be like a New Years resolution. I will start once 2008 begins, I still have to buy some yarn for Christmas projects. I hope that's understandable. :) So add me to the list!

ArtLady1981
12-08-2007, 06:14 PM
I would like to join 2008! I tried to be in the 2007 Year of the Stash, but I kept on buying yarn... so it didn't work out too well. But this year I am definitely going to try! It'll be like a New Years resolution. I will start once 2008 begins, I still have to buy some yarn for Christmas projects. I hope that's understandable. :) So add me to the list!

Will do, and Welcome from all of us! :grphug:

Keep us posted on your personal progress! Remember, there are no rules. Each Stash Sister/Brother sets their own personal goals for de-stashing! Do whatever you feel comfortable doing! :thumbsup:

honeybunmom
12-09-2007, 08:06 PM
Count me in! I've gone from having a few skeins of Patons at the end of 2006 to having around 100 yarns in my stash on Ravelry! My knitting eyes are bigger than my knitting time. I bought all this yarn in July for Christmas gifts and am knitting NONE OF IT! I'm out of time and have resorted to the Mason Dixon dish cloth/wash cloth - and I'm buying chenille to do that! I'm bad, bad, bad. I bought a ton of yarn for my dd's winter longies stash and she pl'd in August. Now, I'm on to buying yarn in sweaters quantities to knit for myself. Did I mention dh and I are ttc? So, at some point (I hope), my sweater knitting (which has yet to begin; after Christmas!) will be abandoned for maternity and new baby knitting.

Oh yeah, and my dd just turned 2 in Oct and I'm a full time transactional lawyer. So just when I think I'm going to knit all this stuff I do not know. Yes, I do; conference calls! :happydance: :roflhard:

Please help me.

I'm CocoBean on Ravelry.

Debkcs
12-09-2007, 08:18 PM
My knitting eyes are bigger than my knitting time.

I think most of us can identify with you! Told my husband a few weeks ago that I probably wasn't going to buy another pattern book, "I can find anything I want on the web." We went to Border's later that day . . . boom!
Three new books on my shelf, DH just rolled his lovely brown eyes at me.

ArtLady1981
12-10-2007, 08:05 PM
Count me in! I've gone from having a few skeins of Patons at the end of 2006 to having around 100 yarns in my stash on Ravelry! My knitting eyes are bigger than my knitting time. I bought all this yarn in July for Christmas gifts and am knitting NONE OF IT! I'm out of time and have resorted to the Mason Dixon dish cloth/wash cloth - and I'm buying chenille to do that! I'm bad, bad, bad. I bought a ton of yarn for my dd's winter longies stash and she pl'd in August. Now, I'm on to buying yarn in sweaters quantities to knit for myself. Did I mention dh and I are ttc? So, at some point (I hope), my sweater knitting (which has yet to begin; after Christmas!) will be abandoned for maternity and new baby knitting.

Oh yeah, and my dd just turned 2 in Oct and I'm a full time transactional lawyer. So just when I think I'm going to knit all this stuff I do not know. Yes, I do; conference calls! :happydance: :roflhard:

Please help me.

I'm CocoBean on Ravelry.

Hi Elisa! :waving: Welcome aboard! I took a peek over at the Ravelry Ranch...at your projects folder...AND MY O MY...you have been busy, and such a lot of adorable kids' knits, too! Looking forward to helping you stay motivated to knit up all your Stash in 2008!

You heard the definition of TEAM? Together Each Achieves More!
That's what 2008 Year of the Stash is all about! Keepin' each other motivated!

Hugs! :grphug:

msmelody
12-11-2007, 05:02 AM
Does anyone consider the yarn for charity as part of their stash? I do not, but need to know if my thinking is off.

Debkcs
12-11-2007, 05:18 AM
This is about my fifteenth time here tonight, but had to answer your question. Yes, I do. Since I get such joy out of knitting, any yarn not being worked on is stash yarn.

After the hols, I may give away all but one projects worth, and my dishcloth skeins and sock yarns. That will help me focus,maybe,I think. :teehee:

knitncook
12-11-2007, 05:45 PM
Does anyone consider the yarn for charity as part of their stash? I do not, but need to know if my thinking is off.

I have a rubbermaid container that has "ick" yarn in it. This is a combination of yarn that was "gifted" to me or that is left over from previous projects. Not enough to do a whole project with, but handy to have for when the kids need yarn for something. There is also some RHSS (which I'm not sure where I got it) and some Caron SS that I have from something else as well. I'll knit it up as I have time or just leave it. It is not going on my Ravelry stash and I am not going to inventory it. It's the other tub (and box, and bag, and basket) that I'm trying to reduce!

LadyB
12-11-2007, 06:54 PM
msmelody, I think that if you don't consider it stash, then it's not stash. I am not counting my "ick" yarn on Ravelry, but I AM trying to use it up -- mostly to make room for more of the good stuff.:teehee:

And I guess I can post this here too. I made these Simple Socks using some Knit Picks Bare Superwash from my stash.

Now if only I could keep from buying yarn.:doh: I just went out and purchased some wool for a Christmas present.Oh well. Since it's not yet 2008, maybe it doesn't count yet? Or, since I plan to use it within the next 2 weeks? Here's hoping.

ahkatelier
12-12-2007, 11:51 AM
I like your socks. I have some KnitPicks bare superwash I am trying to get motivated to knit. When I do I want to tie-dye them afterwards. That's what I bought the bare for in the first place, to try my hand at hand-dyeing.
I really thought I'd have to wait til the new year to get started on many stashbuster projects too. I don't think I'll plan to start any new holiday projects at this time though.

yarnfreak
12-12-2007, 03:02 PM
I haven't really bought any yarn in a year. My stash just never seems to get smaller! It's very odd. Like bunnies, yarn is. lol

ArtLady1981
12-12-2007, 05:36 PM

I don't have any yarn designated for charity knitting, but I have lots of yarn that is designated for 'gift projects'. I count it in my stash. But, you should decide for yourself how to tally your charity yarn. There aren't any rules for this 2008 Year of the Stash. Whatever guidelines we want to set for ourselves is OK! I think you have a good head about it! :thumbsup:

One thing I remember from last years Year of the Stash: some of the Stashies were donating some of their stash yarn to charity. For example: Certain Women's Shelters can use yarn. This yarn gives the women and children in the shelter something fun (and constructive) to do! Donating old needles would be nice, too. Even simple pattern flyers for blankets, shawls, scarves...easy stuff. It is worth calling and inquiring at your local women's shelter.

The Stashies counted this donated yarn as "used" and gave themselves credit for it. I think it was a very worthy use of Stash Yarn! :thumbsup:

goysu
12-12-2007, 10:45 PM
The idea of donating stash yarn to women's shelters is a good one, another good idea is see if a women's prison is knitting or crocheting for shelters, like mine. If they are, they can use the yarn also.

As for my stash update, I have to send a money order for another ball of gold for my UFO Jayne hat (all the knitters who love Firefly know the Jayne hat). I'm also steadily plodding along on my prayer shawl on my needles. The Jiffy yarn I bought for the "Fast Finish Throw" I might use for something else or buy the rest of the yarn and needles to finish it.

Which leaves me the rest of the other Homespun skeins and the Plymouth Encore... Hmmm, anyone got any ideas, especially for the Encore? I got 6 skeins, 2 each of 3 different colors.

As for Ravelry, I'm patiently waiting for my invite, which should be any day. Found out I had 808 people in front of me...

ArtLady1981
12-13-2007, 03:34 AM
Love the socks! I really gotta get with it this year and learn to knit socks and learn to knit Entrelac anything!

Thanks for all the good tips, friends! :thumbsup:

I guess I also left out all the 'odd ball yarns' and 'ick yarns' that I have stashed in a couple of boxes, now that you mention it! I,too, didn't include these yarns in my Ravelry Stash folder. Didn't even think about them! :eyes:

This summer I used a lot of these yarns for a CRAZY QUILT afghan for my little granddaughter. Lots of bright solid colors, bright variegated colors and such! She loved it. Wish I had known about that log cabin technique before I labored on all those squares and the stitching them togther! :shrug:

Debkcs
12-13-2007, 03:50 AM
I really love the log cabin pattern. It's changed a lot of my yarns from 'stash' to now usable. The Mason Dixon Knitting book is just full of ideas for projects like that.

My stash is going to grow, I found out. My friend is sending me her Mother's yarns. Her Mom died a few months ago, and she wants the yarn to go to someone who knew her. Since she had great taste in everything, I'm looking forward to getting them.If I can, the yarn will go towards a blanket or something that I can send back to the family.

Dreaming Knitter
12-13-2007, 07:19 AM
I like your idea :thumbsup: Although I'm not yet at a SABLE stage yet.

This year I decided to focus on charity knitting, so I could use up my stash which was mostly acrylic. I thought this was going to be my year of the stash.

Then, mid-year, feeling good at my decreasing stash, I learned from my 3 siblings in the U.S. that they were all coming over for the holidays to be with me and our 78-year-old mom, here in the Philippines.

Of course i was glad they were going to be here, but I was also glad that I had the chance to order lots of yarn and other stuff, and have my siblings bring them over (we don't get much knitting stuff here). That way I saved on international shipping costs plus, I got to order from stores that ship to the US only.

So... my stash has grown more than it has lessened. I already have about 20 balls of various yarns from elann.com and I'm expecting yarn CONES of tencel next week and whatever booty my sibs brought for me for the holidays :woot:

I have to expand my Yarn Jail though :aww:

My minimum target is to knit a few rows of whatever project I'm doing, every day. :knitting:

I'm now on a yarn diet. I have enough yarn to keep me busy for quite a few years. I will do my best not to reach SABLE :teehee:

Dreaming Knitter
12-13-2007, 07:48 AM
I also decided to do something like this, when I wanted to add to my stash this year.

I wanted yarns which were truly nature-friendly, e.g. processed in ways that used the least amount of chemicals, like tencel, or allowed the silkworm to live, such as in tussah silk.

I wasn't strict about the dyes used though.

For me, focusing on such criteria has helped me to limit my stash addition .... there aren't that many choices...but I'm glad they're available.

BostonBecca
12-13-2007, 07:54 AM
If you are on ravelry, come join us in Greenies 2008, a Buy-A-Long for 2008 for people who are committed to doing just what you quoted above and what you are already doing. I am so glad that you are doing this as well. We are up to 80+ knitters/crocheters on ravelry.

Dreaming Knitter
12-13-2007, 09:39 AM
If you are on ravelry, come join us in Greenies 2008, a Buy-A-Long for 2008 for people who are committed to doing just what you quoted above and what you are already doing. I am so glad that you are doing this as well. We are up to 80+ knitters/crocheters on ravelry.
Thanks, but I'm still waiting for my Ravelry invitation... when I do get it, I'll check out the group...

ArtLady1981
12-14-2007, 02:23 AM
I really love the log cabin pattern. It's changed a lot of my yarns from 'stash' to now usable. The Mason Dixon Knitting book is just full of ideas for projects like that.

