PDA

View Full Version : Patons SWS for scarf?

knitwit628
11-24-2007, 05:00 PM
I want to make Silver's Palindrome scarf for my sister's Christmas present. I think Patons SWS has beautiful colors that would look great on this scarf.

But... I've heard mixed reviews about this yarn. Many say it's itchy and other's say it's soft. I'm just afraid I will have difficulties with this yarn while knitting the scarf and come to find out that it doesn't knit up softly in the end. Does anybody have an opinion about this yarn?

Thank you! :)

marykz
11-24-2007, 05:26 PM
I know several have posted this scarf in SWS on the Whatcha knittin forum- just gorgeous!

the yarn has a loose ply, (not much twist) so it can be kinda aggravating to knit with for some (splitty). I found it very very soft (I made slippers). I have heard it felts reallly really easily and fast (some used it for booga bags and got a tiny bag). As far as I've seen, it is colorfast, and soft, but a pain to frog (it sticks to itself). the colorways are really pretty and I'know I've seen one or two palindromes in it! good luck!

rosefields
11-24-2007, 07:49 PM
I believe the original Palindrome scarf was made with Patons SWS...:thumbsup:

dustinac
11-24-2007, 08:18 PM
:happydance: I really like it...it knits up really pretty...I made a Danica last year and got asked so many time "where did you get the scarf?"....the little fibers do tend to stick together which can make frogging a little more annoying...

knitwit628
11-24-2007, 09:09 PM
Thank you everyone! I think I will buy it and see how it goes. I realize about the loose ply and that there are occasional knots, but those kind of issues can be fixed. I can't resist... those colors are so yummy!

brendajos
11-24-2007, 11:53 PM
It can be a little itchy like a yarn that has a bit of mohair blended in it. It has some short little fibers that can make it seem itchy. It is a very soft yarn though. I have made three Danicas with it and they all look beautiful. very pretty!

scubasinger
11-25-2007, 01:13 AM
Agree, agree, agree....to all of it.

I did a Danica with this yarn and LOVE the look of the scarf. I did it in the Natural Earth colorway and it's a fantastic late-fall scarf...the colors just match the falling leaves. It IS a bit 'rough' (itchy maybe?) and you def don't wanna frog too far back. But for me, the price and the colors make it worthwhile.

geekgolightly
11-25-2007, 07:30 AM
the itch factor is similar to lamb's pride, so if that yarn is ok for a scarf for you then you're clear. i think some people are sensitive to mohair. i know i am.

it's a bit splitty, too, but it sure is beutiful.