PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a cable needle?

3kids1036
11-21-2007, 10:03 AM
I am about to try cables for the first time. I do NOT have any cable needles, I THOUGHT I did, but I guess I was wrong. I do NOT have time to go and purchase any. Will this hinder me from learning how to do cables properly???

Thanks for ANY advice. OH, and my first cable project will be fetching!!! LOL

dustinac
11-21-2007, 10:09 AM
You don't have to have one...you can use a pencil or an extra dpn as the cable needle... Amy also has a video (http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techniques)how to cross cables with no cable needle :happydance:

3kids1036
11-21-2007, 10:11 AM
Thank you SO much!!!! I will check out the video!!!!!!

Newbie2Knitting
11-21-2007, 10:43 AM
I don't have a cable needle either. I've been cheating using a small circular needle. It's been working so far... (I tried doing it w/o any needle at all but my stitches still tend to get twisted - I'm not too good at it just yet)

Ingrid
11-21-2007, 10:45 AM
I always use a dpn.

knitncook
11-21-2007, 10:51 AM
I've used a toothpick in emergencies. Not the best solution, but it worked. Try to find one that isn't too rough. BTW, when I'm doing cables, I tend to tuck my cable needle (the straight kind) behind my eyeglass bow for "safe keeping" I forget it is there sometimes and walk around town with this weird fat toothpick next to my face.

Ingrid
11-21-2007, 10:58 AM
:teehee: If I'm wearing a sweater I'll stitch it through the stitches at my shoulder, where you'd wear a corsage. I've forgotten, too. Strange brooch!

psammeadred
11-21-2007, 07:10 PM
Ditto on the DPNs. They're so much easier to handle than "official" cable needles.

swamp_deb
11-21-2007, 07:46 PM
For my first cables I used a dpn, then I used a 16" circ needle and loved it, so that's my new cable needle. :thumbsup:

Lady Violet
11-21-2007, 09:28 PM
if you want something that's not that long, i would highly recommend KP's harmony cable needles (http://knitpicks.com/+Harmony+Wooden+Cable+Needles_ND90347.html). i just got them in the mail the other day and i absolutely love them. the longest is 4", so they're not so long that they get in the way. plus, the stitches won't slide off like they could with a regular cheap cable needle or another metal needle. the grooves really hold on to the stitches. i would say it's a well spent $5, if you want an actual cable needle. :thumbsup:

CountryKitty
11-22-2007, 08:50 AM
A crochet hook or a chop stick works as well in a pinch. It all kinda depends on what you have at hand.

DorothyDot
11-23-2007, 02:13 PM
Bobby pin works perfectly for me. Cheap, always there, easily-replaced if lost.

Dot

Kime
11-23-2007, 02:24 PM
I use a crochet hook, I slide the stitches onto it and then let it hang hooked on the last stitch. That way it is out of the way. Then I slide the stitches back onto the left hand needle to work them. I also slide it over my ear when I am not using it.