PDA

View Full Version : Can I flare the base of these sleeves?

Kamie
11-21-2007, 08:56 PM
http://magknits.com/Mar06/patterns/Eve.htm

I'm doing this in a solid dusty purple, but I'd like to know if there is a way to flare the base of the sleeves. How many extra sts.? Also, on the sleeves, I'm going to just do the pattern for about 4 inches and switch to st st.

Figured I'd ask if I could flare the sleeves, I think it would look better with this pattern and color. If not no biggy.

Thanks,

fibrenut
11-21-2007, 09:50 PM
Hiya Kamie,
Here's how I would do it... Let's say you want an extra stitch for every 2 stitches (big flare) or every 3 stitches (smaller flare)for arguments sake lets say we are doing the one that takes 40 sts originally for it's caston so for the large flare you would cast on 60 sts and for the smaller flare cast on 54 (if 40 was the original number called for) to get the proper number for whatever you are doing take the number n divide it by 3 for the small and 2 for the large and take your answer and add it to the original number so 3/40 = 13.5 so round that up to 14 and 2/40 = 20 so add 20 or 14 for 54 or 60 total to cast on for the flare part (and they said we wouldn't use algebra after highschool sheesh) so the formula would be
a/st = inc + st = co (a) will be the frequency of your increases. (I hope I put that right) ok where were we, Ok using the number you came up with (let's keep using 40 here as the original number called for in the actual pattern) you would take 40 + the 20 for the number to cast on for the large flare, Now work rows 1-4 of the pattern, next row (row 1 of 2nd pattern repeat) decrease 10 sts evenly across. finish the pattern rows 2-4. Next, (row 1 of third pattern repeat) decrease 10 more sts evenly across (should now have 40 original sts) complete the rows 2-4. Now complete the rest of the pattern as written (starting at 4th repeat of rows 1-4 then working from row 17 on should be the same as the rest of the sleeve pattern. Do the same thing for the other side.
I hope this helps ya.
Happy knitting.:guyknitting:

Kamie
11-21-2007, 10:24 PM
Believe it or not, after I read this 5 more times (as with most patterns) I think I'll totally understand!:roflhard:

Seriously, thanks I do believe this is what I was looking for. Big help!:muah:

Hiya Kamie,
Here's how I would do it... Let's say you want an extra stitch for every 2 stitches (big flare) or every 3 stitches (smaller flare)for arguments sake lets say we are doing the one that takes 40 sts originally for it's caston so for the large flare you would cast on 60 sts and for the smaller flare cast on 54 (if 40 was the original number called for) to get the proper number for whatever you are doing take the number n divide it by 3 for the small and 2 for the large and take your answer and add it to the original number so 3/40 = 13.5 so round that up to 14 and 2/40 = 20 so add 20 or 14 for 54 or 60 total to cast on for the flare part (and they said we wouldn't use algebra after highschool sheesh) so the formula would be
a/st = inc + st = co (a) will be the frequency of your increases. (I hope I put that right) ok where were we, Ok using the number you came up with (let's keep using 40 here as the original number called for in the actual pattern) you would take 40 + the 20 for the number to cast on for the large flare, Now work rows 1-4 of the pattern, next row (row 1 of 2nd pattern repeat) decrease 10 sts evenly across. finish the pattern rows 2-4. Next, (row 1 of third pattern repeat) decrease 10 more sts evenly across (should now have 40 original sts) complete the rows 2-4. Now complete the rest of the pattern as written (starting at 4th repeat of rows 1-4 then working from row 17 on should be the same as the rest of the sleeve pattern. Do the same thing for the other side.
I hope this helps ya.
Happy knitting.:guyknitting:

fibrenut
11-21-2007, 10:26 PM
:aww: Sorry I got so "wordy" but wanted to make sure I explained what I was thinkin. LOL!!:X: