PDA

View Full Version : Would you rather........

boo1
11-21-2007, 03:11 PM
put 200 st on a 10 inch straight or use a 14 inch and have a little breathing room?

Just watching Knitty Gritty and she started with 200 on 10 inch needles. I guess being a newbie, I worry too much about them sliding off.

knitncook
11-21-2007, 03:15 PM
I most always knit with circs or DPN's so I probably would just use a circ. Most needle ends will keep stitches from slipping off the end though.

boo1
11-21-2007, 03:16 PM
I most always knit with circs or DPN's so I probably would just use a circ.

That was not one of your options!!! :teehee:

fibrenut
11-21-2007, 03:17 PM
Aww heck, boo.
I don't even use straights anymore (cept to "pin" seams for sewing). I use circs. Easier on the hands for one and don't have to worry bout losing a needle n having to go buy a new set just for the one. Also another good thing is that when you lay your knitting down you don't have to worry bout it slipping off.
But if all you have are straights then by all means use the longer needles. :X: :thumbsup:

boo1
11-21-2007, 03:43 PM

But if all you have are straights then by all means use the longer needles. :X: :thumbsup:

Nope, got both, just taking an informal poll. :mrgreen:

Knitting_Guy
11-21-2007, 03:52 PM
They make straight knitting needles? :??

Sunny_Singer
11-21-2007, 03:59 PM
I have knit with 200+ sts on a 14 inch straight, but unless you have very thin yarn, I wouldn't try it on a 10 inch.

fibrenut
11-21-2007, 04:05 PM
Yeah KG, they are great for holding sides together or sleeves when you are tryin to seam em up!!!!. Or for scratchin yer back!! Another good use is to get the hairball our of the vacuum cleaner hose ROFL!!!!

The.Knitter
11-21-2007, 04:08 PM
Straights? What are those??? I only use circs now. I gave away all but the smallest of my straights. Also, I have these cute little point protectors that look like little red socks (Michael's 4 pack for $3.95) so my stitches don't fall off. They probably would not fall off anyways because I put the knitting on the cable part if I step away from the knitting (SAFTK) LOL.

Abbily
11-21-2007, 04:10 PM
hey probably would not fall off anyways because I put the knitting on the cable part if I step away from the knitting (SAFTK) LOL.

LOL my hubby uses 'AFK' for 'away from keyboard' when he's gaming... I use it for 'away from knitting'. :)

Abbily
11-21-2007, 04:11 PM
Oh, and although I would use a circ too, if I only had those 2 options I would definitely go with the longer needles. You can always knit it onto the shorter ones at some point if the longer ones annoy you.

Quiara
11-21-2007, 04:42 PM
If my only options involved using straights, I would eat my arm. ^_^

DQ
11-21-2007, 05:23 PM
Yeah KG, they are great for holding sides together or sleeves when you are tryin to seam em up!!!!. Or for scratchin yer back!! Another good use is to get the hairball our of the vacuum cleaner hose ROFL!!!!

Oooooooh yes, they are great for those hard to reach itches on your back! :mrgreen:

Jan in CA
11-21-2007, 06:03 PM
Uhhh...I only use circs, but if I only had straights I'd find another pattern. :shifty:

I guess if I was held at gunpoint and made to choose I'd go with the longer ones..maybe. :teehee:

suzeeq
11-21-2007, 08:06 PM
If I had to put that many on straight needles, I'd get circs too. I haven't used straight ones in so long. Actually, when I started up again, most of my needles were in another state so I bought a pair to do a project. Remembered why I hated them and got a circular.

dreamsherl
11-21-2007, 08:15 PM
Personally, I only use the 14 inch needles. They are good for small and large amounts of stitches. I'm also one of the rare knitters that still use wooden needles. ;)

alleusion
11-21-2007, 09:24 PM
Straights? What are those??? I only use circs now. I gave away all but the smallest of my straights.

Yep, I think I got the straights from her. I have one or two of every size straight in storage and some circs, but not too many. I'm not well versed in knitting on circs yet.

However, to answer the original question...I'd do it on a 14 inch. I had to CO 103 on shorter needles and it was a tight squeeze.

WandaT
11-23-2007, 10:00 AM
My vote would be for circs too ... If I had to choose between 10" or 14" straights, I'd have to go buy some circs. I think the 10" needles would be too short and I HATE having those long needles stick out and bump into everything.

mommydearest
11-23-2007, 10:14 AM
Even co 90 st on a short needle is tight so go for the 14". I would also agree though to go for the circs. Much easier to use and less chance of losing stitches. I still use both straight and circs depending on the project.

Mary

cftwo
11-23-2007, 11:07 AM
I'd probably use the 14" needles, too.

I LIKE my straights, since I tend to anchor one needle in my lap and just move the other when I knit. I don't know where I picked up that habit, but it works. It does make using dpns tricky, though, as you really can't anchor those since they're so short.

Doublereeder2
11-23-2007, 02:32 PM
I would certainly use the longer straights. But if circulars were an option, I would use 24" circs.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
11-23-2007, 08:05 PM
neither.... I'd have to go with the circs... basically anything more than 100 stitches i need to do on circs thanks to carpal tunnel.... and after i get going anything more than just a few stitches i end up transferring to a circ (even when i'm just knitting back and forth) because the weight of it kills my wrists.

Plantgoddess+
11-23-2007, 11:10 PM
I have mostly used straights until recently and I would go with the 14", I think my hands would cramp trying to push that many stitches onto a 10". I mainly use 14" for most projects and find them comfortable for larger projects like sweaters.