PDA

View Full Version : Your "Essentials"

Matdredalia
11-21-2007, 03:04 PM
So, everyone has their little knitting essentials that they can't live without. For some it's a certain set of needles, for others it's their stitch markers.

What I want to know is what are the 1-3 (or more!) things you can't live without when knitting (aside from needles and yarn :-P)? (It can be a certain bag, book, tool, whatever!)

I'm making my "Christmas list" and I need some good ideas for things that will make my knitting easier and help me learn more.

My Mother-In-Law is insisting on spending an obscene amount of money on me for Christmas (sigh), and it's either tell her what I want, or let my husband do it, and well.....I'm not really inclined to go with his ideas, lol. I'd much rather have her buy me tools that I can use to create beautiful things for my family with for years to come.

So, list list list!

Jan in CA
11-21-2007, 03:09 PM
Aside from my needles and yarn....

blunt tip scissors
stitch markers
coiless safety pins
needle gauge
tape measure
pen/pencil (ror keeping track of rows)
paper
crochet hook (for picking up dropped stitches)
dental floss
yarn needle

knitncook
11-21-2007, 03:13 PM
Stitch markers
Guage measuring tool (I love the Opitons one)
Small scissors
Row counter
A dpn for picking up dropped stitches
Tea

Matdredalia
11-21-2007, 03:23 PM
Tea

Buahaha, that's awesome. (^-^) That reminds me, I need to pick up some more Chamomile.

willi.t
11-21-2007, 03:24 PM
Dental tool (from Patternworks)
Blunt needle
Tiny Scissors
Stitch Markers
Coilless safety pins
Tape Measure
Needle gage
Dental Floss
And then you just keep adding and adding until you can't find anything in that little bag, so you start another.:roflhard:

GiddyKnitter
11-21-2007, 03:31 PM
Scissors
Tape measure
Pins
Needle protectors (sheep)
Stitch markers
Plastic wallets (to keep my patterns crease free)!!

Jints
11-21-2007, 03:34 PM
blunt sewing needle
tape measure,
needle gauge
pen/paper/calculator
scissors.
safety pins

Eccie
11-21-2007, 03:35 PM
Point Protectors (which are known as the little things that keep momma's knitting from falling off the needles when we decide we absolutely have to move it for some reason while mom's in the bathroom.):teehee:
and A row counter

And I thought I was the only one who using dental floss in knitting :P

Matdredalia
11-21-2007, 03:44 PM
Wow. Tons of suggestions, woohoo!

I'm curious though....what's the dental floss for? O_O

bip
11-21-2007, 03:48 PM
You can never have too many:

-Gauge checker tools
-Stitch markers
-Row counters

And you can never have too much Malabrigo! :yay:

Sunny_Singer
11-21-2007, 04:10 PM
I knitted my self a little ditty bag for my knitting supplies while traveling etc, in it I keep:

small plastic 6 in ruler
measuring tape
needle protectors
crochet hook *for helping to catch lost stitches*
stitch markers
plastic type sewing needles for yarn *for weaving in ends as I go*
scissors
row counter or paper and pencil

fibrenut
11-21-2007, 04:20 PM
My computer!!!!

Quiara
11-21-2007, 04:26 PM
Measuring tape
crochet hooks (several - for edging, picking up dropped stitches, flinging at the wall...)
A small notebook with pen
My PDA
My iPod (with patterns on it and audiobooks to listen to while I knit)

Abbily
11-21-2007, 04:54 PM
crochet hooks (several - for edging, picking up dropped stitches, flinging at the wall...)

LOL! :)

As for essentials: I have this row counter (http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction.php?transaction_id=6418813), and it is the most wonderful thing I have ever had. It's absolutely beautiful, and so functional, it's awesome! I also have matching stitch markers, which hang on the bracelet.

Eccie
11-21-2007, 05:07 PM
I use the floss to help put beads on stitches, instead of using a tiny crochet hook

wednesday
11-21-2007, 05:23 PM
Needle sizer stitch Gauge ( still have my same Aluminum one from 20 years ago )
Pretty Stitch markers ( made my own set of 10 for $3.00)
Lot's of round Aluminum Needles ( can't have too many, the Knitpicks options are on my wishlist )
Clickable row counter ( so much easier to use )
Reference book with lot's of basic stitches and techniques ( anybody have any suggestions ? I need one too)
Binder with clear plastic sheet protectors for patterns and clear zip pockets ( the type kids use in school ) for needles and stuff
small paper pad and pen for notes & calculations
Blunt tip large eye needles
A few crochet hook ( pick up stitches & work in loose ends on really bulky yarn )
blunt tip scissors

Cougar1
11-21-2007, 05:28 PM
After not having one for so many years and not knowing what I was missing, I cannot do without my yarn ball winder. All those other things people listed would have to come afterwards. Absolutely the second best thing I've ever gotten for me (first thing is my motorcycle LOL)

willi.t
11-21-2007, 05:51 PM
Wow. Tons of suggestions, woohoo!

I'm curious though....what's the dental floss for? O_O
Dental is for lifelines when knitting, to hold pieces when I'm sure a stitch holder would work but why have that bulking thing hanging around when I can put dental floss in, tie it securely and my stitches are there until I want to work them. It makes things nice in UFO's too.

Jints
11-21-2007, 06:01 PM
More substantial items I use constantly,
as Wednesday mentioned, A good stitch dictionary, and a 'How To' reference book. Can't mention names as I'm not familiar with Titles there, but Barbara Walker Treasury books are talked about a lot.
& Lots of reference books and Knitting Encyclopedia about.
another item used a lot is a knitting bag of some sort. Large enough to hold all the 'stuff' involved in your current project & needles, with pockets and preferably portable.

The.Knitter
11-21-2007, 06:09 PM
My suggestion to you is this... Mary Maxim has an accessories kit for knitters costing $10.99. I will include a picture so you can see what it has in it. I would not be without mine.

Also Mary Maxim carries a product called an electronic stitch counter. It is very small, hangs around your neck on a lanyard and is light weight. When knitting, all you have to do it touch the button when you finished a row and go on with your knitting. I would LOVE to get one of these, but they are $34.99 and too rich for my budget right now. This item runs on a watch battery, and one comes included.

Mary Maxim also has a knitting tote bag called Red Hat Tote (black background, red hats). It is $9.99 and is fabulous. It has large pockets front (zippered) and back (velcro closure) to hold your needles, pattern, etc, plus a small zippered compartment on the inside. It comes with a change purse. The handles are long enough to be used as an over the shoulder bag. I love mine!

www.marymaxim.com

Well, here's my three. Other than my Denise Interchangables, these are the three things I could not do without when knitting.

Best of luck to you. It's great that your MIL wants to do this for you. LET HER! If she has the money and can afford to, great!

:woot:

wednesday
11-21-2007, 07:02 PM
Oh I could add a bunch of stuff but i just realized I love my U-shaped cable stitch holder. Once i figured out how to use it correctly it's great for when you have more stitches because you can actually drop it in front or back and the stitches stay put O yea mine is Aluminum don't know the brand it's older ( not as old as I am but in it's 20's anyway )

KatieBeee
11-21-2007, 07:21 PM
HMMM....
I must have when knitting:
scissors (a tiny pair of ginghers that have flowers on the handle)
cable needles
crochet hook
plastic yarn needle
ruler
Sweet Life Bag from Amy Butler (don't have this one yet and this would be an awesome gift to ask for)
stitch holder
pencil
a cat nearby
good movie in the dvd player
That's about it....wait....I'm sure there are more....

starburst
11-21-2007, 10:09 PM
lets see..
a totebag
small plastic container (4"x4" ish)
stitch markers on a notecard ring
tiny pastel bulldog clips
extra buttons
tape measurer
a couple paperclips (for inserting interchangeable needles onto cables)
gauge checker
clover yarn cutter
a chibi tube filled with different sized needles
my row counter should be arriving soon (yay!)
an old hair curler pin (pssh! who wants to buy a cable needle!)
1 mini pentel RSVP pen on a key ring

Most of the little things like the clover cutter, the tape measurer, stitch markerts, paperclips, tapestry needles and bulldog clips are all hooked onto a key ring so I can keep them all together. I have a bad habbit of losing things, so keeping them attached to each other is handy

simplethings
11-21-2007, 10:20 PM
A tape measure is definitely on the top of my list. I prefer the retractable variety. Tape measures that look like sheep are double the fun.
Second, for me, would be gorgeous stitch markers. They are completely unnecessary in terms of being a good knitter... and in an emergency a loop of scrap yarn works equally well, but... to me they make the knitting experience 100 times better.
Sometimes I'll even slip them on when I don't need them. That's how cool they are. =)
I like to knit in front of my computer to movies and shows so my third essential would be a good movie or tv episode.

A blunt tapestry needle would be a good thing to have... but, I hate weaving in ends so it's not on my "must" list. ;)

dustinac
11-21-2007, 10:36 PM
Lots of Binders with plastic sheets with the little tab spacer things :teehee: ...One binder might have mittens, hats, scarves patterns...I have one binder for just socks...one for lace...and one for finished objects with my notes and a photo of the item...

