PDA

View Full Version : it's 11:22pm on thanksgiving eve....what are you cooking?

itsjustmeghan
11-22-2007, 01:23 AM
so i'm sitting here waiting for my apple pie filling to finish cooking so i can go to bed, and i thought " i wonder what everybody else is cooking right now"

so, what are you cooking?

Sewing Angel
11-22-2007, 01:36 AM
Well, I'm finished with my cooking, but I had use the self clean function on the oven. Every time I make cherry pie it bubbles over, so I made it last. I did get the rest of my list done today, so I'm pretty happy with that. Hope you get to bed soon. Have a wonderful day tomorrow.
Angel

Itsabtme
11-22-2007, 02:34 AM
This year I was nominated to bring pies. I made Deep Dish Apple Pie, Caramel Apple Pie, Pumpkin Pie, and Chocolate Cream Pie. I also made Marinated Cheese. I made DH put that in the fridge out in the garage so that it wouldn't "garlic-ize" all of my pies. I just finished that so, I popped in here for a little while. I'm ready for bed now...:passedout:

Happy Thanksgiving;)

Jan in CA
11-22-2007, 02:51 AM
DH does most of the cooking and my stepmom is bringing the candied yams and pie so I got off easy. I made the black cherry jello with bananas. :teehee:

yarnrainbow
11-22-2007, 02:54 AM
Sometimes, don't ya wonder why we do it? Until, that is, they come running in the door going "Nona, we're having turkey and dressing and punkin pie and...":heart: :grphug: cloud9. Then it's easy to remember!!

I just finished cleaning up the kitchen and now I'm working "just a couple of more rows" to relax before I drag myself off to bed. ;)

nadja la claire
11-22-2007, 08:58 AM
I'm bringing pies to my DB's so I was up until 1AM baking my famous pecan pie, a pumpkin pie of course because you have to have a pumpnkin pie, an apple-cranberry pie/w spiced cornmeal strussel topping, a sour cherry pie (my favorite) and cranberry walnut corn bread. Man I'm tired.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!!!!!
:muah: :muah: :muah: :muah: :muah: :muah: :muah: :muah: :muah: :muah:

dustinac
11-22-2007, 09:31 AM
We will have turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, greenbeans, mac-a-cheese (kids), home made rolls, and pumpkin pie :happydance:

itsjustmeghan
11-22-2007, 10:26 AM
wow, i'm glad i'm not the only one who was up past their bedtime last night! DH is getting the smoker all set up for the turkey, so that should get started soon. i have apple pie to finish baking, cookies to make, stuffing, peel potatoes, and clean my kitchen.
but of course, it's not thanksgiving without a trip to the grocery store for the stuff you forgot. we don't have garbage bags and i forgot to buy sage.....:doh:
so after the turkey gets set, i'll run out, and maybe pick up something for breakfast while i'm out.
i love the grocery on thanksgiving. it's always a bunch of men on cell phones calling their wives from their cell phones saying "wait, you want what? what does the package look like?.....well they don't have a green one, they have a white, a blue and a red....yes i'm looking around!"
love it!

cindycactus
11-22-2007, 10:30 AM
I made reservations so did not have to stay up late.:roflhard:

Happy Thanksgiving!

knitncook
11-22-2007, 10:35 AM
We have a big dinner each year with a bunch of good friends who don't have family in the area. This year there will be around 18 of us. Another friend and I do most all of the cooking. I just put the bird in the oven (that was prepped last night) and have 2 pumpking pies and 3 loaves of bread baked plus will make a chocolate pie for my son. Today I will make the stuffing, green bean casserole and sweet potatoes. My friend is making a second turkey (sadly everyone likes mine better as it is moist and flavorful so I won't have leftovers) cranberry relish, a veggie tray and a few pies. One other friend is bringing a green salad. The rest are "moochers" They bring their appetites. That's ok. They're good friends and it would be this or a frozen pot pie in front of the tv alone.

