PDA

View Full Version : Pattern Search for Patons Astra Yarn

lotusinthemud
11-22-2007, 09:02 PM
So last week I got magnetically pulled :hug: (no really, it was hard to resist) into the Michael's yarn sale. I came out with alot of yarn :woohoo: and I already have a few patterns in mind for the fancy stuff but the Patons Astra was just so cheap and colorful, I kind of just grabbed with no pattern in mind.

So I'm looking for a beginner/intermediate friendly pattern for a toddler. Something winter friendly too. :think: I wanted to try my first sweater and I had "Baby's First Tatoo" in mind from Snb but the weight of the yarn is different. Do you think I should just double strand it? If it's lightweight single stranded, how will the weight change when it's double stranded?

Would it be totally pointless to try to make acrylic warm? :??: lol She needs a hat since it just snowed today - alot - and a scarf probably too. But I know acrylic isn't the best choice.

All ideas are welcome and thank you in advance. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

alleusion
11-22-2007, 09:19 PM
I actually just bought a book from Paton's, specifically for Astra yarn called "Snow Kids". There are 6 patterns for hat / mittens / scarf sets. The sizes range from 2-4 yrs, 6-10 yrs, and 12-14 yrs. I got it to make a hat and mittens for my 11 yr old son.

They look very easy / intermediate-ish, except for the fair isle one....they marked it as intermediate, but I'm intimidated by it. Hats and mittens are knit flat and seamed, the scarves are done on circs.

Ingrid
11-22-2007, 09:51 PM
Astra is perfect for kids' things. It needs to be machine washable, and acrylic is warm.

A simple top-down raglan is my favorite kind of sweater--simple and not much seaming.

Check out the patterns at www.knittingpatterncentral.com . I'm sure you can find one for the weight of the Astra.