PDA

View Full Version : An insult to knitters. . .

gatorjade
11-22-2007, 01:10 AM
This afternoon I was flipping through the channels on TV, when I came across the home shopping network. They were selling nice, cabled cashmere sweaters. The owner of this cashmere line, dressed in a nice business suit with matching tie, declared that, "any knitter would recognize all the hard work that went into this sweater as well as the complexity of the cable stitching." One point for salesman. But soon after, when he was asked how long it would take someone to knit the sweater by hand, he responded with, "Oh, I'd say almost a whole day." :whoosh: I've never rewarded someone a point and then taken it back so quickly!

As I'm currently in the middle of knitting gifts for the holidays, I can't help but get an overwhelming fear that many people actually will not know how much work went into their presents. :zombie:

Oh well, onward and upward! I shall continue knitting gifts, and if I must, I will "brag" about how long it took me to make them for the special people in my life! :hug:

Knitting_Guy
11-22-2007, 01:29 AM
Obviously a suited moron.

fibrenut
11-22-2007, 01:34 AM
Sure, it would take only one day to knit... that is if you were in a dirty, smelly, hot, sweaty, dark, cramped, sweat shop in some foreign country working for enough to buy a hamburger off the dollar menu (maybe, if you saved all your money) once every six months. No breaks, old machines, despotic bosses, no sanitation breaks.... see where I'm going with this?:twisted:
Not only is this an afront to knitters, it's also an insult to the people who actually have to work in these conditions.

gatorjade
11-22-2007, 02:05 AM
You hit the nail on the head, there. An issue I completely overlooked when I was watching it. I'm completely swearing off that network.

cindycactus
11-22-2007, 10:40 AM
Sure, it would take only one day to knit... that is if you were in a dirty, smelly, hot, sweaty, dark, cramped, sweat shop in some foreign country working for enough to buy a hamburger off the dollar menu (maybe, if you saved all your money) once every six months. No breaks, old machines, despotic bosses, no sanitation breaks.... see where I'm going with this?:twisted:
Not only is this an afront to knitters, it's also an insult to the people who actually have to work in these conditions.
Amen to that!

psquidy
11-22-2007, 11:36 AM
i share your fear. I have often entertained the thought of attaching photos of the process and then writing a little time table to go along with it. That's a good idea don't you think?

Silver
11-22-2007, 05:10 PM
As an incurable optimist, I have to think that since these shows are broadcast live, perhaps he meant to say a whole month, instead of a day.

I just refuse to believe anyone is so ignorant to think you can knit a sweater in a day. WHO would think that? I can not even imagine that the most ignorant nonknitter would think that, and especially not someone who is selling sweaters. :shock:

I could be wrong. I just refuse to believe it. ;)

Lighting57
11-22-2007, 05:14 PM
As I'm currently in the middle of knitting gifts for the holidays, I can't help but get an overwhelming fear that many people actually will not know how much work went into their presents. :zombie:

This is just the reason why I am so careful about whom I gift with a present that I have spent multiple hours to make. Only those who knit or quilt or whatever themselves has any idea the time and effort involved in a handcrafted gift.
Sandra from SC

The.Knitter
11-22-2007, 05:28 PM

Suits, geez! Sometimes they can be such a**holes! I want to know who he knows that can handknit a cabled sweater in ONE DAY!!! Perhaps his Mommy was a really really good knitter. Fast too!

Fibernut, we too slave to make our gifts, the only difference being we have sanitation breaks, our work conditions are what we make them, we eat whatever we through together after a sanitation break before going back to knitting and our only bosses are our own consciences.

Imagine doing that for a living? Those poor unfortunate people....

snowbear
11-22-2007, 09:37 PM
When I made my daughter an afghan, a king size one, (yes, I was insane to make it.. but soo glad I did) she raved about how wonderful it was. Then, a friend, who has watched me knit the squares at work, and wherever I went wanted me to knit her one. I told her how long it would take.. and she thought I had been knitting 3 different afghans at Same time. She couldn't believe knitting was so time consuming. I showed her how to knit, and after awhile she realized the time, and love involved, she finally knit one for herself, and realized what knitting was all about.
Some will understand, but others will never get it.

Avinony
11-22-2007, 11:42 PM
Wow...that's like, super robot knitter. Oh wait, it probably was a robot.

Do they have knitting machines? I mean you'd think...

What an idiot though.

...His mom's a robot. (sorry I just had to do a "your mom" joke.) ^_^

knitncook
11-23-2007, 09:57 AM

THANK YOU!! Whenever I see mass commercialized "hand made" sweaters that is the image that comes to mind! They aren't knit by sweet old ladies in rocking chairs with afghans on their laps and cups of tea by their sides daintily knitting each little sweater with love over the course of a week. They are "hand made" (whatever that really means) by people in the above conditions. Do you know how many grannies it would take to knit that many sweaters for all the Old Navies around the world?

And obviously the person who said it would take a whole day has never knit!

DorothyDot
11-23-2007, 02:08 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. My mother-in-law thinks I should knit various items for sale, instead of teaching people how to make them. I tried to say, you never get the pay-per-hour you deserve to make it any kind of cost-effective to create such wonderful things.

Somehow she just sees the lovely results and thinks dollar signs. Why, she tells me, would I want to teach someone else to make them so they can be competing for the sale? Sheesh.

Dot

Aliann
11-23-2007, 06:24 PM
The only way that would happen is you would have to twitch your nose, or look like an octopus.

fibrenut
11-24-2007, 12:08 AM
o silver,
:noway: you ought to hear the stories about people who get all freaked out about how much it costs for a professional to make their cake. OMG, they sit there n say, sheesh, how hard could it be? So they spend gazillions on new pans n bags n spatulas n this that n the other thing only to make a huge big fat mess and come back a week later asking us to bail em out of their situation. (we do make their cakes for em but sheesh I do hate rush jobs and sometimes it's going to show) Same thing with the uneducated public when it comes to knitting or anything hand crafted for that matter. It takes time and skills.
Now don't get me wrong, anyone can learn (with enough patience)to knit, crochet, decorate cakes etc. but there are some people out there who haven't a clue.:out:

cristina61
11-24-2007, 08:54 PM
When he was asked how long it would take someone to knit the sweater by hand, he responded with, "Oh, I'd say almost a whole day."

I think that's a good example of what the Yarn Harlot calls C.H.O.K.E. -- Cultural Humiliation of Knitters Everywhere! :rofl:

Christine

Samsam
11-25-2007, 11:46 AM
I went to the mall the other day and was appalled to see a huge/cabled/turtle neck/gotta be made out of good wool/the whole shebang "hand knit" sweater for $88. I thought about this thread and had to leave the store. Gave me the creeps.

Lighting57
11-25-2007, 04:58 PM
I've been thinking. I might be possible to complete a cable sweater in a day IF it's a small sweater and knitted by someone that is using a knitting machine. Otherwise, I think it would not be possible.

myrnapap
11-25-2007, 07:10 PM
There's a saying: It's hard to walk in someone else's shoes. Well, if someone has never knitted anything or made anything by hand, they have no idea what it takes. That said, the guy on tv is clueless and should be taken as a 'grain of salt' since he's only worth that. I believe if you are laboring on a hand made item, it should be given to someone special and if you have that relationship they will know it was a labor of love!

ready2knit
11-25-2007, 10:35 PM
I'm hoping it was an honest mistake and that the knuklehead meant a month.
I'm fortunate to have a mother who knits a bit and everytime she sees my work she tells me I should open my own yarn store because I do such beautiful/complex work. ( I wish!) The point being that some people really do appreciate the work we knitters do.

I've always found Home Shopping Network to be sub-par to other similar channels.

Jana