Tape Measure~ I always have one of these handy

Paper and Pen~ I have to write my notes down (can't write on the pattern :oo: )

On all of my totes I have a sturdy chain that holds mini highlighter, Chibi Tapestry Needle set, and yarn cutter...(inside all my tote bags you will also find a tape measure and pencil)

Altoid tins or anything shaped like this... I love them to hold stitchmarkers and safety pin (which you will also find in all my totes)

I also have a tin of these (http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=31153)in my sock tote bag...they are dpn holders and she will size them the length you need...they work really great...

Lots of totes that are ready to go so you just grab one and it's all set up for you :happydance:

Matdredalia
11-21-2007, 10:43 PM
Starburst -- I've been an RSVP fan since I was about 12 years old, and I actually have a collection of the mini-keychain RSVP's. I hadn't thought about using them for my knitting bag, but now that I think of it, they're perfect, thanks!

Dustinac -- I actually am using several Altoids-ish containers for holding my miscellanious tiny knitting stuff! Great minds think alike! (But then again, I swear by Altoids tins for EVERYTHING!)

Thanks for the great suggestions and ideas all, keep them coming! (^-^)

starburst
11-21-2007, 11:00 PM
Starburst -- I've been an RSVP fan since I was about 12 years old, and I actually have a collection of the mini-keychain RSVP's. I hadn't thought about using them for my knitting bag, but now that I think of it, they're perfect, thanks!

Dustinac -- I actually am using several Altoids-ish containers for holding my miscellanious tiny knitting stuff! Great minds think alike! (But then again, I swear by Altoids tins for EVERYTHING!)

Thanks for the great suggestions and ideas all, keep them coming! (^-^)

I'm glad I'm not the only one :) My friend gave me four as a secret surprise gift this summer and Immediate clipped on onto my camp staff tie so that I would always have something to write with on me.

I also have a little mini flip notepad that I keep in my bag

Matdredalia
11-21-2007, 11:23 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one :) My friend gave me four as a secret surprise gift this summer and Immediate clipped on onto my camp staff tie so that I would always have something to write with on me.

I also have a little mini flip notepad that I keep in my bag

Well, I'm a writer, so a pen of some sort and something to write on is basically essential to me, and I've been playing with ways to cut down on bulk and still keep things handy. I think I'm going to get a mindology notebook to carry around with me that has notes on patterns, needle sizes, etc. so that when I go shopping for patterns and yarn, I have everything I need to know handy.

starburst
11-21-2007, 11:33 PM
I've never heard of mindology, but it sounds interesting

what kind of writing do you do? I'm a creative writing major, which is another reason I always have writing materials in my bags

Liliyarn
11-22-2007, 12:41 AM
My must haves:
Multiple pairs of scissors (i always lose them)
Multiple small tape measures (i tend to lose those too)
Lots of crochet hooks for picking up stitches (the couch gets those)
Several row counters (for multiple projects)
Lots of tapestry needles (i think the cat eats them)...(j/k)
Packs and packs of stitch markers (those go flying off my needles when i knit honest)
I'm not sure about anyone else, but I use dental floss as provisional cast on thread, lifeline, and it helps thread the tapestry needles.
My small notebook with sheep motif w/ a pen slot for quick notes.
And may I suggest requesting a yarn shop gift card? Or suggest a *really* nice skein of cashmere ....
My mom usually gets me a gift card to my LYS.

Quiara
11-22-2007, 03:06 AM
Everybody keeps talking about patterns as though they come on paper or something.... ^_~

Seriously - am I the only person who primarily knits from patterns on her laptop, handheld or iPod? What is this "paper" you speak of?

I hardly ever print anything out. I only print it out if, for some weird reason, having a sheet of paper would be more convenient than having my handheld, iPod and/or laptop...

starburst
11-22-2007, 06:16 AM
When I'm travelling on buses or on a plane, I really don't want to have to fish out my laptop for patterns. I'd rather stuff a printout in my bag and go

The.Knitter
11-22-2007, 06:20 AM
If my pattern comes from a book and I know I am going to make this pattern more than once, I make a photocopy of it and laminate it. This way it does not get all ratty. If I am only doing the pattern once, I make a photocopy of it and put it into a plastic sleeve. Having said that, I do have a lot of patterns stored on my laptop. However, when I chose to knit one, I make a printout of it and either laminate it or put it into a plastic sleeve.

starburst
11-22-2007, 06:24 AM
I keep meaning to go through my copy of 99 stitches and laminate all of the stitches onto cards because they're getting a bit beaten up

