View Full Version : Pattern Search for Patons Astra Yarn

11-22-2007, 09:02 PM
So last week I got magnetically pulled :hug: (no really, it was hard to resist) into the Michael's yarn sale. I came out with alot of yarn :woohoo: and I already have a few patterns in mind for the fancy stuff but the Patons Astra was just so cheap and colorful, I kind of just grabbed with no pattern in mind.

So I'm looking for a beginner/intermediate friendly pattern for a toddler. Something winter friendly too. :think: I wanted to try my first sweater and I had "Baby's First Tatoo" in mind from Snb but the weight of the yarn is different. Do you think I should just double strand it? If it's lightweight single stranded, how will the weight change when it's double stranded?

Would it be totally pointless to try to make acrylic warm? :??: lol She needs a hat since it just snowed today - alot - and a scarf probably too. But I know acrylic isn't the best choice.

All ideas are welcome and thank you in advance. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

11-22-2007, 09:19 PM
I actually just bought a book from Paton's, specifically for Astra yarn called "Snow Kids". There are 6 patterns for hat / mittens / scarf sets. The sizes range from 2-4 yrs, 6-10 yrs, and 12-14 yrs. I got it to make a hat and mittens for my 11 yr old son.

They look very easy / intermediate-ish, except for the fair isle one....they marked it as intermediate, but I'm intimidated by it. Hats and mittens are knit flat and seamed, the scarves are done on circs.

11-22-2007, 09:51 PM
Astra is perfect for kids' things. It needs to be machine washable, and acrylic is warm.

A simple top-down raglan is my favorite kind of sweater--simple and not much seaming.

Check out the patterns at www.knittingpatterncentral.com . I'm sure you can find one for the weight of the Astra.