PDA

View Full Version : Notes on Knit Picks yarns

Kime
11-23-2007, 01:51 PM
Knit Picks has such reasonable prices that I have been experimenting with some of their yarns and here are some observations that may prove useful to others.

Telemark seems harder than their other yarns and knits up more like a worsted weight (5 stitches per inch) than a DK for me. I actually got a slightly smaller guage with Wool of the Andes than with Telemark. I think Telemark would be good for hard wearing items. It has the same level of scratchyness (on a scale of 1 to 10 I would give it a 7, same as Andes) but it has a harder hand or tougher feel to it; slightly less drapey.

Wool of the Andes has more sheen than the merino yarns. The merino would be an 8 on the scratchyness scale, good enough for babies ( I leave room for even softer yarns here) The fingering equivalents of Andes and the merinos work up the same as worsted (5 stitches per inch for me) if you double the yarn. This is nice if you want to combine colors for more variety or if you want a color from the fingering in a worsted. I think Andes is probably soft enough to wear next to the skin for most people but when I finish the sweater I am working on I will be able to give it the acid test. Does anyone have an opinion on this that has been using it?

The superwash will not felt at all for a spit splice, as some other brands of superwash will. I imagine that it really can be thrown in the dryer.

Gloss gets an 8.5 on the scratchyness scale, has more sheen than Andes and knits up at 7 stitches single and slightly over 5 stitches doubled, which is nice because they don't have it in a worsted weight.

Elegance has slightly less sheen than gloss. Came out ot 6 stitches per inch for me and is very soft and drapey.

Andean silk get 9 on the Scratchyness scale mainly because it has an even softer, drapier hand than the Gloss, because neither of them have any scratchyness. They have about the same amount of gloss.

I have dyed several of the bare yarns and I am pleased with the results.

Jan in CA
11-23-2007, 02:00 PM
You didn't explain your scale.. 1 is roughest and 10 is softest?

IMO WOTA is not soft enough for babies so I guess some of it has to do with personal sensitivities and opinion.

Nice of you to share your thoughts, it should be helpful to members wondering about KP yarns. :thumbsup:

Kime
11-23-2007, 02:33 PM
10 is softest. I didn't make myself very clear; the paragraph with WOTA was actually a comparison of WOTA with their merino wools and I said that the merino was soft enough for babies, not the WOTA. I have WOTA at a 7 and the merino at 8.

suzeeq
11-23-2007, 03:02 PM
It might be more clear if you called it a softness scale, with 10 being the softest and 1 the roughest.

CindyS
11-23-2007, 05:17 PM
I'm making a sweater for my dd8 from WOTA in Tidepool Heather. She tried it on for sleeve length the other day while wearing a short-sleeved shirt, and complained that the sweater was "scratchy." I told her she could wear it with long-sleeved shirts and it would be fine. So I think WOTA could have an itch factor for some.

suzeeq
11-23-2007, 11:48 PM
I ordered some WoTA and sent it back; it's nothing I wanted for a next to the skin sweater. I got the merino style instead. mmmmmm

knitncook
11-24-2007, 09:19 AM
Yes; I find WOTA a bit scratchier than others. Maybe a 5 on your scale. The pallette is soft (maybe an 8) but I found I had to use much smaller needles than what it called for. The socks I made the first time using this wool was much too open. It also felted very quickly after just a handful of wearings. If I ever make socks of this again I will definitely use smaller needles.

GiddyKnitter
11-24-2007, 11:01 AM
Hi Kime

Have you used Knit Picks Ambrosia 80% Baby Alpaca and 20% Cashmere?
My friend in Kansas has just put some in the post for I am going to knit a couple of the Dimple Shale Lace scarves with it.

Kime
11-24-2007, 12:22 PM
Hi Pauline,

I haven't used it. I expect it would be very nice, extremely soft with good drape but not springy like wool. Probably not much sheen. When you try it maybe you can post your opinion on it in this thread.

GiddyKnitter
11-24-2007, 12:27 PM
Will do I am expecting a delivery early next week!! It's so exciting waiting for yarn to arrive don't you think?

Kime
11-24-2007, 12:34 PM
Michelle,

I am surprised that you found the Palette softer than WOTA because they are made with the same wool. They seem the same to me. I think the guage for the needle size is very dependent on knitting style, I got 7.5 stitches with size 3 needles.

brittyknits
11-24-2007, 02:07 PM
This was an incredibly helpful list. We all ought to chip in and hire you to go through the yarns of every company!:)

Kime
11-24-2007, 02:21 PM
Thank you, I am glad you find it helpful. I was particularly interested in Knit Picks yarns because they are priced so well, and I happen to enjoy knitting swatches. I think that the comments of others who have used the yarns are very helpful, too. Thank you all.

WshUpnASta
11-26-2007, 08:37 AM
Thank you, I am glad you find it helpful. I was particularly interested in Knit Picks yarns because they are priced so well, and I happen to enjoy knitting swatches. I think that the comments of others who have used the yarns are very helpful, too. Thank you all.

I just made a Braided Hat with Andean Silk from Knit picks in Lettuce. I just purchased Chocolate to make my dd21 the same hat with Andean Silk from Knit Picks.

Jaxhil
11-26-2007, 10:52 AM
WshUpnASta, that is a *gorgeous* hat-if I may, where did you get the pattern? That looks like something my Mom might love (or me! :teehee:). I love to make her things-is it a hard pattern? It looks really complicated, but small enough so I would not give up, LOL!

I wish I had some Andean Silk to make it up in, but alas, I will have to work entirely from stash for any presents this year...luckily, I have a large stash :mrgreen:

Thanks!

Gretaoto
11-26-2007, 01:18 PM
I really like their yarns.

Essentials is a really soft and nice sock yarn.

Wool of Andes I think feels softer than Patons Merino or Lion Brand wool, and the color selection is great.

I like to use their lace weight double stranded to make socks, they are nice and soft.

I have used their Crayon yarn and find it feels great but I am not too fond of the boucle look it creates. Also, I have knitted with their Shine yarn, and it is the softest but kind of too shiny.

Overall, great yarn for the price and wide selection.

jdee
11-26-2007, 02:50 PM
I just made a Braided Hat with Andean Silk from Knit picks in Lettuce. I just purchased Chocolate to make my dd21 the same hat with Andean Silk from Knit Picks.

:inlove: Your hat is beautiful! I just love it.

WshUpnASta
11-26-2007, 06:10 PM
WshUpnASta, that is a *gorgeous* hat-if I may, where did you get the pattern? That looks like something my Mom might love (or me! :teehee:). I love to make her things-is it a hard pattern? It looks really complicated, but small enough so I would not give up, LOL!

I wish I had some Andean Silk to make it up in, but alas, I will have to work entirely from stash for any presents this year...luckily, I have a large stash :mrgreen:

Thanks!

The pattern is from this board, its called Braided Hat Pattern. There's a thread here on this board.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28329

msoebel
11-27-2007, 11:29 AM
Wool of Andes I think feels softer than Patons Merino or Lion Brand wool, and the color selection is great.
Overall, great yarn for the price and wide selection.

I agree!:thumbsup: I enjoyed knitting with WOTA, but the Lion Brand and Patons was so rough my hands got pretty cracked. I doubt I would use it in a garment that I would wear against my skin, but honestly, I don't know that I would wear wool against my skin, anyway.