The.Knitter
11-22-2007, 06:28 AM
That's a good idea as well. I've never seen that book before. Where did you get it? I'm still hoping for a book called Knitting on the Edge. I DID put the bug in Santa's ear, but we will see if I get a lump of coal or a treat!

starburst
11-22-2007, 06:37 AM
http://www.springbeautyfarm.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/99knitstitches.jpg

I bought it at Joann's with one of their coupons and while it isn't fun and bright like some of the newer stitch books (the copy I have is copyright 1997), it has a lot of things that I was able to practice with when I was first starting out and it's great for when I inevitably forget the difference between the moss and seed stitch

The.Knitter
11-22-2007, 06:41 AM
OK thanks, I don't have a Joann's here in Canada. I do, however, have a Stitch Bible which has a lot more than 99 stitches in it (I think there are 300 or 400 stitches listed in this book), so I'm set!

starburst
11-22-2007, 06:45 AM
Haha, I'm jealous :) I am ever so slowly collecting knitting books when they're on sale. thus far I have...5? I think it's time that I start dropping hints with my sister

The.Knitter
11-22-2007, 06:55 AM
This book is called "The Knitting Stitch Bible" by Maria Parry-Jones. It is great. It came to me with a Knitting Journal for writing down your favourite patterns and charts. I am not sure where my sister got these books from, and it was many years ago so she probably won't remember, but you could probably Google it! Good luck!!!

starburst
11-22-2007, 06:58 AM
I found it on Amazon marketplace. I'll wait until my next paycheck and then I'll look into it again. Thanks!

mommydearest
11-22-2007, 10:06 AM
Happy Thanksgiving fellow knitters...

I borrowed the The Knitting Stitch Bible from the library and want it very badly. It has great pictures to go along with the charts. I haven't tried knitting from a chart yet but I intend to do it soon. Knitting Stiches by Mary Webb is very similar but not spiral bound like the Stitch Bible. I'm going to check ebay for the above books and see what I find.

Multiple row counters (I started using a pitch counter for baseball scorekeeping to help me out)

I haven't tried dental floss but it sounds like a good idea - I will add it to my bag which I just reorganized this morning.

Matdredalia
11-22-2007, 11:59 AM
Haha, I had never thought of using my iPod for patterns (don't have a laptop), but that is going to help out immensely. I put everything from ebooks to RSS feeds on my iPod, and it is my constant companion when knitting since I listen to Podcasts as I knit, so this will be VERY helpful!!

And to reply to you StarBurst:

I've never heard of mindology, but it sounds interesting

what kind of writing do you do? I'm a creative writing major, which is another reason I always have writing materials in my bags

Pretty much everything. I like writing poetry, lyrics, novels, essays, articles. I'm not published, but I'd love to do Freelance writing & Noveling. I'm working on my own Per-Zine at the moment, and frantically attempting to write a novel (Yaye NaNoWriMo!) at the moment.

If you're interested in mindology, here's their site: http://myndology.com/.

While I haven't gotten one yet, I've used rip-off products that didn't have quite as much functionality, and loved them, so I know I'm going to go nuts over the Myndology ones. I always need pen & paper, and I usually keep little things I need clipped to my belt loop or purse, so they're perfect for moi. I'm probably going to go for the neon's that have 5 different colors in each pack, and use each section for something different. (Green - Knitting, Yellow - Writing, Pink - Random Notes....you get the idea!)

Quiara
11-22-2007, 04:24 PM
When I'm travelling on buses or on a plane, I really don't want to have to fish out my laptop for patterns.

I don't either. That's why I also have them on my iPod and my handheld. ^_~

starburst
11-22-2007, 11:52 PM
Happy Thanksgiving fellow knitters...

I borrowed the The Knitting Stitch Bible from the library and want it very badly. It has great pictures to go along with the charts. I haven't tried knitting from a chart yet but I intend to do it soon. Knitting Stiches by Mary Webb is very similar but not spiral bound like the Stitch Bible. I'm going to check ebay for the above books and see what I find.

Multiple row counters (I started using a pitch counter for baseball scorekeeping to help me out)

I haven't tried dental floss but it sounds like a good idea - I will add it to my bag which I just reorganized this morning.

I would look for the stitch bible on Amazon. I found a "like new" copy on there for $4.30 +s&h

mommydearest
11-23-2007, 08:46 AM
I bought the Stitch Bible on eba for $3.00 plus shipping. Can't wait to receive it. I really love the pictures and charts (kind of scarry looking at first glance - I'll have to go back and forth with the codes to remember them all)