PDA

View Full Version : Felting...what is it and how do you do it?

dalisn28
11-22-2007, 04:06 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm very new to knitting (doing my first sweater). Reading this site I keep seeing talk about felting. What I can't figure out is what it actually is. Sounds like really fuzzy yarn/FO?

Thanks to all who can clue me in!

KnittingNat
11-22-2007, 05:16 AM
Felting is a process that involves knitting an object (usually on larger needles than required for the particular yarn) from wool (because only natural wool or some wool blends will shrink), then washing it in washing machine or by hand. The object shrinks, so that you barely can see the stitches and gets it's final shape.
This (http://www.paradisefibers.net/Fibertrends-Hedgehog-Pattern-p/2174.htm) for example is a pattern for a felted toy. HTH

psquidy
11-22-2007, 11:42 AM
You knit really big stitches so that the wool rubs up against itself and agitates little bits of it loose, the little bits grab the little bits next to it and then the grab eachother and SHRINK! The end product is a solid piece of fabric that you can cut and it won't unravle! It's really fun and easy, try it. I'd suggest the Fiber Tends Felted Clogs for when your more comfortable with basics and want to try something diffent.