My stash is going to grow, I found out. My friend is sending me her Mother's yarns. Her Mom died a few months ago, and she wants the yarn to go to someone who knew her. Since she had great taste in everything, I'm looking forward to getting them.If I can, the yarn will go towards a blanket or something that I can send back to the family.

Hi Deb! What a WONDERFUL thought! :hug: Knitting something from her Mom's yarn, and send it to the family! That is such a loving idea! When you get the yarn, let us know what and how much. Maybe we can pool our collective creative juices and come up with something to help you decide!

If you made a log cabin, you could also crosstitch (with yarn) something like this:
"In Memory of Jeanne Smith, Beloved Mother of Jan, John and Jack."

Abbily
12-14-2007, 05:18 PM
Holy cow, it's not even 2008 yet and there are already 12 pages on this thread! :)

Count me in! Artlady, I LOVE your index card idea!! I usually only buy yarn when I have a plan for it, but at this point I have a list of plans that is longer than my life span... and I have a tendency to forget what my plan was for each yarn! I'm definitely going to steal that idea!

My goal is to actually knit up the projects I have already purchased yarn for. I have so many things I want to knit, and the list just keeps on growing. That's fine, but I need to stop buying yarn *now* for a project I know I won't get to till my children are grown! :)

goysu
12-14-2007, 05:27 PM
I got in! Then I put in my stash and OMG!!! I had NO IDEA my stash was like it was. I thought I had plans for the yarn I had, but I have no plans for any of it! Now I'm glad I joined the Stash Train! :)

knitncook
12-15-2007, 08:45 AM
I'm currently busting some of my stash using it to make a "Molly Weasley Scarf" It's just a moss stitch scarf in bulky yarn left over from this summer when I made everyone "Animal Cracker Hats" from Charmed Knits. Even though I made 3 hats, I still ended up with a bunch of yarn leftover. So I'm knitting it up as a long scarf in the leftover black, green and pink. After I finish this I'll still have white and green (the second green color) left to knit with and am thinking of some sort of scarf with a colored cable running down the center or maybe a pair of quick mittens with one of the kids' initials on it. I figure it is the sort of thing that Molly would do with her yarn. Sit and knit it up something so it isn't collecting nargles or so the garden gnomes don't try to run off with it. Molly has a stash, but it is a rotating stash that eventually gets used and replenished.

Dreaming Knitter
12-16-2007, 05:47 AM
In 2008, this is how i'll use my stash:

I'll knit scarves with my current elann.com stash and my coming-soon tencel stash. Mostly for my SO, dearest friends and family.

Then I'll also knit squares for charity. I've signed up for the Shandeh's KAL "Many Colors Charity Afghan Square", and will use up my acrylic and mercerized cotton yarns.

Actually I'm kinda jump-starting it already since I'm already doing 2 scarves with my elann stash. I'm still choosing the pattern for my first square before starting it.

Maybe the afghan square can serve to officially usher in the 2008 year of the stash, for me, since it's a totally new endeavour for me, in terms of being part of a KAL here. So that one gets started sometime January...

robynbird
12-17-2007, 12:18 PM
I've made several hats from stash yarn lately but must admit to buying other yarn. :( Oh well. I do have at least 3 afghans that must be made for my 2 nieces and 1 nephew graduating high school in the spring so I will use mostly stash yarn for those. :)

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
12-17-2007, 03:36 PM
it gets worse for me....

Joann's sent out a coupon madness e-mail with FIFTY PERCENT OFF coupons in it!!!!!!

so yeah, i'm going yarn shopping later this week :) (they're good from the 21st to the 24th).

I do have projects in mind though that i need to get yarn and some needles for so it's NOT THAT bad... tonight i'm printing up the patterns i have in mind for people and putting it in the gallon size bags with the yarn for that project.

ArtLady1981
12-17-2007, 05:33 PM
Holy cow, it's not even 2008 yet and there are already 12 pages on this thread! :)

Count me in! Artlady, I LOVE your index card idea!! I usually only buy yarn when I have a plan for it, but at this point I have a list of plans that is longer than my life span... and I have a tendency to forget what my plan was for each yarn! I'm definitely going to steal that idea!

My goal is to actually knit up the projects I have already purchased yarn for. I have so many things I want to knit, and the list just keeps on growing. That's fine, but I need to stop buying yarn *now* for a project I know I won't get to till my children are grown! :)

Hi Carey! Welcome! :grphug: Glad you like the index card idea! It was my lightbulb moment for 2007! Wish I had thought of it sooner! Woulda saved me hours and hours and hours of rummaging through books, leaflets and magzines, and piles and piles of stash...only to come up empty-handed for a project pairing! Isn't that frustrating? :hair:

I find that organizing my stash, and hauling it out to look at and feel...helps me stay focused on the lovely yarn that is now languishing in Yarn Jail!

Glad to have your support on the 2008 Stash Train this coming year!

All Stashies! Thanks for your support on our 2008 Mission! FREE OUR STASH FROM YARN JAIL! ;)

ArtLady1981
12-17-2007, 06:17 PM
I got in! Then I put in my stash and OMG!!! I had NO IDEA my stash was like it was. I thought I had plans for the yarn I had, but I have no plans for any of it! Now I'm glad I joined the Stash Train! :)

You're so 'on top of it'! :thumbsup: Just got into Ravelry, and you already have your Stash organized and entered! Way to go girl!!! :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
12-17-2007, 06:19 PM

Glad to have you on the Stash Train, Abbily! :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
12-17-2007, 06:22 PM
I'm currently busting some of my stash using it to make a "Molly Weasley Scarf" It's just a moss stitch scarf in bulky yarn left over from this summer when I made everyone "Animal Cracker Hats" from Charmed Knits. Even though I made 3 hats, I still ended up with a bunch of yarn leftover. So I'm knitting it up as a long scarf in the leftover black, green and pink. After I finish this I'll still have white and green (the second green color) left to knit with and am thinking of some sort of scarf with a colored cable running down the center or maybe a pair of quick mittens with one of the kids' initials on it. I figure it is the sort of thing that Molly would do with her yarn. Sit and knit it up something so it isn't collecting nargles or so the garden gnomes don't try to run off with it. Molly has a stash, but it is a rotating stash that eventually gets used and replenished.

Hi knitncook! :waving: Way to go! Stash on, little sister! :thumbsup: Don't want garden gnomes to run off with our yarn! :teehee:

ArtLady1981
12-17-2007, 06:23 PM
I haven't really bought any yarn in a year. My stash just never seems to get smaller! It's very odd. Like bunnies, yarn is. lol

So true! Who know what goes on in Yarn Jail at night??!! :teehee:

ArtLady1981
12-17-2007, 06:31 PM
In 2008, this is how i'll use my stash:

I'll knit scarves with my current elann.com stash and my coming-soon tencel stash. Mostly for my SO, dearest friends and family.

Then I'll also knit squares for charity. I've signed up for the Shandeh's KAL "Many Colors Charity Afghan Square", and will use up my acrylic and mercerized cotton yarns.

Actually I'm kinda jump-starting it already since I'm already doing 2 scarves with my elann stash. I'm still choosing the pattern for my first square before starting it.

Maybe the afghan square can serve to officially usher in the 2008 year of the stash, for me, since it's a totally new endeavour for me, in terms of being part of a KAL here. So that one gets started sometime January...

I jumpstarted my 2008 Year of the Stash, too. My first orders (to myself) were to finish up my nagging WIP's and OTN's. All are now done with the exception of one cardigan and I am almost finished with it. (Borghild) It is awaiting the blocking process. (I've been sick for a week, no inspiration to block anything) I have 6 skeins left, so I started a cami/tank while sick in bed, easy knitting...using the Borghild Viking Cable laid sideways for the band across the bust...then picked up 160 stitches around, and am knitting down as far as the 6 skeins will take me. That'll have to do. The LYS is out of the yarn, and I am not feeling like ordering any online! I am getting 2" with each skein, so it will be a sufficient length for short ole me. I am 5' tall, and my back waist-length is shorter as well.

alli
12-17-2007, 08:01 PM
Hello! Well count me in! This is so exciting.Two of my 2008 goals were to join my first knit-along and also, to use up my ever expanding stash. Presto, just like that I can accomplish both. I definitely need to peruse all the great ideas that have already been suggested for reducing stash. Any and all ideas are definitely welcome. I just got invited to Ravelry so am looking forward to learning more about listing your stash there also. Please, if you have any suggestions for using Ravelry let me know... It is an amazing website and I am just not sure where to begin. My goal for this 2008 Stash Train is plain and simple, reduce my stash... however & whenever possible.
I look forward to spending a fun year together.

ArtLady1981
12-17-2007, 08:19 PM
Hello! Well count me in! This is so exciting.Two of my 2008 goals were to join my first knit-along and also, to use up my ever expanding stash. Presto, just like that I can accomplish both. I definitely need to peruse all the great ideas that have already been suggested for reducing stash. Any and all ideas are definitely welcome. I just got invited to Ravelry so am looking forward to learning more about listing your stash there also. Please, if you have any suggestions for using Ravelry let me know... It is an amazing website and I am just not sure where to begin. My goal for this 2008 Stash Train is plain and simple, reduce my stash... however & whenever possible.
I look forward to spending a fun year together.

Hi'ya Alli! Group Hug! :grphug: Welcome aboard the 2008 Stash Train!

I started a thread a while back called "Reluctant Ravlers, Join Me!".
In it I stated that I had been OVERWHELMED by Ravelry so much so that for quite a while, I did nothing at all with it! So, then, I just got inspired by things others said, and decided to wade in at the shallow end of the pool! So, why don't you join me, Alli?
CLICK HERE (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65674&highlight=reluctant+ravelers%2C+join+me%21) to read my Reluctant Ravelers, Join Me! thread!

Love having you here on our Stash Train! :muah:

BTW, what is your "handle" over at the Ravelry Ranch? I will add you as my friend! Or, you can click my Ravelry icon down here at the bottom in my signature, and it will take you to my Ravelry profile page, and you can add me! (be sure to keep yourself 'logged in' option...then you don't have to type in your user name and password everytime)

Hugs from us all! :hug:

Secksiebrat
12-18-2007, 12:06 PM
I used some of my caron simply soft cranberry stashed yarn to knit on the oddball lapghan! I didn't use it all, BUT it was stashed yarn none the less!

~danielle~

Knittingnonie
12-18-2007, 01:25 PM
I'm on board! I've not added all my stashed yarn in Ravelry... in fact I have lots to add/do there yet... but I have lots of yarn to use up. Quite of bit of my stash is acrylic stuff that I've acquired over the years when I was learning how to knit. My church is building cottages to house families with foster children and my goal is to use up my stash of acrylics to knit up quick and simple afghans for them.

Realistically, I think I can knit up one afghan per month in addition to whatever other project I want to knit.

I love your index card tip, ArtLady! My challenge has been that I get motivated to knit a specific item and buy the yarn for it and then it sits there in my stash long enough for me to forget what project I bought it for! :shrug:

lelvsdgs
12-18-2007, 05:40 PM
I used some of my stashed yarn (black WoolEase) to make my DSO a pair of fingerless gloves. He is a photographer back east and his hands are always cold when he is out shooting. They went into the mail this morning. I am also making another pair for a co-worker who runs in the early mornings. She is always eyeballing mine so I am using some of my stash to surprise her for Christmas... Haven't yet used an entire skein but I am making a small dent.

ArtLady1981
12-18-2007, 10:21 PM
I used some of my caron simply soft cranberry stashed yarn to knit on the oddball lapghan! I didn't use it all, BUT it was stashed yarn none the less!

~danielle~

Hey there Danielle, secksiebrat! ;) Hooray! Doesn't that feel gooood? Caron Simply Soft is such luscious yarn! Glad you could utilize it! Cranberry! Nice color, too! One more lot of yarn is sprung from yarn jail! :woot:

ArtLady1981
12-18-2007, 10:27 PM
I'm on board! I've not added all my stashed yarn in Ravelry... in fact I have lots to add/do there yet... but I have lots of yarn to use up. Quite of bit of my stash is acrylic stuff that I've acquired over the years when I was learning how to knit. My church is building cottages to house families with foster children and my goal is to use up my stash of acrylics to knit up quick and simple afghans for them.

Realistically, I think I can knit up one afghan per month in addition to whatever other project I want to knit.

I love your index card tip, ArtLady! My challenge has been that I get motivated to knit a specific item and buy the yarn for it and then it sits there in my stash long enough for me to forget what project I bought it for! :shrug:

Oh yeah, I feel ya on that one! That is the main reason my Stash has become so ridiculously out-of-control! I forget what I have and how nice it is! Doh.

Hey, the quickest, nicest afghan I have seen lately (especially good for utilizing paroled stash yarn) is that log cabin afghan as seen in the Mason-Dixon book. Have you seen this afghan pattern?

I used up a gob of acrylic stash yarn this summer for a patchwork quilt-afghan for my 5 yr old granddaughter. But I will never ever ever ever again make 60-something afghan squares again! Not after having seen that easy-peasy (and beautiful) log cabin design concept!

Thanks for sharing your goals

! And, you are most welcome about the index cards. I still use them faithfully. I "un-engaged" two cards yesterday, and re-engaged them to other cards! TeeHee! I love my "power plays"! :teehee:

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
12-18-2007, 11:40 PM
I really need to get my OTN's done up... at this point:
sleaves for a weasley sweater
red weasley sweater (have the back panel 1/3 of the way done, this is my take along project)
purple socks (first sock 1/2 done, second sock down to ribbing the cuff right now.. i'm doing both at once so they come out the same!)
shawl for me.

ArtLady1981
12-19-2007, 12:27 AM
I really need to get my OTN's done up... at this point:
sleaves for a weasley sweater
red weasley sweater (have the back panel 1/3 of the way done, this is my take along project)
purple socks (first sock 1/2 done, second sock down to ribbing the cuff right now.. i'm doing both at once so they come out the same!)
shawl for me.

Way to go, Mom! Good to get a full picture! I feel so good about getting all but one of my OTN's done and out of my hair! I can start a brand new project with no guilt! I am going to wash, rinse and block the 5 pieces for BORGHILD tomorrow...and tonight I am feverishly working on the matching 'in the round' cami/tank for it. I had 6 skeins of yarn left over...kinda stashy in a way! I will wash, rinse and block it, too! I want to wear this sweater-set to our Bebruary 2-day retreat: Two full days of Bible talks, family counseling, children's counseling, etc. Dressy business attire. I've lost 10 lbs recently, so I think the set will look better on me than otherwise. :eyes:

KnittingNat
12-19-2007, 06:47 AM
I'm using my stash! There, I admit. Right now I've finished Fetching for FIL, I just need to block them a bit and they were knit with the same Cahsmerino Aran as the scarf for MIL. I'm also using the same yarn for a ski hat for my dad and I'm making headbands for my mother from an acrylic stash I got from my grandmother. I'm also using that stash to knit an oddball pillow case, which I'm going to put on a pig pillow and give my dear dog, Tyra (as seen on avatar). She deserves it! I started putting my stash on Ravelry, but I need to take pictures of it all. I'm also trying to match the stash to queued (sp?) projects on Ravelry, instead of the cards system (ArtLady, no offence :teehee: ).

msmelody
12-19-2007, 03:14 PM
I am starting my first stash program. A blanket for one of my children. It will be 70" x 80" in ridged slip stitch. I have about 40 skeins of Bernat Softee Baby in Mint and Lilac to make two blankets of the same size. Might have to order more yarn to complete both. But getting these blankets done will use more than half of the stash.

LadyB
12-19-2007, 07:24 PM
I think I'm in trouble. I've been very good at not purchasing more, and am working:knitting: on 2 projects that use up some stash yarn. Well, I just signed up for a spinning class that starts in Feb. and I get a 20% discount on everything in the storecloud9 from now until the class ends. Even worse, I got some extra spending money. I think I may be doing some stash enhancing in 2008:shifty:....What are the rules for this thing again?!?:teehee:

amyknits
12-19-2007, 09:33 PM
Count me in!! I thought I had my stash under control & then I found 2 other "stashes" around the house....I'm sure there are more!! I'll have to get in all together to figure out where to start. I love the notecard trick! Thanks. I also like the idea of knitting stash first & then a new project, but I don't think I could do it all in one month. You must knit fast!! Lightning fingers!:woohoo: I better get started!!:knitting:

ahkatelier
12-20-2007, 02:22 AM
I started Jared'sKoolhaas cap from Interweave Holiday using some winter white stashed yarn. DD requested a beanie in winter white for Christmas.
I also took photos of another bin of yarn to put on my Ravelry stash page. I should get my laptop back soon. Then I'll be able to post my photos again.

Knittingnonie
12-20-2007, 03:03 AM
I just used the pattern search feature on Ravelry for the first time to take a peek at those Log Cabin afghans... that looks like the perfect stash buster for me. Thanks for the suggestion!

ArtLady1981
12-20-2007, 02:30 PM
I think I'm in trouble. I've been very good at not purchasing more, and am working:knitting: on 2 projects that use up some stash yarn. Well, I just signed up for a spinning class that starts in Feb. and I get a 20% discount on everything in the storecloud9 from now until the class ends. Even worse, I got some extra spending money. I think I may be doing some stash enhancing in 2008:shifty:....What are the rules for this thing again?!?:teehee:

Hi Lady B! :waving:

:grphug: No rules this year...personal goals prevail! :teehee:

ArtLady1981
12-20-2007, 02:50 PM
I'm using my stash! There, I admit. Right now I've finished Fetching for FIL, I just need to block them a bit and they were knit with the same Cahsmerino Aran as the scarf for MIL. I'm also using the same yarn for a ski hat for my dad and I'm making headbands for my mother from an acrylic stash I got from my grandmother. I'm also using that stash to knit an oddball pillow case, which I'm going to put on a pig pillow and give my dear dog, Tyra (as seen on avatar). She deserves it! I started putting my stash on Ravelry, but I need to take pictures of it all. I'm also trying to match the stash to queued (sp?) projects on Ravelry, instead of the cards system (ArtLady, no offence :teehee: ).

Yeah, the queue thing on Ravelry is a good organizer. My personal queue is some of the 3x5 card "matches" I have made. I entered my favorite 20 in the queue. I love that feature! But, I make my matches using the cards first.

I think I just like to have the cards for a "hands on" thing. It helps me think and visualize...especially when I am trying to pair patterns and yarn. I lay the un-married cards out...pattern cards on the left...and the yarn cards out on the right...and I can just 'see' who will go with who. I grab up a "pair", paperclip them together, and keep eyeballing the remaining cards. Sometimes I will "un-marry" certain pairs if another pattern card needs the yarn more...and find a new mate for the pattern card that needs a new yarn mate.

The cards are a tool that help me visualize what I have, and who might go with who based on: 1) gauge 2) fiber content and 3) color...in that order.

You are impressively making progress with your stash yarn! Good for you!

Yesterday, I began a project for my granddaughters. It will use up most of the 30 skeins (Rowan All Seasons Cotton/light gold) I've had forever and a day. An Ebay purchase from a yarn shop in UK.
The All Seasons Cotton was hard to find a pattern for. It is 16st=4" basically, so you can see it is kinda worsted, kinda not.
I finally found a pattern yesterday at JoAnn's. I bought this yarn for these two granddaughters in the first place, not realizing how hard it would be to find the right pattern.

I cast on yesterday...(the body is worked in one wide piece up to the armhole region)...and I got about 4" done...but I will need to force myself to stop and get my Viking Knits cardigan (5 pieces) washed, rinsed, and blocked. Then I still need to finish the matching cami/tank (same yarn) that I'll wear with the cardigan.
It is 75% done, but ever so boring. All st st except for the Viking Cabled band that spans across the chest. Knit in the round. :eyes:
St st in the round is such boring work!

pineapplesnowballs
12-20-2007, 02:56 PM
Please count me in! Between knitting from my stash and just plain ol' de-stashing, 2008 will be the year all my imprisoned yarns get set free!

ArtLady1981
12-20-2007, 02:58 PM
I am starting my first stash program. A blanket for one of my children. It will be 70" x 80" in ridged slip stitch. I have about 40 skeins of Bernat Softee Baby in Mint and Lilac to make two blankets of the same size. Might have to order more yarn to complete both. But getting these blankets done will use more than half of the stash.

Way to go Msmelody! :thumbsup: Blankets are so much fun, and so gratifying! They are so worthwhile because they are used everyday!

ArtLady1981
12-20-2007, 03:00 PM
Please count me in! Between knitting from my stash and just plain ol' de-stashing, 2008 will be the year all my imprisoned yarns get set free!

Hi Pineapplesnowballs! :waving: Yeah! Way to go! :thumbsup: Me too! Welcome! Keep us updated about your projects as you begin or finish them up! We just love photos, too!

KnittingNat
12-20-2007, 05:25 PM
Yesterday, I began a project for my granddaughters. It will use up most of the 30 skeins (Rowan All Seasons Cotton/light gold) I've had forever and a day. An Ebay purchase from a yarn shop in UK.
The All Seasons Cotton was hard to find a pattern for. It is 16st=4" basically, so you can see it is kinda worsted, kinda not.
I finally found a pattern yesterday at JoAnn's. I bought this yarn for these two granddaughters in the first place, not realizing how hard it would be to find the right pattern.

I cast on yesterday...(the body is worked in one wide piece up to the armhole region)...and I got about 4" done...but I will need to force myself to stop and get my Viking Knits cardigan (5 pieces) washed, rinsed, and blocked. Then I still need to finish the matching cami/tank (same yarn) that I'll wear with the cardigan.
It is 75% done, but ever so boring. All st st except for the Viking Cabled band that spans across the chest. Knit in the round. :eyes:
St st in the round is such boring work![/quote]

way to go on stashbusting! That's a majot amount of cotton going on there... Don't be so bored of knitting st st in the round - watch a movie while you do that :thumbsup: And we want to see that Viking Cardigan with the matching tank :poke:

ArtLady1981
12-21-2007, 01:00 AM
Way to go on stashbusting! That's a major amount of cotton going on there... Don't be so bored of knitting st st in the round - watch a movie while you do that :thumbsup: And we want to see that Viking Cardigan with the matching tank :poke:

Hi again KnittingNat! :waving:
The skeins only have 98 yards. But I must admit, I don't know what I was thinking when I got all 3 bags of 10 skeins per bag. Maybe a free shipping offer combined with a closeout sale price?
This UK lady (sells on Ebay as Cucumberpatch) has hard-to-resist sale prices! And she offers free shipping to the USA quite often acutally! I bought 30 skeins of red Rowan POLAR from her, and then 30 skeins of off-whtie Rowan POLAR, all free shipping. I think Rowan is discontinuing POLAR. But I love it! So I grabbed the warm red (my aran afghan), off-white, and a light silvery blue. I made a suit using the light silvery blue. I haven't used the off-white yet, but it is on the queue!

The Viking Knits cardigan (the BACK and 2 FRONTS) are on the blocking board as we speak! When they are dry, I will do the sleeves, and perhaps the cami-tank, if it is done. My DH saw the FRONTS, on the blocking board on the floor of the Garden Room (my blocking room! lots of light) and commented: "Wow, that is really nice!" Coming from the fashion 'silent type', that is a HUGE compliment!

Stash on, Good Women! :thumbsup:

KnittingNat
12-21-2007, 09:11 AM
Cucumberpatch and Janette's rare yarns both have great sales and are sooo hard to resist!
WTG on your hubby's compliment! Supportive hubbies are very important :)

ArtLady1981
12-23-2007, 09:43 PM
Welcome Karen G! I hope you find this 2008 Year of the Stash thread! Post us a little note, and tell us about your personal De-Stashing goals for 2008! :hug:

veekcee
12-23-2007, 11:50 PM
Count me in! I keep telling myself I'm not buying anymore yarn, then, I go to the yarn store for one item and walk out with that one item and a few more hanks of wool, yikes!

Committing through this KAL should keep me honest. :wink:

Firey Vixxen
12-24-2007, 03:59 AM
Well, My stash is a lot more organised (And somehow, without being added to takes up more room :?? ) and I counted at least 15 UFO's.:hiding:
So my stash goals are:
1: get my stash down to 2 boxes.
2: Shoot down (Compleat) 10 UFO's
3: Knit Knit And Knit somemore :teehee: :X: :teehee:
FV

Debkcs
12-24-2007, 01:39 PM
Just to clarify, is 'stash' yarn skeins that are languishing with no patten planned for them, or all yarns, whether we know what to do with them or not. Just curious . . .

I intend to give away a lot of the stuff that I have, either post it here, or just take it to the Salvation Army store, depending on what it is, and if it still has a label. Want it put to good use, if I'm not going to use it.

lelvsdgs
12-24-2007, 01:48 PM
I just finished up another project using some of my stash! I made fingerless mitts for a co-worker out of some really nice cashmere/wool/acrylic I got at JimmyBeans. It was so nice to work with, I'll have to buy more once I get my stash down a bit... It feels so good to be using up what I already have! Getting to knit with no guilt!

ArtLady1981
12-24-2007, 04:27 PM
Count me in! I keep telling myself I'm not buying anymore yarn, then, I go to the yarn store for one item and walk out with that one item and a few more hanks of wool, yikes!

Committing through this KAL should keep me honest. :wink:

Hi Vickie!

"If I sees it, I buys it"...that describes me! So, I try to stay out of the LYS and my favorite online haunts. I am finishing up the blocking of 2007 project (BORGHILD), and am on the last sleeve of a STASH project for my granddaughter! Yeah!

Now, the question is: do I indulge in my reward yarn, or not? My LYS is offering me a huge discount this month because this is my birthday month. My other LYS is having a blowout yarn sale on the 26th. The knitting guild I belong to is having a huge yarn sale at our next meeting on Jan 12th. (a member had to close her shop...so she is bringing all of her unsold inventory for us, for discount pricing!)

Ack! This is gonna be a real TRIAL BY FIRE for a "if I sees it, I buys it" kind of knitter!

It is easier to stay out of the online shops, and once there, it is easier to resist...but, when you visit the LYS and SEE the yarn, and FEEL the yarn...:eyes:

So wish me luck. I know I have earned rewards yarn...but I made a rule for myself that I have to begin knitting the reward yarn within 30 days. ;) Pinch me, please!!

veekcee
12-24-2007, 09:17 PM
Hi Vickie!

"If I sees it, I buys it"...that describes me! So, I try to stay out of the LYS and my favorite online haunts. I am finishing up the blocking of 2007 project (BORGHILD), and am on the last sleeve of a STASH project for my granddaughter! Yeah!

Now, the question is: do I indulge in my reward yarn, or not? My LYS is offering me a huge discount this month because this is my birthday month. My other LYS is having a blowout yarn sale on the 26th. The knitting guild I belong to is having a huge yarn sale at our next meeting on Jan 12th. (a member had to close her shop...so she is bringing all of her unsold inventory for us, for discount pricing!)

Ack! This is gonna be a real TRIAL BY FIRE for a "if I sees it, I buys it" kind of knitter!

It is easier to stay out of the online shops, and once there, it is easier to resist...but, when you visit the LYS and SEE the yarn, and FEEL the yarn...:eyes:

So wish me luck. I know I have earned rewards yarn...but I made a rule for myself that I have to begin knitting the reward yarn within 30 days. ;) Pinch me, please!!

Boy, oh, boy, I feel your pain and see your dilemma! You have some rewards coming up and you can save some money, I say, go for it!!! It's hard to pass up a good deal! :woot:

I think my goal should be to only have 2 projects OTN at any given time. Once I get home from our holiday, I'm going to get all of my stash on Ravelry and try to remember what project I had bought the yarn for. ;) I added some sock yarn to my stash while here in No. CA visiting my son. The LYS here had some Jitterbug which I have heard about but had not seen. Couldn't resist!

On to 2008! It's going to be a great year!

Merry Christmas!

misha rf
12-24-2007, 11:07 PM
Artlady, it's the holidays! I say reward yourself! I think the time before the New Year is ok for shopping. And you can start the "diet" in January. :rofl:

ArtLady1981
12-26-2007, 05:23 AM
Just to clarify, is 'stash' yarn skeins that are languishing with no patten planned for them, or all yarns, whether we know what to do with them or not. Just curious . . .

I intend to give away a lot of the stuff that I have, either post it here, or just take it to the Salvation Army store, depending on what it is, and if it still has a label. Want it put to good use, if I'm not going to use it.

Hi'ya Deb! :waving:

Stash Yarn, IMHO, is any and all yarn in our possession...whether it is "engaged to be knitted"...or languishing in yarn jail with no windows! :teehee: I even sorta count WIP's and OTN's as Stash Yarn if the WIP/OTN is months and months (or years!) old!

If a project is OTN for a long long time, it is in danger of being completely forgotten and eventually frogged!

My first Goal was to finish up all my WIPS/OTNs. I did it! Every WIP I had in early December is DONE! Borhild Viking Knits cardigan and matching cami/tank are drying on the blocking board RIGHT NOW! :woot:

Tomorrow I will seam up BORGHILD...and then make I-cord straps for the cami-tank as soon as it is dry. It is knit in-the-round...so no seaming is necessary. I will thread tiny cord elastic around the top of the bust (hidden) to prevent cleavage alerts. :eyes: I had quite a hard time with the cami/tank which I designed. Talk about a ton of frogging& re-knitting...frogging & re-knitting! "In the round" prevents a 'try-on' until the thing is off the needles. The third time worked good! First time, bust area was way too big...2nd time, waistline area was too small and too short....third time worked! I love it!

I hope to post the 2-pc set next week in WHATCHA KNITTING.
(It was the August Knitting Challenge. Better late than never :doh:)

LadyB
12-26-2007, 02:08 PM
I've finished the Sailor's Rib sweater I've been working on from Arans and Celtics (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9781893762053&itm=1).

:woot:

Yarnmouse
12-26-2007, 04:20 PM

Before you donate that yarn, make sure they actually *will* put it to good use. I went to one thrift store (not sure if it was SA or GW) and asked if they had any yarn or knitting needles and was told they "just throw that stuff away"!!! I was horrified. I let them know it, too!!! I just could not believe all the yarn that I could have used for my charity projects that just ended up in a landfill. <grrr!>

EnjoY!

Tammy

capgemlib
12-26-2007, 10:48 PM
I'm so in--I have SOOO much yarn to use! But I'm not good at transposing one yarn to a project written for another, so I could use help with that.

Lisa R.
12-26-2007, 11:18 PM

Yes, but this is still 2007, right? And 2008 is the stash-busting year, right? So, theoretically, you can go ahead and indulge in the discounts for your birthday month, stock up on (well, it's probably too late for the 26th since your store is closed as I post, I'm sure!). Aw...the Jan 12 thing IS in 2008...but if you use up something between now and then, it could be a reward.

sigh....:-D

ArtLady1981
12-27-2007, 05:02 PM
Before you donate that yarn, make sure they actually *will* put it to good use. I went to one thrift store (not sure if it was SA or GW) and asked if they had any yarn or knitting needles and was told they "just throw that stuff away"!!! I was horrified. I let them know it, too!!! I just could not believe all the yarn that I could have used for my charity projects that just ended up in a landfill. <grrr!>

EnjoY!

Tammy

Tammy! Thanks so much for the information! What an unappreciative bunch they are! Throw out yarn and needles?? :doh:

ArtLady1981
12-27-2007, 05:06 PM
Update! I did go to just one of my LYS haunts, and purchased Rewards yarn...to make BOOGA BAGS for my DD and her two little girls. (I also received a 20% discount because December is my birth month). The shop had a pattern for mini-booga bags (uses just 2 skeins of Kureyon)! So, the little girl booga bags will be mini's...and DD's booga bag will be full-size...which isn't as big as I thought. They had both booga bags made up and displayed. The shop had a boatload of NEW Kureyon colors!!! I got some gorgeous brites that my granddaughters will love! I got a Kureyon color for DD that will complement her new Central Park Hoodie! :woot:

I will make the Booga Bags as soon as my current WIP is finished!
(my rule for myself: must start the reward yarn within one month)

KnittingNat
12-27-2007, 05:12 PM
Update! I did go to just one of my LYS haunts, and purchased Rewards yarn...to make BOOGA BAGS for my DD and her two little girls. (I also received a 20% discount because December is my birth month). The shop had a pattern for mini-booga bags (uses just 2 skeins of Kureyon)! So, the little girl booga bags will be mini's...and DD's booga bag will be full-size...which isn't as big as I thought. They had both booga bags made up and displayed. The shop had a boatload of NEW Kureyon colors!!! I got some gorgeous brites that my granddaughters will love! I got a Kureyon color for DD that will complement her new Central Park Hoodie! :woot:

I will make the Booga Bags as soon as my current WIP is finished!
(my rule for myself: must start the reward yarn within one month)

I think with all the knitting you've done this past month - you deserve some reward yarn:hug:! Could ya post a picture :poke:?

ArtLady1981
12-27-2007, 05:37 PM
I think with all the knitting you've done this past month - you deserve some reward yarn:hug:! Could ya post a picture :poke:?

I am almost ready to post a photo of BORGHILD and the matching cami/tank. They are still drying on the blocking board, as is #1 Sisters Sweater.

The 3 scarves I finished up were posted in WHATCHA KNITTING back in Nov/Dec I think.

Finishing these 3 scarves was my biggest 'round-to-it' of all times! Sigh. I think I stalled and stalled finishing them because they were just for me. I don't get as excited about stuff for myself. Same goes for this Viking Knits cardigan called BORGHILD.

Now, if it is for a gift...I'm all jazzed!

Here is a photo of the 3 scarves anyways!
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_3634.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_3648.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_3683.jpg

Firey Vixxen
12-28-2007, 04:37 AM
Oops.
What more can I say. I've been Eyeing off this yarn for a while, they had a 20% off sale, I have a pattern in mind :chair: I fell off the wagon.
My excuse is I'm trying to budget for the new year so I need to spend While I can.
Yeah, That's It:hiding:
FV

ArtLady1981
12-28-2007, 06:10 AM
Oops.
What more can I say. I've been Eyeing off this yarn for a while, they had a 20% off sale, I have a pattern in mind :chair: I fell off the wagon.
My excuse is I'm trying to budget for the new year so I need to spend While I can.
Yeah, That's It:hiding:
FV

I feel ya! :teehee:

I bought some Reward yarn at my local LYS on Dec 26th. (I know I am repeating this! Forgive me. I'm old!)

I was gonna try not to use Rewards...but, Dec is my birthday month, and she sent me a card giving me an additional 20% an entire purchase, no matter how small or HUGE! Ack! I bought 7 skeins of NORO Kureyon for Booga Bags for my DD and her two little girls. And, a magazine, and a ROWAN book, and, 3 lightweight silky yarn bags. But, I saved 20%! :thumbsup:

KnittingNat
12-28-2007, 06:12 AM
I feel ya! :teehee:

I bought some Reward yarn at my local LYS on Dec 26th. (I know I am repeating this! Forgive me. I'm old!)

I was gonna try not to use Rewards...but, Dec is my birthday month, and she sent me a card giving me an additional 20% an entire purchase, no matter how small or HUGE! Ack! I bought 7 skeins of NORO Kureyon for Booga Bags for my DD and her two little girls. And, a magazine, and a ROWAN book, and, 3 lightweight silky yarn bags. But, I saved 20%! :thumbsup:

this is the picture i was asking for :teehee: Of all your new yarn and stuff:lol:. Though I always enjoy looking at your FO's :rofl:.

ArtLady1981
12-28-2007, 06:17 AM
this is the picture i was asking for :teehee: Of all your new yarn and stuff:lol:. Though I always enjoy looking at your FO's :rofl:.

Okie dokie! Tomorrow morning, I will take a photo of these 3 new colors of Kureyon, and the Rowan book, and the 2 remaining silky bags (gave one away as a gift to a friend)! The silky bags are to hold your bunch of skeins in your knitting project bag, to keep them clean and free from flying fur! Or whatever. For me, it would be salt, and coffee spills! :teehee:

The bags were an "impulse buy", and that darn 20% discount was too tempting!

knitncook
12-28-2007, 10:01 AM
Claire's (the earring shop at the mall) have these small folded bags that woudl be perfect for "safe holding" of yarn for projects currently in progress. Sort of like your bags, Artlady. My son gave my daughter one for the holidays to use as a knitting bag, but I think I may go buy myself some for mid project bags. Thanks for the idea!

michellebreton
12-28-2007, 06:50 PM
OK...I think I'll join in too! I only have one bin full of yarn, but it is overflowing and I really don't have any place else to store anymore. What I would like to work on this year is the projects that I've purchased yarn for but haven't made up yet. Most of what I have in my bin isn't terribly old and I know exactly why I buy it...I just need to knit it up!

I also started spinning a couple of months ago and I've accumulated an impressive stash of fiber too!

My one small exception will be for my DS. He's been asking me for over a year to make him a ski mask. I finally found a vintage pattern that is exactly what he wants. I just need to get one skein of Woolease.

I probably should set a physical goal so I know when it is acceptable to reward myself....hmmm...let's see. How about I need to finish at least one big or two small projects before I can reward myself.

Let's see how we can do!

Michelle

PS...I'm knittinmichelle over at Ravelry

ArtLady1981
12-28-2007, 07:07 PM
OK...I think I'll join in too! I only have one bin full of yarn, but it is overflowing and I really don't have any place else to store anymore. What I would like to work on this year is the projects that I've purchased yarn for but haven't made up yet. Most of what I have in my bin isn't terribly old and I know exactly why I buy it...I just need to knit it up!

I also started spinning a couple of months ago and I've accumulated an impressive stash of fiber too!

My one small exception will be for my DS. He's been asking me for over a year to make him a ski mask. I finally found a vintage pattern that is exactly what he wants. I just need to get one skein of Woolease.

I probably should set a physical goal so I know when it is acceptable to reward myself....hmmm...let's see. How about I need to finish at least one big or two small projects before I can reward myself.

Let's see how we can do!

Michelle

PS...I'm knittinmichelle over at Ravelry

Welcome to the 2008 Stash Train, Michelle! Nice to have you with us! We inspire one another! :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
12-28-2007, 07:18 PM
Hi! :waving:

KnittingNat asked me to post photos of my "Reward Yarn"! So, okay, here is what I bought at Renaissance Yarns, all for 20% off because it was my birthday month! Yippee!

The mini-booga bags only take 2 sk of yarn. I will have my two granddaughter's draw straws about who gets to choose a bag first! (wrapped, and hidden...she will just choose a wrapped bag and see what is inside!)

2 sk NORO Kureyon (#40) for a Granddaughter's Mini-Booga Bag!
There is a lot of fuschia in this color, but it doesn't show in the photo!
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_3739.jpg

2 sk Kureyon (#209) for another Granddaughter's Mini-Booga Bag!
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_3734.jpg

3 skeins of NORO Kureyon (color213) for a Booga Bag for DD to complement her Central Park Hoodie
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_3742.jpg

DQ
12-29-2007, 05:52 AM
Hello :hiding:May I join? :shifty:

I've nearly completed my first year as a knitter and my stash has been steadily growing. It's not huge but I'd love to get some of it knitted up! I think now I'm getting more confident with my knitting I should try and do more projects!

I can't afford to buy yarn often, I always grab the chance when I see a good bargain, so I won't go for a reward system. I guess my main goal is to make sure that I knit some projects from the stash, especially those I've already got patterns for.

I do have a nice stashbuster blanket pattern. It knits up really quickly and is great for using the ends and leftovers. :mrgreen:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2399/2063277408_8b0fb9771d.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2156/2062486147_1e9dbfbef7.jpg

It's actually finished now but I don't have a camera cable for the computer at the moment (the dog chewed it). I'm going to try and knit a couple more of those this year :cool:

KnittingNat
12-29-2007, 06:01 AM
ArtLady, it looks like you've hit the jackpot with these colours :thumbsup:! The yarn looks gorgeous and i bet your granddaughters will :heart: the booga bags! The colours for your DD are great too, kinda wintery and warm at the same time. Is it true what many have said about Kureyon and generally Noro yarns on some threads - that it's cheap yarn gorgeously dyed? Is it itchy?

snowbear
12-29-2007, 02:35 PM
I want to join! I've been buying yarn for over 3 years, since I started knitting, and just stashing it.. then when I start a new project, I go out and buy yarn for it w/out trying to use up my stash. My goal for 2008 is to organize and knit up stuff I've been putting off w/ the stash yarn. Then start fresh by the end of the year. My reward is everytime I use something from my stash, whether it is one skein or 10, I put a coupon in my knitting jar.

Then, when I have enough coupons, I'll buy the yarn I want to make something I have never tried, or something I've just got to have. The coupon is something I drew up very simply, and it's value isn't in $'s, it's in the amount of the skeins, the pattern, and needles if neeeded. My excuse to really splurge!

So, hopefully at the end of this year, I will see what I've accomplished, and enjoy the fruits of my labor!

:knitting:

KnittingNat
12-29-2007, 06:34 PM
Ok, I posted all of my FO's here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72663). They all are knit from my stash :yay:, except for the Malabrigo, which was bought on purpose. But it's still 4-5 stash busting FO's. And I won't even reward myself... I'll wait till my birthday in May :whistle:

misha rf
12-29-2007, 11:36 PM
ArtLady, as usual, your FOs are :inlove:!!

DQ, that is a great idea!! What stitch pattern did you use?

I decided to "stock up" (ahem) for the end of the year. It was really hard to ignore the pre-inventory sales, and my husband got me a gift certificate to a LYS for Christmas, so....

When I went to the LYS to spend it, I told the woman that I was going to go on a "yarn diet" next year. She laughed at me (not in a mean way). I think she's gotten to know me over the past few months, and figures she knows better. She may be right, but I'm really gonna try!! :rofl:

DQ
12-30-2007, 07:29 AM
DQ, that is a great idea!! What stitch pattern did you use?

See PM :mrgreen:

misha rf
12-30-2007, 12:04 PM
Thank you!!! :muah:

JamOKnit
12-30-2007, 08:50 PM
Mom willingly added to my stash....I got a giant gift bag full of yarn for Christmas!! :) I think it's 5 skeins of Caron Simply Soft and another 4 skeins of a rainbow colored boucle. Will now need to think of more projects!

jeanius80
12-31-2007, 12:54 AM
i stash busted this past week! here are a couple pics

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2227/2149677643_f5feffe70f_m.jpg http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2126/2149677011_8cb970ef4f.jpg
a lovely, no pattern, impromptu scarf for my 'baby' sister. just under one skein of nashua creative focus brushed alpaca in rose. i want to knit a whole sweater! this stuff is lovely (i was gifted it in a swap)

and a balaclava for my BIL. no pattern again. 2 skeins of cascade 220 superwash. he loves it, and it will get everyday use! yay!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2030/2150469632_0cd36b5bc1.jpg http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2385/2150469326_ba90292212.jpg

:cheering: 2008 off to a great start!

ahkatelier
12-31-2007, 01:46 AM
SnowBear: I love your coupon idea.

I just finished another beanie. My son really liked one of the yarns I bought before Christmas. It is a really pretty Mountain Colors yarn. It used up almost an entire skein. I have been trying to finish that Koolhaas hat for my daughter out of stash yarn, but keep finding myself off on the pattern. I am going to have to got back to my LYS for help.

Took my son to Washington and Oregon the day after Christmas til yesterday. I just had to check out a couple of the local yarn stores there. I bought yarn. I also got a gift certificate to a LYS so I may use it tomorrow. I suppose it's not really in the spirit of stashbusting, but technically it isn't 2008 yet. I guess I could save it for a while. I missed the sale while I was gone anyway.

With the holidays near an end I need to make some project/yarn choices to start. I wasn't able to finish either of my planned knitted Christmas gifts. I do need to continue in a forwardly direction on them. Otherwise it was all wasted time and the yarn isn't used up...

KnittingNat
12-31-2007, 02:54 AM
jeanius80, your stash busting looks wonderful! :thumbsup:

mom2hancj
12-31-2007, 04:12 AM
I would love to be in...I have yarn bins overflowing. I just buy more and more instead of use it up. Time to go on a yarn diet and start creating with the yummy stuff I have stashed. Another goal of mine is to use up partial skiens....of which I have a ton. I need to think of some projects to use those up...they are all mostly wool. If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them.

KnittingNat
12-31-2007, 08:00 AM
I would love to be in...I have yarn bins overflowing. I just buy more and more instead of use it up. Time to go on a yarn diet and start creating with the yummy stuff I have stashed. Another goal of mine is to use up partial skiens....of which I have a ton. I need to think of some projects to use those up...they are all mostly wool. If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them.
How about making colourful huggable hedgehogs:happydance: ?

ArtLady1981
12-31-2007, 10:28 AM
ArtLady, it looks like you've hit the jackpot with these colours :thumbsup:! The yarn looks gorgeous and i bet your granddaughters will :heart: the booga bags! The colours for your DD are great too, kinda wintery and warm at the same time. Is it true what many have said about Kureyon and generally Noro yarns on some threads - that it's cheap yarn gorgeously dyed? Is it itchy?

Hi Nat! :waving:

My first NORO sweater (cardigan) was Kureyon. It isn't exactly itchy, but it ain't soft either. It is warm. I would never use it again for a garment. I like Silk Garden the best, it is not itchy, but again, it is not soft...but has a much better feel than Kureyon! I wouldn't hesitate to use it again and again! I like IRO also. It is about the same "feel" as Silk Garden in a bulky weight. The best NORO is Transitions. It is just yummy! It is soft, and the many types of fibers places within the strands is very interesting! But it is spendy, and I have only made one jacket using Transitions.

I'm glad you like the colors of my new Kureyon! They are new colors for 2008! My little granddaughters will love the brites!

ArtLady1981
12-31-2007, 10:32 AM

Hi Mom2hancj! :waving: Glad to have you with us! :happydance:

A good idea for partial skeins is that log cabin afghan that many knitters are making! It is featured in the Mason-Dixon book, have you seen it?

Another one of our Stash Sisters has a thread here at KH called Stashbuster Ideas. It is filled with a million links for patterns that just take a skein or two! Matter of fact, the Mods made it a "Sticky"! HERE (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53268&highlight=stashbuster+ideas)is a direct link for your convenience!

ArtLady1981
12-31-2007, 10:36 AM
i stash busted this past week! here are a couple pics a lovely, no pattern, impromptu scarf for my 'baby' sister. just under one skein of nashua creative focus brushed alpaca in rose. i want to knit a whole sweater! this stuff is lovely (i was gifted it in a swap) and a balaclava for my BIL. no pattern again. 2 skeins of cascade 220 superwash. he loves it, and it will get everyday use! yay!

:cheering: 2008 off to a great start!

Jeanie! Jeanie! Jeanie! :cheering::cheering::cheering: My o my! You have been a busy lady! WOW! Those projects are wonderful! And no patterns!? I know I couldn't make a balaclava with one single try! Maybe 5 or 6! But never under pressure! You should be very proud of yourself! WE ARE!!!!

ArtLady1981
12-31-2007, 10:38 AM
Hello :hiding:May I join? :shifty:

I've nearly completed my first year as a knitter and my stash has been steadily growing. It's not huge but I'd love to get some of it knitted up! I think now I'm getting more confident with my knitting I should try and do more projects!

I can't afford to buy yarn often, I always grab the chance when I see a good bargain, so I won't go for a reward system. I guess my main goal is to make sure that I knit some projects from the stash, especially those I've already got patterns for.

I do have a nice stashbuster blanket pattern. It knits up really quickly and is great for using the ends and leftovers. :mrgreen:

It's actually finished now but I don't have a camera cable for the computer at the moment (the dog chewed it). I'm going to try and knit a couple more of those this year :cool:

Hi DQ! :waving: You are very warmly welcomed aboard the Stash Train! And you are already inspiring us with your stashbusting projects!!! Thanks for sharing your lovely, colorful, interesting work with us! Waaay to go! :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
12-31-2007, 10:42 AM
SnowBear: I love your coupon idea.

I just finished another beanie. My son really liked one of the yarns I bought before Christmas. It is a really pretty Mountain Colors yarn. It used up almost an entire skein. I have been trying to finish that Koolhaas hat for my daughter out of stash yarn, but keep finding myself off on the pattern. I am going to have to got back to my LYS for help.

Took my son to Washington and Oregon the day after Christmas til yesterday. I just had to check out a couple of the local yarn stores there. I bought yarn. I also got a gift certificate to a LYS so I may use it tomorrow. I suppose it's not really in the spirit of stashbusting, but technically it isn't 2008 yet. I guess I could save it for a while. I missed the sale while I was gone anyway.

With the holidays near an end I need to make some project/yarn choices to start. I wasn't able to finish either of my planned knitted Christmas gifts. I do need to continue in a forwardly direction on them. Otherwise it was all wasted time and the yarn isn't used up...

Hi ahkatelier! :waving: A gift certificate to a LYS???!!! WOW! You really should get yarn with it! That is FREE YARN! And be sure to tell us all about it! Let us live through you for one day! :teehee:

In my book, it doesn't count against the Stashbusting Spirit! FREE YARN!

mom2hancj
12-31-2007, 04:17 PM
Art thanks for the link for the stashbusters idea thread. I will check it out after my nap ;)

A hedgehog sounds adorable. I just finished two dinosaurs for the boys and they love them. I think toys are a huge hit in my house...maybe just cuz mama made em.

My first goal is to sort my stash and organize it a bit. Then I will start planning some projects. I am currently trying to finish up some play food for my ds and a friend. Then I need to finish up a poncho for my niece for her birthday...it is just barely started. Then I need to work on two pair of pants for a friend's lo. Then I will hit the stash hard.

Angie

mamahoov
12-31-2007, 09:48 PM
ArtLady,
GORGEOUS reward yarn!! I would buy it without an "excuse"!! ;)
Hey, maybe I will "reward" myself for losing 5# :teehee:
amy in ne

KnittingNat asked me to post photos of my "Reward Yarn"! So, okay, here is what I bought at Renaissance Yarns, all for 20% off because it was my birthday month! Yippee!
2 sk NORO Kureyon (#40) for a Granddaughter's Mini-Booga Bag!
3 skeins of NORO Kureyon (color213) for a Booga Bag for DD to complement her Central Park Hoodie

mamahoov
12-31-2007, 09:54 PM
Snowbear, FABULOUS idea with the coupons!! Mind if I play along too? Hmmm...maybe 10 coupons = a manicure?? or some new needles??? What a great motivational tool!
amy in ne

mamahoov
12-31-2007, 10:01 PM
OK, tomorrow is the new year. I have all my stash entered in Ravelry--no small feat I must say--GADS! I didn't realize my 'tiny' stash was THAT big! :aww:

I have already used up some of it...too bad it doesn't count for this year. BUT...I am motivated!...and it really helps having it all in one place.
READY! :thumbsup:
amy in ne

robynbird
01-01-2008, 02:03 AM
I love all these ideas! I just finished my first "large" project. I made Juliet from The Zephyr Girls for myself. :) You can see pics on my knitting blog or Ravelry. It only took 8 of the 10 skeins of the Cascade Cloud 9 I had so now to figure out what to do with the other 2 skeings. Decisions...decisions.

knitncook
01-01-2008, 10:20 AM
Snowbear, that is a great idea for keeping a handle on your stash building!! Good luck and I hope your coupons grow quickly for you!

capgemlib
01-01-2008, 11:28 AM
Hey ArtLady,

I LOVE the first pink lacy scarf--where did you find the pattern? My daughter would love this scarf.

Thanks!

capgemlib
01-01-2008, 11:38 AM
Hi Nat,

Do you have a picture of said hedgehog?? That and chinchillas are some of the cuddliest beasts I can think of. Is it something you would shape with knitting, or you would stuff with batting?

KnittingNat
01-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Hi Nat,

Do you have a picture of said hedgehog?? That and chinchillas are some of the cuddliest beasts I can think of. Is it something you would shape with knitting, or you would stuff with batting?

It's a Fibertrends pattern, that you can buy online for about 5.50$. here's (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59546&highlight=huggable+hedgehog) a thread with many of them in different versions. You first shape him with knitting, then felt and then stuff. I'm making one right now.

mom2hancj
01-01-2008, 10:15 PM
One step forward and two steps back?? LOL I started a felted purse that will use up three skiens of some Chunky Mauch yarn. Then I went and bought some Noro Kureyon to make my mom a purse just like it and the FT felted clogs pattern for both adults and kids :aww: But hey the felted clogs pattern will use up some of my stash too right ;)

ArtLady1981
01-01-2008, 10:19 PM
OK, tomorrow is the new year. I have all my stash entered in Ravelry--no small feat I must say--GADS! I didn't realize my 'tiny' stash was THAT big! :aww:

I have already used up some of it...too bad it doesn't count for this year. BUT...I am motivated!...and it really helps having it all in one place.
READY! :thumbsup:
amy in ne

Hi mama! :waving: What is your Ravelry name? I clicked your Ravelry icon, but it wasn't linked to your profile page. I couldn't find you over there. I want to add you to my friends if I haven't already done so! :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
01-01-2008, 10:26 PM
I love all these ideas! I just finished my first "large" project. I made Juliet from The Zephyr Girls for myself. :) You can see pics on my knitting blog or Ravelry. It only took 8 of the 10 skeins of the Cascade Cloud 9 I had so now to figure out what to do with the other 2 skeings. Decisions...decisions.

Hi Robynbird! :waving: I made a cardigan this past winter using Cascade Cloud 9! Oh how I love the feel of it. However, my Cloud 9 (red) turns the arm of my husband's suit RED with fur...and my white blouse RED with fur. In other words, it sheds like the dickens! I don't know what to do about it. Everything I touch, or that it touches, is instantly a red furry mess!

Do you have any ideas what I can do?
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_0908.jpg

ArtLady1981
01-01-2008, 10:34 PM
Hey ArtLady,

I LOVE the first pink lacy scarf--where did you find the pattern? My daughter would love this scarf.

Thanks!

It is the "Branching Out" scarf pattern. It is a free pattern on Knitty.com and you can CLICK HERE (http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/PATTbranchingout.html) for quick reference! The "Branching Out" shown on the website is much lacier and prettier than mine because the model scarf used a finer weight yarn than I did. But, that is the beauty of this pattern! It will accommodate slightly different types of yarn and still turn out nice!

