PDA

View Full Version : Ball winder redux

kitkat
11-24-2007, 10:24 AM
A few weeks ago I took advantage of my Joann's email to order a swift. Well - now I have a two fold disaster - Joann's no longer appears to carry the nicer Royal Ball Winder AND I have changed emails and no longer get the flipping coupons! I have really tried to get on their list too.

So....where would you buy the ball winder from now??? Who else carries them?

momwolf
11-24-2007, 10:44 AM
Is this what you want
http://www.knitpicks.com/Ball+Winder_AD80001.html

GiddyKnitter
11-24-2007, 10:48 AM
Might have to put one of those on my Christmas wish list!

mommydearest
11-24-2007, 10:53 AM
Does this ball winder work well? I've thought about getting one but not sure which to get: ball winder or umbrella swift. What's the difference between them (dumb question maybe?).

Mary

knitncook
11-24-2007, 11:52 AM
A swift is an expandable support to hold your yarn while you ball it (rather than having to draft another person to hold your yarn while you ball it) and the ball winder has a spinny handle that winds neat center pull balls while the hanks are either on a swift or in someone's hands. I have yet to find a way to ball yarn without a second person or a swift. I can't hold my feet out that long! LOL!

Spikey
11-24-2007, 12:52 PM
I have the KnitPicks ball winder and have been very happy with it. Just got the large swift from Joanne's but haven't tried it out yet.

kitkat
11-24-2007, 12:55 PM
That is exactly what I want. But....if I order, then inevitably I will end up ordering something else....because that site is just EVIL! EEEEEEE!

Many people can do it with the ballwinder only - but you really need a second person to hold the skein - hence the swift. I have asked Cooper if he would learn but so far he has not been cooperative.

kellyh57
11-24-2007, 01:17 PM
JoAnn seems to take things off their website when they run out. They may have it next week. If you want the coupon codes, try http://www.currentcodes.com/. They have all of them and are usually updated pretty frequently. They have a bunch of other stores too.

Kelly

brendajos
11-24-2007, 02:48 PM
Yup... I use CurrentCodes.com for all my coupon hunting. I have finally got ticked off enough by the number of emails I get from Joann's that I have taken my name off their list for internet store coupons. I can get them on current codes whenever i need something (like when i bought the namaste messenger bag the other day from them :happydance: )

They lost me after they readded me for the design and scrapbooking coupons after i had stopped getting them for so long. Grrrr...! ;)

kellyh57
11-24-2007, 03:34 PM
Yup... I use CurrentCodes.com for all my coupon hunting. I have finally got ticked off enough by the number of emails I get from Joann's that I have taken my name off their list for internet store coupons. I can get them on current codes whenever i need something (like when i bought the namaste messenger bag the other day from them :happydance: )

They lost me after they readded me for the design and scrapbooking coupons after i had stopped getting them for so long. Grrrr...! ;)

You may be the one who got me hooked on the site. It was probably here. Thanks to whoever it was!! Every time I place an order online, I check that site and then google the store name if they don't have anything.

Kelly

cristeen
11-24-2007, 05:42 PM
Ok, I'm a bit of a nerd, but since my swift and ball winder both went missing, I've had to improvise. I flip my ironing board upside down and use the legs to hold the hank of yarn so I can wrap the ball by hand. The legs can adjust to any number of distances, and sitting in a swivel chair next to it, I don't have to kill myself to get the yarn off, or ask my DH to hold it for me.

boo1
11-24-2007, 05:53 PM
I have tried to wind a hank without it and it was not a pretty sight!

I know it's $$, but it's really worth it!

Pat in Ca
11-24-2007, 06:02 PM
I looked thru previous threads and found an idea that worked like a charm for me... use a "spinning lampshade" (Upside down cone shape... fatter at bottom) ...loosen the screw at top that keeps the lampshade in place and place yarn over top and pull.. I just wound a ball of Malabrigo that is very (sticky) and had no problem at all..
I used Amy's method of center pull ball winding on her video.. thanks Amy!!!

kitkat
11-26-2007, 03:00 PM
I ordered my ball winder today from knit picks - who knows if and when it will be back to Joann's. I also ordered two 32 inch size 2.25 mm needlers so I can get a third pair of socks on the needles and do the magic loop thing! (I have gobs of opal - so I can use my handy new ballwinder to split the ball!) So no shipping costs....I avoided the yarn, I avoided the books, I was such a good girl!

hocns
11-27-2007, 04:37 PM
Before my ball winder and swift days, I wound hundreds of balls of yarn by crossing my legs and hanging the skein over my crossed legs. The only time I ever had a problem was with a 500 g skein of mohair.

If you want the Rolls Royce of ball winders, check out woolhousetools.com. I have one and adore it. I have their swift as well, it's a little larger than most swifts, and holds larger skeins quite nicely.

Brandilyne
11-28-2007, 01:55 PM
I think I might wind balls a bit strangely, but it works for me so far, since I don't have a swift! I've been recycling a TON of yarn, so when I unravel it, I wind it into a big hank and then wash and dry it. When I'm done, I hang the big O of yarn over my arm and undo about 15 loops of yarn as I walk around my kitchen :teehee: Then I wind it up on the ball winder, undo about 15 more loops, stop and wind again. Sure, it's not a completely smooth process, but the yarn seems to not get tangled (well, ok maybe once or twice) and it only took me about 15 minutes to wind two good sized balls of laceweight cashmere the other day. I don't think it would work as well with "sticky" yarns though! In fact, I think one of the only times my yarn got a bit tangled was when I was winding some super thick and thin wool from Joann.
I'm going to try and kidnap one of my Mom's big old style lamps with a large shade to try that swift idea though :mrgreen: