PDA

View Full Version : Shawls

Jens
11-21-2007, 11:03 PM
do you wear them?? They look great on people i can't seem to stop looking at them and wanting to make them BUT it's something that I wouldn't tend to wear. I made one I really like a while back and so far it just lays around the house. I've never worn it out. Now I'm using Malabrago lace to make another. It's retangle so I might use it...just wondering if anyone else has this problem. Maybe I should stick with socks...

starburst
11-22-2007, 06:27 AM
I guess it depends on the person. I don't really wear them that much, but considering my collegiate wardobe consists mostly of sweatshirts, it's not that surprising.

dustinac
11-22-2007, 09:39 AM
I love to knit shawls they are so pretty...but as of right now I don't have any to my name...I keep giving them away except my moon dance and mom requested it for a shadow box...I'm not really a person who would wear shawls but you can also wear them as a scarf and I would do that...I'd prolly find a way to wear it as a wrap as well...maybe my next one I'll keep :teehee:

mommydearest
11-22-2007, 11:25 AM
I will be knitting myself a shawl early 2008 (I hope). I have two I purchased in Mexico a few years ago and I wear them in the winter (SW Fla). I usually keep them in the car though so I have something to cover me up during and after my kids swim practice. I tend to wear capris and polo shirts to practice and once the sun sets it gets chilly enough to cover up. I love them and can't wait to make my own. I don't think it matters what you wear them with, ie jeans, shorts, sweats, etc as long as you are comfortable.

I will say they are not easy to wear while knitting...

Mary

suzeeq
11-22-2007, 11:57 AM
I've made a few and wear them around the house, may take one to work for when it gets chilly.

Becky Morgan
11-22-2007, 12:27 PM
I love shawls and wear them all the time, and have since I was in college (okay, from 1975 to 1979 :D) None of mine are fancy lace. They're just right to throw over a sweatshirt during our usual winter "it's almost cold enough for a jacket but it'll be too hot in the store" weather. Most of them are triangles that can be rolled up and used as a regular scarf or thrown over my head in our rare bouts of *really* cold weather. Two skeins of Homespun, some #10 or 11s and/or a K or L hook, and a day or so will do nicely.

By the way, the world's simplest shawl pattern if you've got pretty shiny yarn like that...make the first half of a dishcloth! The yarn overs on the edges make a nice place to hook on the fringe.

DorothyDot
11-23-2007, 02:11 PM
I also love shawls and those short little capelet-thingys. They're very feminine and flattering.

And for those of us menopausal, this is the Only way to go to cope with those pesky hot flashes! It's sooooo easy to toss off a shawl, then pull it on again once that fire-within goes off.

Dot

Howdovely
11-23-2007, 03:17 PM
By the way, the world's simplest shawl pattern if you've got pretty shiny yarn like that...make the first half of a dishcloth! The yarn overs on the edges make a nice place to hook on the fringe.
What's a nice yarn to make one 'shiny'? I made one out of Woolspun and I love it, but it can be too bulky at times. It's REAL warm, but making one on a smaller, thinner scale sounds nice. Anybody have a favorite yarn to make one out of?

suzeeq
11-23-2007, 03:27 PM
Caron Simply soft has a nice sheen to it; it's a thinner worsted, but you can go up to size 10-10.5 with it for a nice airy, lacey shawl.

Howdovely
11-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Caron Simply soft has a nice sheen to it; it's a thinner worsted, but you can go up to size 10-10.5 with it for a nice airy, lacey shawl.
Do you know roughly how many skeins it would take with Caron Simply Soft? It takes roughly 3 skeins of Woolspun, but I"m not sure if it would be the same?

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
11-23-2007, 07:52 PM
i just finished one that i'll only be wearing for the gatherings for my Tribe...

It matches my gown that i wear perfectly (the gown is a purple velvety material with gold and green trim... the yarn i used was Lion Brand Homespun in Baroque...

I have a couple others in mind, but i'm concerned the ones theyre intended for won't wear them.

suzeeq
11-24-2007, 12:01 AM
How many yards in the woolspun? SS regular has over 300 yd per skein, the SS Tweed and Shadows only have 150 yds.

Howdovely
11-24-2007, 12:05 AM
How many yards in the woolspun? SS regular has over 300 yd per skein, the SS Tweed and Shadows only have 150 yds.
I have a Lion Brand Woolspun label here and it says 100 yards.

suzeeq
11-24-2007, 12:28 AM
Oh, that woolspun! I picked up a skein, or most of one at the thrift store last month, am thinking of doing an Urchin hat with it. That's a pretty bulky yarn, so it would depend on the pattern. If you're going to go for a simple triangle shawl, I think probably 300 - 500 yds would work. I've made wrap size Clapotis with one skein of the regular, 2 of the Shadows. They came out about 15-18" wide. With the regular the length was about 70", the shadows one was more like 58-60".

Pat in Ca
11-24-2007, 06:10 PM
maybe someone here can help me.. I have 2 balls of Malabrigo (purple mystery that's 430 yards.. I want to make a rectangular shawl of clapotis with it..will I have enough yarn? thanks for any advice

suzeeq
11-24-2007, 10:07 PM
You can make one though it may not be quite as large as the original. If it's a worsted weight yarn, use size 9 or 10 needles instead of 8s, don't do quite as many increase repeats. You can get an idea how wide it will be - after you've done say 5 of the increase repeats, measure along the right edge (RS facing you) from the CO to your needles, add about 3 inches and that will give you an approximate measurement of the width. If you want it wider, do another repeat.

Jens
11-24-2007, 11:10 PM
I am using Malabrigo for the shawl I'm making now. It feels so wonderful even the laceweight. I also have 2 skeins I'm just doing a feather and fan pattern and going to stop when I'm good and ready. This is my first lace project I wanted something easy.
Jen

maybe someone here can help me.. I have 2 balls of Malabrigo (purple mystery that's 430 yards.. I want to make a rectangular shawl of clapotis with it..will I have enough yarn? thanks for any advice

Shandeh
11-25-2007, 12:36 AM
I love to wear a wrap or shawl. I always get compliments when I wear them.

Braden
11-25-2007, 01:54 AM
I knit them for relatives, but there is absolutely no way I would wear one myself. :teehee:

Matdredalia
11-25-2007, 07:59 AM
I've worn them in weddings & on Halloween, but never in day to day life. I just don't dress that nicely, so nothing I won would really match.

However, after I'm done with my Christmas Knitting, I'm going to make a simple little shawl to keep me warm while I knit.

boo1
11-25-2007, 09:50 AM
However, after I'm done with my Christmas Knitting, I'm going to make a simple little shawl to keep me warm while I knit.

I think I'm going to have to. My husband and I always argue over the thermostat. Maybe a shawl (a very, very easy one) will help us out.

Matdredalia
11-25-2007, 10:03 AM
I think I'm going to have to. My husband and I always argue over the thermostat. Maybe a shawl (a very, very easy one) will help us out.

Haha, I've got one man from Colorado who loves his snow but hates the cold and likes the house piking hot and one from England who thinks that rain, sleet, ice, and snow are not seasonal conditions, but a requirement for every day life and believes that if I'm not shivering, he's doing me a disservice and needs to turn down the heater. Then you've got moi, who gets hot and cold flashes at the drop of a hat due to a wonderful thyroid disorder.

Needless to say, it makes for an adventure in communal living.

And yes, my shawl is going to be very....very easy lol.

Pat in Ca
11-25-2007, 01:34 PM
to suzeeq and jen... thanks..I have 2 skiens of the worsted malabrigo in "purple mystery".. such a beautiful color and I wanted something that could be worn as a scarf and when it got chilly, like in the movie theater, I could spread it out over my shoulders...I made one like that before just garter stitch edges with stockinette in middle, and I use it... the feather and fan I think would not "scrunch" up to a scarf when I needed it to... I was also considering the mistake rib, cause it draws together so well..but I have not tried the clapotis yet, want to, but I also have the problem that I need something that is mindless... that I can take in the car when I am waiting for my daughter at her "lessons".. I cant be "checking what row I am on... is the clapotis like that? thanks for all your imput.. I learn soooo much from this site!!

suzeeq
11-25-2007, 02:14 PM
If you knit the feather and fan in a large enough gauge, it would fold over to be a scarf. Use worsted and size 11s and it will be lacey as well. I've been knitting a lot of scarves lately extra wide so I can use them as shoulder wraps. 12-15" works out well. You can do Cozy, Convertible or Clapotis about that width.
Yes, Clapotis can be fairly mindless when you get to the straight part of it; you might need to check on the pattern in the beginning during the increase rows, but after that, it's primarily stockinette, decreasing on one edge while increasing on the other for several feet.

Pat in Ca
11-25-2007, 02:25 PM
thanks!! I am gonna check out cozy and convertible... I do love feather and fan, I may be forced to swatching a few of these ideas..I thank you for giving me the 12-15" idea, I have been trying to figure out the best width..