PDA

View Full Version : Do you tend to buy the same colors of yarn?

iwouldratherbeknitting
11-21-2007, 09:00 AM
I do.. I have to remind myself that I don't need any more blue or green yarn all the time. *it doesn't always work either. :rofl:

dip's mom
11-21-2007, 09:10 AM
I buy different colors. I find, though, the problem is that I love so many different colors as far as the skein goes but as far as knitting a wearable garmet the colors won't necessarily work. Bright purple colorways are gorgeous but not as a sweater. (at least not on me) I don't knit socks and perhaps that is one reason why so many do -- any beautiful colorway will work as a neat pair of socks.

Quiltlady
11-21-2007, 09:20 AM
I buy many different colors but I'm ALWAYS drawn to rose, pink or mauve colors first!! If I see a yarn that I want but have NO idea what I'll knit I usually get the rose colored one because I know that what ever I knit I'll love it.:muah:

knitncook
11-21-2007, 09:39 AM
Yes; I tend towards blues. And I noticed lately that most of the patterns that I "fawn" over tend to also be made with blue yarn. I've been trying hard to branch out into a different color of the spectrum, but I just love blues and you can mix and match them so much more easily than any other color.

dustinac
11-21-2007, 09:53 AM
I use to buy a lot of dark greens, blues, and reds...

but for awhile now I've been buying brighter or happier colors and I have no idea...I've even shocked my mom and hear you want that color??? not this dark dabby color? :teehee:

Quiara
11-21-2007, 10:43 AM
Normally, I'd say I drift toward fall colors. But then, looking at my stash, that's not true. It *feels* true, but it's not. I have pinks, greens, blues, browns, yellows, oranges, purples... some of everything, really. In my personal wardrobe, I tend toward blues and greens and browns, but for some reason, socks and hats break all the rules. I'll wear crazy colored hats and wild socks. ^_^

GiddyKnitter
11-21-2007, 10:51 AM
Mauve and plum are my favorite colors I am always drawn to them when choosing my yarn.

ChristyH
11-21-2007, 10:57 AM
Most of stash is autumn colors with oranges, browns, dark greens, although any green is good for me, and dark purples.

Earth tones are my favorites. It is hard for me to branch out. No pinks, blues, blacks or whites. :wink:

kellyh57
11-21-2007, 11:19 AM
My favorites are blue and purple. I did see a red that jumped out at me yesterday, but I just couldn't do it. I was shocked that I actually fell for another color! I have too much on my plate now and I at least want to finish one project before I buy more!

Kelly

Eccie
11-21-2007, 12:17 PM
Most of my stash is in the blue family although there are some fall colors in there too.

Abbily
11-21-2007, 12:21 PM
Yup, most of my stash is in the mauve/purple/blue family. Although I just splurged on some lovely silk yarn (https://www.discontinuedbrandnameyarn.com/pages/3228/SALE!!_Amerah%3Cbr_/%3EBuy_The_Bag_or_By_The_Ball.htm) that's on sale that has green and cream mixed in with the purple. :)

alleusion
11-21-2007, 01:54 PM
Yup, most of my stash is in the mauve/purple/blue family. Although I just splurged on some lovely silk yarn (https://www.discontinuedbrandnameyarn.com/pages/3228/SALE!!_Amerah%3Cbr_/%3EBuy_The_Bag_or_By_The_Ball.htm) that's on sale that has green and cream mixed in with the purple. :)

Abbily, I think you made my heart do funny things inside my chest with that link. I am so in trouble now.

I find I buy my stash based on what I want to make. I generally don't go into a yarn or craft store without an idea of a projectin mind. Finances don't allow for willy-nilly yarn shopping. Although there was this one time.....I couldn't help myself. Now I have 4 hanks of a cappuchino colored stuff that I don't know what to do with.

lelvsdgs
11-21-2007, 01:59 PM
It depends on if I am knitting for myself or someone else. For me it's brights, blues, purples any jewell tones. For DD it's greens, for DSO it's neutrals...(for now, I have to convert him:) )

iwouldratherbeknitting
11-21-2007, 08:28 PM
Another thing that I noticed.. I wear a lot of black -in the winter especially (people overseas tend to wear a LOT OF BLACK and you end up doing so also.. to blend in.. and because there aren't a lot of choices either).. but, do I have one hank, skein, or strand of black yarn?

NOOOoooo...

iwouldratherbeknitting
11-21-2007, 08:30 PM
OOH, and I'm off to buy some YARN.. right now.. to the huge, enormous, fantastic yarn market.. so, I'll post some photos later to see which colors I end up buying.. ok, get your pencil and paper out and write down your guesses.. and let's see how guesses what I end up getting lured in by.. which yarns speak to me?? I should be back in about 2- 3 hours.

wednesday
11-21-2007, 09:14 PM
Greens , blues & turquoise with a small stash variety yarn in cream & off white for a particular project. A couple of hanks of vivid pink red bronze hand dyed and black. I am trying to broaden my color horizons, LOL

I need to buy some cheerful stuff for a BSJ, it's supposed to be for a little girl ( not born yet ) but I want nice rich cheerful colors nothing too pink or too pale. i thought of buying some variegated or self stiping Sock yarn and then adding stripes in solid from that palette, any thoughts ?

aineepooh1
11-21-2007, 09:38 PM
Ive noticed I DO tend to buy a certain color range of yarns.. it doesnt' matter what the fiber is... I have noticed the same thing with my clothing... I guess I am just attracted to certain colors... AND JUST CAN'T HAVE ENOUGH~!!:inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

jeanius80
11-21-2007, 10:56 PM
hmmm.. i like all colors, but cooler tones tend to dominates :
blues/greens/purples and cool pinks/yellows and nuetrals. (i actually had to check my ravelry stash page cause i couldn't say for sure) I also love rich colors like ruby reds and purples ....

starburst
11-21-2007, 11:11 PM
I love teal, turquoise, burgandy and maroon, so I do tend to buy a lot of it, but I also get pinks, creams, purples, blues, and greens. I like to stay away from yellow and orange though

iwouldratherbeknitting
11-21-2007, 11:42 PM
Ok, I am back. I bought some:

White fuzzy for a baby gift project.. (not fun fur.. it looks like sheep sherling)
some: blue tones camel hair/merino wool
Mohair/wool blends in these colors: green w/ blue undertones, purple w/ red undertones, green w/purple undertones, red
and.. some black cashmere/merino wool blends..

SEE.. I tried, tried to step out of my: blue, green, purple box!
My camera is being funky and I can't download images right now.

gatorjade
11-22-2007, 01:19 AM
Yes! My stash has yarn in just about every possible shade of green. But then again, I never feel that I could wear too much green, so I suppose my color bias can be justified. :aww:

DQ
11-22-2007, 05:56 AM
As I buy most of my yarn second hand or very cheap I've ended up with a reasonable spread of colours. I do love pinks and oranges though :heart: