PDA

View Full Version : ARRRRGH

tangrene
11-23-2007, 03:55 AM
OH Dear! I am so frustrated with trying to watch a few videos that WAS watchable before they added those ads inside the flash player. I was literally working one night trying to get the magic loop figured out and ran the video over and over. Finally got sleepy, went to bed and the next day went back and I had to shake my head to clear my head cause now there were fast loading ads attached within the flash video player. No sound, no video. Just black screen, except for the ads for mernino wool and options needles.*sigh* I have come back weekly since then hoping that the web site would get back to a workable state once the worked the bugs out of the new video player setup. But NO...still doesn't work. It worked fine for me days before all this...I did not have conflict with my firewall or even my admuncher, the videos played and the static ads place around the page were acceptable. But one those ads were placed into the flash player I have not been able to get one video to play and I think I tried every one of them too! I know ads are necessary, but aggravating ones that take over a video and prevent it from running only gets under your skin and makes ya less willing to click any of the other links out of curiosity. A good site with good info and a good forum no doubt does not need to push an ad into a teaching video. The ads around the top bottom and sides are sufficent to get traffic IMHO. I am a visual learner and watching a short demonstration makes alot of difference to me so I was pleased to find a link to this site after seeing a link from the Knitty Gritty site. I orginally came looking for info about convertible needle kits and saw the videos and thought it was great. So I guess I'll check back in a month or so and see if the videos are working yet. BTW...I filled out the bug form after reading all the info about that web site problems and opened the ports in my firewall as suggested as well as used the firefox browser recommended. But still no video.

Debkcs
11-23-2007, 04:16 AM
Don't have a solution for you, but I do hope you can get some help.

BTW, have you considered buying Cat Bordhi's book "Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles"? Lot's of folks love that book.

starburst
11-23-2007, 05:08 AM
I haven't had any problem with the ads

WildMountainHoney
11-23-2007, 11:27 AM
Are you running the latest version of Flash? Can you view other Flash pages elsewhere on the 'net? Maybe you have Block Flash set to get rid of dancing ads on other site, and that is blocking all Flash?

The ads are still static, as far as I can see, when I watch the videos (and all vids are working for me, but I did also update Flash just before the site switched). Of course, I am one who wasn't able to watch all of them BEFORE the switch (well, I could go to the "direct link to video" and then get my movie play to view it, but it was more of a pain) so I'm happy with the update and I wish you were too!

Also, as I recall, there were still ads in the new window that opened for each video, I don't believe that has changed.

sheldon
11-23-2007, 12:04 PM
Our advertising is displayed the same as it always has. Nothing has changed there between the new site and the old site. Our videos are viewed on average of 100K times a day by many. The ads are never displayed within the videos themselves, they are always separate and appear above the player. We put a lot of care into our advertising layout to ensure that the ads are non-invasive and doesn't detract from the viewers experience of the site. If there are ads where there are supposed to be videos it sounds like you might have spyware or something else going on.

The black screen error is always a firewall error in my experience. If you computer can't connect to our video server on port 8080 it will not be able to load the videos and will instead display a black box where the video would normally display. Try disabling your firewall temporarily and see if you are able to view the videos. If you are able to view the videos you'll want to reconfigure your firewall to allow inbound/outbound connections to port 8080.

You can test whether you can access port 8080 by clicking on this link:
http://videos1.knittinghelp.com:8080/

It should open in the browser and display the text KH Video Server #1. If the page never loads then port 8080 is blocked and you should check your firewall.