PDA

View Full Version : help- yarn question

Abbily
11-23-2007, 05:17 PM
I want to make this (http://www.interweaveknits.com/freepatterns/pdf/WelcomeBack.pdf) sweater but I can't afford for it to be a $120 sweater. I haven't been knitting all that long, so I don't know that much about yarns yet. Can anyone suggest a yarn that I could use that won't totally break the bank, will look nice, and won't be too scratchy? I love sweaters, but here in central Texas it is almost never cold enough to wear them, and definitely not with something under it.
THANKS! :)

Ingrid
11-23-2007, 06:06 PM
Yarndex calls the Tahki New Tweed a worsted weight, so maybe you could substitute with a cotton?

Becky Morgan
11-23-2007, 07:11 PM
Cotton is good just about anywhere and there are some really pretty ones around, not just Sugar and Cream (even if I do like it.) If you can get to a yarn/craft shop, put your hands on a bunch of different kinds to see what would feel good to you, then see what it takes to get gauge. Even if you have to knit a little less tightly with a lighter yarn, that might be a good thing for your climate. Remember, the Knitting Police will not bust you for using a different yarn :D

Abbily
11-23-2007, 08:44 PM
I was thinking of either Shine Worsted or Swish Superwash worsted from knitpicks. I have never fondled either of them, but the swish seems like it would be great. I'm just worried that it would be too warm for me here. What do you guys think?
Thanks for the help so far!

bip
11-23-2007, 09:12 PM
That sweater looks like it would be warm no matter what you knit it with. It looks very ambitious, you will be very proud of yourself when you finish!

I agree that cotton will be your best bet. I might look for a good price on a mercerized cotton from www.littleknits.com. Smiley's has an excellent price on a cotton I've been drooling over for a while (Grignasco Mexico), but they only have black or white left.

You mention that you are a newer knitter, do you need help figuring out how to tell if you can substitute one yarn for another? Oh, and if you are on Ravelry, there are some other people who have made/are making that sweater (and if you aren't on Ravelry, get on the list! It is lots of fun and a good complement to this site).

threesmom
11-23-2007, 10:38 PM
I was thinking of either Shine Worsted or Swish Superwash worsted from knitpicks. I have never fondled either of them, but the swish seems like it would be great. I'm just worried that it would be too warm for me here. What do you guys think?
Thanks for the help so far!

I like them both - they both knit up nicely and are quite soft. The swish might be warm where you are ... but it is fun to knit with! I am a big wool fan though! I really like the shine too, but I've only used dk. I might be afraid it would be too ... um, shiny for cables though. But I haven't done it, and it might be fine. A nice compromise might be knitpicks main line - I like that too - it is soft, and holds the stitches. And some of the colors are on sale right now.

keep us posted on what you choose!

suzeeq
11-24-2007, 12:11 AM
A cotton blend might be an idea. Knitpicks has a cotton/wool blend and you can also look at cotton/acrylics.

Abbily
11-24-2007, 09:46 PM
Thanks for all the ideas, everyone! :)