PDA

View Full Version : Not celebrating Thanksgiving?

feministmama
11-22-2007, 02:04 PM
Anyone?

fibrenut
11-22-2007, 02:05 PM
:waah:
I got sick with the flu n won't be goin to my sis's house today:passedout:

suzeeq
11-22-2007, 02:09 PM
Not exactly. There's just the two of us - our families are hundreds of miles away in two opposite directions and we only have the one day off. We were going to cook up some steak we have in the freeze, but since I just had a birthday and he owes me a nice dinner, we may go out instead.

He is watching the Lions/packers game and making an apple pie, so I guess that counts....

iza
11-22-2007, 02:26 PM
I don't really celebrate the Canadian's Thanksgiving, and American Thanksgiving is really just a normal work day for me. But I'm cheating right now and am watching a dog show on an American channel... don't tell anyone! :shifty: :teehee:

alleusion
11-22-2007, 03:24 PM
This is my first year away from my family for the holidays. Canadian Thanksgiving just seemed like just another day. It even felt like Canadians didn't really celebrate it either...just my first timer observation. Anyway, I was feeling sorry for myself, thinking I was going to be feeding my children spaghetti for dinner, so I got up, trudged through my first snowfall ever (yes, ever), and got a small turkey breast and a few side dishes along with an apple pie.

So, while I'm not celebrating in the traditional sense, my children, my husband, and I will be having turkey tonight.

auburnchick
11-22-2007, 04:12 PM
We are across country right now. It's the first year we won't be having a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. I'm headed to the grocery store to see what I can find for my ds and me. The hotel is having a Thanksgiving buffet, but I do not feel like paying $25/person.

Hope that those of you who are sick feel better soon.

:hug:

knitgal
11-22-2007, 04:15 PM
Well, Canadians don't celebrate Thanksgiving in the same way as Americans. We don't have several days off, we have 1 day off, and it was over a month ago. I love Thanksgiving as a time to spend with family and eat turkey etc., but I know it's more for Americans- History etc.
Alleusion, I can't wait until it really snows for you. This was NOTHING compared to what's coming. Wait until it's feet of snow instead of centimeters! Last Valentine's Day there was a huge storm where the snow drifts were 70cm high (27.6 inches). You think you trudged today....just you wait! My DBF trudged in the Valentines day storm to buy me some flowers- yellow tulips! The snow was up to his knees. You're going to love it.

knitgal
11-22-2007, 04:20 PM
I found a couple of good snow pictures of last Valentine's day. Here's (http://bp2.blogger.com/_baBLnleMCrc/RdNNroh_otI/AAAAAAAAAHQ/mStapnz1QHg/s1600-h/snow+storm-LA)a good one, it's someones blog. Here's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:HamiltonSnow07.jpg) another good one. I hope I'm not scaring you.

Hsiaokuo62
11-22-2007, 04:25 PM
Hi All,

Hope you are having a good day no matter how it plays out. This is the first Thanksgiving ever, I think, that I have not made the turkey etc... etc... myself. We are going to my DH's ex's house in a little while for dinner with her, her new husband, his son and brother and my step kids. So actually it will be *more* of a celebration than I'm used to, since there will be so many more people! However it does not feel like Thanksgivng to me, not having all the preparations. I made a marinated broccoli salad and some butternut squash to bring.

I realize that I *always* have mood issues on this holiday, having to do with the fact that others in the family don't get as happy as I wnat them to, don't pitch in and help, etc... etc... I aspire to that Norman Rockwell ideal but I'm not living in a Norman Rockwell family (maybe none of us is anymore...)

Anyway! Wishing contentment and serenity to all of you, and to myself too!

:heart:

alleusion
11-22-2007, 04:36 PM
OH....MY....GAWD!

Okay, I've lived in southern California since I was 8 years old. Before that, we lived in southeast Texas. People there freaked if it started sprinkling. Granted I get a little thrill every time I peek outside and see the snow falling, but I don't know if I'm ready for feet.

Yes, I know this is Canada, and it will snow and snow and snow and snow some more. I know this is just the tip of it all. I think I'll be staying inside for awhile.

happyanddandy
11-22-2007, 05:18 PM
No Thanksgiving here in the UK - hope you all have a good time :)

knitncook
11-24-2007, 04:08 PM
We roast a turkey and get together with some friends, but there's no football, no poring through the sales ads or preparing to go line up outisde of Best Buy all night long. It's not really a "traditional" thanksgiving. Just some food and friends and watch some movies or (like last year) strike up the forge and melt brass. We gave up on the traditional family Thanksgiving years ago and haven't regretted it yet.