jdee
11-22-2007, 11:39 AM
I was up late last night making pecan pies, and an Italian pasta salad, that has to be refrigerated over night. It's ok, though, because I'm an insomniac, and I'm never in bed early.lol Today, I'm making a corn casserol. DH is smoking the turkey this year, using his new outdoor grill. He's also making the gravy, mac and cheese, and this recipe he makes with orzo and veggies that is wonderful. My sister is bringing dressing, chicken and dumplings (she knows how to make them like Mom used to, so she always gets that job), and a devil's food cake. My sister is bringing the green beans, and several desserts. My Dad is just coming to eat. He used to do the turkey, but he's older now, and is too tired to do it, so he's going to going to come and enjoy the meal. He deserves it. :)

angel4ever
11-22-2007, 11:44 AM
At around 11:30 last night, I had just finished cooking my pot of collard greens, chopped the vegetables for the stuffing, and started the seasoning for the turkey. I woke up at 6:30am to put the stuffing and macaroni & cheese in the oven. Mac & cheese & stuffing were done by 8:00, pie went in at 8:15, turkey went in at 9:15am. The fried chicken is done also. Once the turkey is done, the dinner rolls will go in and then I'll be done! Whew, that's a lot!

~Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!!!~

Silver
11-22-2007, 12:31 PM
I don't usually cook the night before. I do all my cooking the day of. But this year, it's an exceptionally small Thanksgiving. Just me, DH, the kids and my dad. (My mom is out of town.)

So I'm doing a mini Thanksgiving dinner. A smoked turkey breast, smoked turkey (both already fully cooked), and our two favorite casseroles.. sweet potato and asparagus. The required jellied cranberrie sauce, pecan pie from Publix, and breadsticks. (Yes, this is a "mini" thanksgiving dinner. LOL)

dreamsherl
11-22-2007, 12:48 PM
My contribution to Thanksgiving dinner is this seven layer salad.

jodstr2
11-22-2007, 04:47 PM
the only thing I made yesterday was the brine and the cranberry sauce. at 2300 last night we were putting the turkey in the brine and cleaning the kitchen floor 'cuz we spilled it.
today I boiled the yellow potatoes (for mashed), and made the sweet potatoes. Dyl will make the green bean casserole in a couple of hours, and I'll chop veggies for the stuffing soon.
our guests are arriving at 1400 (just 2 people - a couple, the husband works for J), and will be bringing appetizers and her to-die-for mac n cheese.
idk what time the turkey needs to go in the oven - I'll leave that to J.

Lady Violet
11-22-2007, 05:25 PM
jodstr2, you must have ties to the military. i love it! :teehee:

this year we're actually doing the big T-Day dinner on friday. it won't be the same though because this will be the first without my brother. he's on okinawa (USAF). i just got used to him eating half of the casserols. :roll: i'm making chocolate sauce for the creme puffs. it's kind of a letdown after last year. i claimed thanksgiving dinner way in advance and did the whole thing martha stewart style. it's a good thing mom had just won a $150 gift card to food lion because i spent most of it. :shock: everything was from scratch (of course). it was delicious, but i realized how truly underappreciated the person who does all the cooking is. i'm determined to make last year's stuffing for christmas this year. it has apples in it. cloud9

jodstr2
11-25-2007, 02:25 PM
I hope all of you had a nice Thanksgiving. I've been lazing around all weekend - if I don't count the 0600 trip on Friday to my LYS for 30% off and a stop at OSH for new outside Christmas lights. I was home and sleeping by 0730.

jodstr2, you must have ties to the military. i love it! :teehee:

:) been telling time like that since about '91, when I went to work for a multinational company, since most of the employees used it. my husband is a former Marine and does it as well. it feels like it's been ages since I've said or typed ay-em and pee-em! :teehee:

Lady Violet
11-25-2007, 04:11 PM
i wish my LYSs would have sales like that. :pout:
i'm really jealous, but my wallet sure isn't. :teehee: