PDA

View Full Version : DPN Question

Miley384
11-23-2007, 01:50 AM
I started to knit on DPN's with the help of te DPN video, but it really did not help me. My question is, when knitting with DPN's do you go clockwise or counter-clockwise? Thanks.

starburst
11-23-2007, 01:52 AM
you knit stitches off the needle in your left hand with the needle in your right hand, just like you normally would

suzeeq
11-23-2007, 02:00 AM
With dpns you work on 2 needles, the others are like stitch holders. You join the circle by knitting the first st you CO and it's counter clockwise, with the needle tips closer to you, and the other stitches further away. Look at the video for knitting with circular needles; it works the same way, with the cord being the stitch holder instead of 2 needles, but you might be able to get it by seeing the same thing done a different way. The pictures here - http://www.knitpicks.com/content/index.php/cat/knitting-in-the-round/ may help you out too.

Debbie1519
11-14-2013, 12:38 PM
Hi everyone

My problem with dpns is that when I am knitting a mitten my mitten is always inside out and I can t figure out why. Can anyone help me

Debbie

justplaincharlotte
11-14-2013, 05:31 PM
Hi everyone

My problem with dpns is that when I am knitting a mitten my mitten is always inside out and I can t figure out why. Can anyone help me

Debbie

hmmm... I'll let one of our residents tackle the why this may be happening, because I knit mine that way on purpose, finish on the outside,then turn them inside out.

I'm assuming you're working in stockinette. Is your stockinette (right side) showing on the inside, and the purl side (wrong side) on the outside? If so and you're comfortable doing it that way, you could just weave your ends into the purl bumps on the outside, and turn it inside out.

salmonmac
11-15-2013, 06:48 AM
Yes, the conventional way to do this is with the right side of the mitten to the outside and the wrong side to the inside of the circle made by the dpns but many knitters prefer the opposite.
You may be holding your knitting with the working needle tips and working yarn away from you and the circle of dpns closest to your body. You could change (flip the mitten inside out) so that the needle tips and working yarn are closest to you and the body of the mitten is toward your lap. Jan posted a good photo of this orientation here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115339), post #2.