I am glad you like mine! And, BTW, is was an easy pattern because only the right sides have the lacework; the wrong sides are "resting rows"...you just purl the purls and knit the knits! :thumbsup:

FYI: if you don't already do so, learn to install "lifelines" at the end of each pattern repeat. Ack. I learned that the hard way. :eyes:
My most common mistakes are forgetting a yarnover; or, putting in an extra yarnover! :eyes: So, at the end of each row, I always do a head count before knitting my wrong side. :eyes:

mamahoov
01-01-2008, 10:51 PM
Hi ArtLady,
We are already friends over at Rav. See you there!!
{{{not sure how to link. tried unsuccessfully...I am so techno-challenged :P }}}

robynbird
01-02-2008, 01:27 AM
Hi Robynbird! :waving: I made a cardigan this past winter using Cascade Cloud 9! Oh how I love the feel of it. However, my Cloud 9 (red) turns the arm of my husband's suit RED with fur...and my white blouse RED with fur. In other words, it sheds like the dickens! I don't know what to do about it. Everything I touch, or that it touches, is instantly a red furry mess!

Do you have any ideas what I can do?
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_0908.jpg

That's beautiful Artlady! I love the yarn but yes...it got all over everything. Kind of a bummer...not sure what to do about it...carry a lint brush with us? LOL

Dreaming Knitter
01-02-2008, 07:04 AM
I finally got my Ravelry invite and have started my Stash recording. This is the most practical step, I think, in organizing my stash :-)

Happy new year!

ArtLady1981
01-02-2008, 07:27 PM
Yeah!! :cheering: Used up six skeins (out of 30 :doh:) of that All Seasons Cotton I went overboard on!

It is a little cardigan for my granddaughter. I posted more information about it in Whatcha Knitting. Click HERE (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72934)

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/FionasPoseyCardigan.jpg

alli
01-02-2008, 08:10 PM
Love the Sweaters ArtLady! They are beautiful and so inspiring. I am hoping this year with all my stash yarn and knit-alongs that I will get to knit some really fun things like your sweater for my little girl. It is the reason I am learning to knit :)

As for my 2008 Goals, the first one was to join my 1st knit-along, so far, so good on that one. 2nd goal was to discover my stash. This is going to be a slow but steady project. I am going through bag by bag and then listing it on Ravelry (Thanks to your great "New to Ravelry" posts!) I am trying to get one bag done a week. Once done then I can decide on what patterns to go with the stash yarns. Yikes! Well, I am excited to have started this journey and am hoping with everyone's help that I can de-stash, knit cool projects and learn Ravelry during 2008!

Happy New Years!

capgemlib
01-02-2008, 10:56 PM
FYI: if you don't already do so, learn to install "lifelines" at the end of each pattern repeat. Ack. I learned that the hard way. :eyes:
My most common mistakes are forgetting a yarnover; or, putting in an extra yarnover! :eyes: So, at the end of each row, I always do a head count before knitting my wrong side. :eyes:

Thanks ArtLady! :muah:

What do you mean by "lifelines"? Do you mean stitchmarkers, or something else? I am constantly having to recount if there isn't a clear pattern repeat, so any tips to alleviate THAT are appreciated!:zombie:

capgemlib
01-02-2008, 11:03 PM
The "Branching Out" shown on the website is much lacier and prettier than mine because the model scarf used a finer weight yarn than I did. But, that is the beauty of this pattern! It will accommodate slightly different types of yarn and still turn out nice!

I am glad you like mine!

Actually, I like yours better, now that I've seen the Knitty originals--I like the heft of it:yay: It defines the pattern better I think. Thanks again!

DrKnitter
01-02-2008, 11:12 PM
Alright, I'm in! Or at least I promise to try! I just went on a shopping spree this last weekend (just in time for the new year!) for 5 projects! My goal is to actually complete these projects (and a few others I already had yarn "stashed" for) before I buy more! This is a great idea!:knitting:

lelvsdgs
01-03-2008, 03:12 PM
I was a baaad girl yesterday. It was payday and Michael's had all yarns 30% off... I had been doing really well using up my stash so my daughter said, well mom, it's reward yarn! I bought one skein of Patons SWS to finish a scarf (yay! Wool yarn I can actually knit with), two skeins of Bernat Cashmere (one blue and one pink) for fingerless gloves and 2 skiens of red Wool Ease.
To be fair, the Cashemere are both for projects to be done in the next month, does that count???
Well, it was a little over the amount I've used but it could have been so much worse! They were out of a lot of colors I would have bought and that saved the day...
This will be me this weekend :knitting: We are in for a big storm here in "Sunny" California...

mom2hancj
01-03-2008, 04:52 PM
I agree about all the sweaters and pics of FO being inspiring. I am a fairly beginner knitter and would love to learn how to make those beautiful cables and patterns. I'll get there right??

I used up 3 balls of wool in my stash. It was Mauch Chunky and I used a pattern called the Origami bag. I got it at a LYS near my mom in NC.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x74/mom2hancj/origamipurse.jpg

mamahoov
01-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Good job stash busting, ArtLady. :woohoo: The sweater is simply lovely! So inspiring.
a

[quote=ArtLady1981;1034546]Yeah!! Used up six skeins (out of 30) of that All Seasons Cotton I went overboard on!

It is a little cardigan for my granddaughter. I posted more information about it in Whatcha Knitting.

jeanius80
01-03-2008, 06:48 PM
artlady- that cardigan is so pretty in person! I really do love the color.

Angie- what a cool, interesting looking purse! I really like it

lelvsdgs- this is the no rules stash busting year ... i say, if you've been good and knitting from the stash, and have plans to knit the new yarns up fast, then it's ok :thumbsup:

LadyB
01-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Everyone's projects are looking good!:thumbsup:

My latest project was the French Trellis scarf from Victorian Lace Today. I made it of Malabrigo lace weight in the Emerald Blue colorway.

Hope everyone had a great holiday season.

ArtLady1981
01-03-2008, 09:23 PM
Love the Sweaters ArtLady! They are beautiful and so inspiring. I am hoping this year with all my stash yarn and knit-alongs that I will get to knit some really fun things like your sweater for my little girl. It is the reason I am learning to knit :)

As for my 2008 Goals, the first one was to join my 1st knit-along, so far, so good on that one. 2nd goal was to discover my stash. This is going to be a slow but steady project. I am going through bag by bag and then listing it on Ravelry (Thanks to your great "New to Ravelry" posts!) I am trying to get one bag done a week. Once done then I can decide on what patterns to go with the stash yarns. Yikes! Well, I am excited to have started this journey and am hoping with everyone's help that I can de-stash, knit cool projects and learn Ravelry during 2008!

Happy New Years!

:thumbsup: Way to go Alli! You are on your way! I like your term "discover my stash!" Isn't that so true! I am still amazed at the yarn I discover when I am rooting through my yarn closet! Even though the yarn is entered in my Ravelry Stash, SEEING IT is believing it! It is good to haul it out and HUG IT once in a while!

ArtLady1981
01-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Alright, I'm in! Or at least I promise to try! I just went on a shopping spree this last weekend (just in time for the new year!) for 5 projects! My goal is to actually complete these projects (and a few others I already had yarn "stashed" for) before I buy more! This is a great idea!:knitting:

Welcome aboard the Stash Train, DrKnitter! Your goal is a good one! Let us know how you are progressing! We all need inspiration from one another! :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
01-03-2008, 09:26 PM
Everyone's projects are looking good!:thumbsup:

My latest project was the French Trellis scarf from Victorian Lace Today. I made it of Malabrigo lace weight in the Emerald Blue colorway.

Hope everyone had a great holiday season.

WOW! Lady B! WOW! Your French Trellis scarf is absolutely GORGEOUS! Thanks for sharing your knitted artwork with us! :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
01-03-2008, 09:28 PM
I agree about all the sweaters and pics of FO being inspiring. I am a fairly beginner knitter and would love to learn how to make those beautiful cables and patterns. I'll get there right??

I used up 3 balls of wool in my stash. It was Mauch Chunky and I used a pattern called the Origami bag. I got it at a LYS near my mom in NC.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x74/mom2hancj/origamipurse.jpg

Hi mom2hancj!:waving: Really great bag! Love the color combo! Unusual! Unexpected! Very designer! Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
01-03-2008, 09:31 PM
I was a baaad girl yesterday. It was payday and Michael's had all yarns 30% off... I had been doing really well using up my stash so my daughter said, well mom, it's reward yarn! I bought one skein of Patons SWS to finish a scarf (yay! Wool yarn I can actually knit with), two skeins of Bernat Cashmere (one blue and one pink) for fingerless gloves and 2 skiens of red Wool Ease.
To be fair, the Cashemere are both for projects to be done in the next month, does that count???
Well, it was a little over the amount I've used but it could have been so much worse! They were out of a lot of colors I would have bought and that saved the day...
This will be me this weekend :knitting: We are in for a big storm here in "Sunny" California...

Hey, I think you are doing great! Afterall, you daughter knows to call it Reward Yarn! :teehee: Yes, we will call it Reward Yarn! You probably owe yourself several Rewards! And with the sale...it hardly counts!

Now, knit on good woman! :knitting:

ArtLady1981
01-03-2008, 09:45 PM
Thanks ArtLady! :muah:

What do you mean by "lifelines"? Do you mean stitchmarkers, or something else? I am constantly having to recount if there isn't a clear pattern repeat, so any tips to alleviate THAT are appreciated!:zombie:

Lifelines are a contrasting piece of yarn that is run through all the stitches currently on your needle (as if the yarn is traveling along with the needle) to place a "safety net" for the row just knit (Ilet's say a row 10) Just take a tapestry needle with the contrasting yarn after you have knit the last row in the repeat...and before you start the next row...run that tapestry needle with the lifeline yarn through all the stitches on the needle. Then, when you knit the next row, just leave that lifeline in place. You kinda have to take care NOT TO knit the lifeline. Be sure it is freely floating inside the row 10 stitches.

It serves as a safety net. If you ever get all mixed up and in trouble with your lace work, and can't figure out where you are, you know that if you take your knitting off the needle completely, you can rip out back to that lifeline row to start over by threading all the stitches back on your needle from off the lifeline!

I installed lifelines after the last row of the repeat...but you can install lifelines more often, too. Just be sure to mark on a piece of paper WHAT ROW that lifeline is installed on!

For a ten-row repeat...you could use a RED lifeline to mark row 5...and a BLUE lifeline to mark row 10 of the repeat. That way, if you were all mixed up on row 8...you could rip out to row 5, and work back up.

Anyhoo, Amy has a video clip here at KH under TIPS...then scroll down to FIXING MISTAKES...then click the camera by Using a Lifeline!

Dreaming Knitter
01-04-2008, 12:19 PM

Just to let you know I already joined the group :grphug: will post in it soon.... now focusing on recording my stash in my Ravelry notebook.

Lady M
01-04-2008, 04:01 PM
Ok Art Lady, I am in again this year. :muah: Last year I completed 5 projects from my stash and only have a few UFO's on the needles. :woohoo: The Reward Yarn system really worked for me as I went all year without buying yarn until this past December.:cheering:
I took my Christmas money and bought 10 skeins of Malabrigo worsted weight yarn. cloud9 That is 5 skeins in Dusty Olive :heart: and 5 skeins in Burgandy Dash.:heart: As well I bought one skein of Cherrytree Hill sock yarn in the awesome color Cherry Blossom:heart: . I had only a few dollars left after that, of christmas money and I bought 6 skeins of the Vanna's Choice by lion brand. :thumbsup: I actually used more yarn that I bought last year and I forced myself to wait to try the Malabrigo. :happydance: I really think that the wait makes actually getting the yarn so much more sweeter. I am so excited for it to arrive, that keep hearing the UPS truck (LOL) and looking out the window..........=)
This purchase is my total yarn purchases for the year 2007:cheering: and it feels great. This years goal is to finish my 1st sweater:knitting: , for myself, that I keep putting on the back burnner for other projects. Its been on the needles for a year now and needs to be loved and wore.
Keep Knitting.....:knitting: .........Anne........=)

knit2btied
01-04-2008, 05:45 PM
Beautifully done! LadyB!

ArtLady1981
01-04-2008, 07:32 PM
Ok Art Lady, I am in again this year.
Keep Knitting.....:knitting: .........Anne........=)

Welcome LadyM! :waving: Very good to see you again!!!! :cheering:
I did get quite a bit of stash knitted up last year, but I also used a lot of my Rewards. This year, I want to try my best to knit Stash Only...unless something REALLY SPECIAL knocks me over the head! :thumbsup:

I think the "Queue" thing over at Ravelry really helps me keep my focus on projects planned for current Stash. :eyes:

JamOKnit
01-05-2008, 07:15 PM
Starting a stash project tonight....a hat for my friend's baby girl in Caron Simply Soft. Perfect for knitting while watching football!

Debkcs
01-06-2008, 05:39 AM
Hope it's just considered a shortcut,not cheating, I'm giving away the rest (and it's a lot) of the acrylic I have, and all of the wool that is not earmarked for a project. Just don't have room for it, and there are plenty of people who could use it. Held some back the last time, but this time ALL of it goes.

Heck, for $10.00 bucks I'd pack it up and ship it out. :)

After all that goes, thirty five years of unnecessary cooking equipment follows. Thought I might get back into catering at some point, but that isn't going to happen. There is a used restaurant equipment place near here, they'll buy most of it. Now if I could get my DH to unload some of his stuff . . . :roflhard:

robynbird
01-06-2008, 12:02 PM
Hope it's just considered a shortcut,not cheating, I'm giving away the rest (and it's a lot) of the acrylic I have, and all of the wool that is not earmarked for a project. Just don't have room for it, and there are plenty of people who could use it. Held some back the last time, but this time ALL of it goes.

I don't think it's cheating at all! Last year I gave away bags and bags and boxes of acrylic yarn. I kept some and if I don't use it up, I'll give it away also. I bought a lot of Red Heart when I first started to knit and I find I really don't care for it...although it does soften up after washing but I could never in a hundred years use up all I had.

robynbird
01-06-2008, 12:04 PM
This purchase is my total yarn purchases for the year 2007:cheering: and it feels great. Keep Knitting.....:knitting: .........Anne........=)
I'm super impressed! THAT is my goal for the year...to use up what I have and wait for the reward. Waiting is hard for me in everything so I think overall, patience is something I need to learn this year. YIKES!

veekcee
01-06-2008, 07:29 PM
Lady M! Way to go!

I finally got my stash input at ravelry; I have a lot more sock yarn than I thought! Looks like I'll be knitting socks over the next few months.

I'm not going into my stash until I finish my wips. One more to go!:)

mamahoov
01-06-2008, 08:33 PM
Lovely scarf, LadyB!!!

mom2hancj
01-06-2008, 11:10 PM
I have done a bunch of stash busting on small projects to use up partial skiens. Here are some pics in this thread....

http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1037090#post1037090

mamahoov
01-07-2008, 12:26 AM
WOW! great job stash busting! LOVE the food!!! My people would go nuts with those goodies.

LadyB
01-07-2008, 08:32 AM
I have done a bunch of stash busting on small projects to use up partial skiens. Here are some pics in this thread....

http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1037090#post1037090

Great job on all those projects! What a fun way to use up your stash. And your little one is adorable.

Lady M
01-09-2008, 09:59 PM
This year, I want to try my best to knit Stash Only...unless something REALLY SPECIAL knocks me over the head! :thumbsup:
I think the "Queue" thing over at Ravelry really helps me keep my focus on projects planned for current Stash. :eyes:

I so need to knit from my stash this year exclusively Art Lady.
I am drowning in yarn here and I have to be honest. I have hundreds of skeins in every brand, style and weight that can be imagined. I could knit for the next 10 years and never run out, as slow as I knit. I just do not know how I will ever get it all posted on Ravery. I soooooo need this thread to keep me knitting and NOT buying yarn again this year. Ever since I bought my new reward yarn in December for 2007, I have the "Yarn Buying Desire Again"....... Heaven help my Addiction......:teehee: :roflhard:

Lady M
01-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Waiting is hard for me in everything so I think overall, patience is something I need to learn this year. YIKES!

I'm not good at waiting either, I just refused to buy yarn and would not even look at it last year. But I must confess that since I bought my reward yarn :heart: in December I am having a hard time not wanting to buy. You see when I let myself look..... I buy:wink: ..... How weak I seem to be, when it comes to yarn. :mrgreen: Hopefull we all can help each other here and not buy any new yarn in 2008 !!! :happydance:

Lady M
01-09-2008, 10:15 PM
Lady M! Way to go!
Thank you Veekcee. I really appreciate the vote of confidence , but if you read my other post, I am already having a hard time this year, since I have allowed myself to actually buy yarn. I think, in order for this to actually work for me again this year, I will have to go cold turkey, no yarn, just like I did last year. We will see if I can get control. :roflhard:

jeanius80
01-10-2008, 03:04 AM
i love your blog! i think i just read the whole thing lady m! i like that you knit that boucle even when you didn't want to ;) you should totaly share that adorable bootie pattern too (hint hint) :teehee:

msmelody
01-10-2008, 05:03 AM
I am on the stash train, but after starting on one of my children's blanket, now realize I will need 60 more balls of yarn to complete both. I know that I should have not have waited until they were in big beds to start their blankets, and did them when DD and DS where still babies. I am kicking myself now.

Any one want to sell me Bernat Softee Baby in Mint or Soft Lilac?

KnittingNat
01-10-2008, 06:11 AM
I actually cast off the pillow i'm making for my doggie! It took me a year to finish it. It's an oddball pillow, so it has many colours, vibrant and fresh. All that's left is to seam the sides and sew the zipper! Hope I'll be able to do that today and tomorrow and then i'll post some pics :thumbsup: It was a really nice stashbusting project, I've used many odds and ends from an acrylic stash my grandma gave me.

mom2hancj
01-10-2008, 03:38 PM
Everyone's projects sound great!!

I joined a square swap to use up more of my partial skiens and I am comtemplating making squares for me at the same time for an blankie. I am working on pants for my friends lo. I would also like to work on some coasters for both living spaces sometime t his week.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
01-10-2008, 04:16 PM
weasley sweater #1 is done and delivered.... now to just get the other things done and get my stash reduced. I'll have a BIG box of yarn (and needles!) by monday that my mom is sending up :)

ArtLady1981
01-10-2008, 06:47 PM
WOW! Everyone is doing so well! :cheering:

mom2hancj: That "squares swap" sound neato!

Lady M: You are in good company! I am a yarnoholic, too! I try NOT TO go into my LYS because "if I sees it...I buys it"!
Or, more aptly put: If I feels it, I buys it! Regardless, my Stash Yarn is incredibly ridiculous...and mucho money has been spent!

KnittingNat! Good for you!!!:cheering: Love to hear about casting off, or binding off, whatever it's called! WhoooHooo!

msmelody: EEEKS! Sixty more skeins! Even at $2 per...that's $120 minimum! Well, well worth the money spent for DD and DS!
Heirlooms in the makings! :happydance:

LilHuskiesFootBallMom! Good for you! Yeah!!! :cheering: I love gifted yarn and knitting stuff! Unfortunately for me...I am the lone ranger in my family! No knitters but me! :shrug:

I am knitting the collar on my 2nd sisters' sweaters. It is all seamed and blocked. Just finishing the collar and then on to the button bands. The hard part is done.

Sunny_Singer
01-10-2008, 07:26 PM
Unexpected way to use up stash...
I bought a couple colors of Red heart yarns to make finger puppets for my granddaughter for Christmas.

I completed 3. They were an instant hit.

However, now I feel like I am "in business" LOL.

One of my daughter's friends saw Josie's and asked me to make her daughter some.
One of my on line friends saw photos of them and asked me to make her daughter a couple.
One of my nieces saw pics and now she wants some.
A neighbor saw me knitting them and asked me to make a couple for her youngest.

LOL. I may be knitting finger puppets all of 2008 at this rate. They don't need a lot of yarn, take an average of 30 minutes per puppet to complete... and I am making what ever animal makes sense based on the colors I have at the moment, or the mood I am in.

Here is a pic of the 3 puppets I made Josie:
a cat, a dog and a pig.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/sunny_singer/xmas/Xmas%20NYE%202007%20New%20Years%20Day%202008/IMG002.jpg

ArtLady1981
01-10-2008, 08:39 PM
LOL! The fingerpuppet business is a great stash buster!

You are so way cool Sunny! :muah:

AngMac
01-11-2008, 12:08 AM
I am not off to a good start :(. I have bought way too much yarn lately. Ugh! I really need to start knitting some of this sock yarn I am stock piling. I printed out a ton of sock patterns that will hopefully inspire me.

I did start to organize my stash on Ravelry.

Anyone have any advice on how to get my projects in order and come up with a game plan on knitting my projects?

Dreaming Knitter
01-11-2008, 09:03 AM
Stash update:

1. I have organized most of My Notebook at Ravelry, and have also physically improved my Yarn Jail.

2. Most OTNs now are using up my stash: Light Purple Square, Wavy Organic Cotton Towel and PO River Scarf. Planning to do more Squares, and on knitting a shawl in tencel.

3. Focused project: more knitting hats in different colors for my 3 siblings in the US. My Bright Blue-Green Hat was a hit.

At the rate I'm going, I'll be able to treat myself to some reward yarn by next month...

But I'm strictly on a yarn diet until I finally knit up my tencel, which remain untouched...for me, the aim this year is to use my stash and not to add to it as much as possible.

Dreaming Knitter
01-11-2008, 09:08 AM
Anyone have any advice on how to get my projects in order and come up with a game plan on knitting my projects?

Hi AngMac, for me, I found it helpful to join Knit-alongs like Shandeh's "Many Squares" charity project. :knitting:

I also listed first the recipients of my knitting output, so I'd know what to make, when to make them and how to make them.

Hope that helps
:wink: