PDA

View Full Version : Knitting Hats on DP Needles

dleonard
11-24-2007, 05:57 PM
I am trying to teach myself how to knit a hat on DP needles but I'm not sure how to join the ends together so I can start working in the round. Could someone please help! Thanks!

Lady Violet
11-24-2007, 07:19 PM
shandeh made a great video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ajp0QUWYkk) on how to join. she uses circs, but it's the same thing for dpns. it makes the join look really smooth, almost not there at all! :)

mommydearest
11-25-2007, 08:51 AM
Thank you Shadeh for your website and the video to join cirs and dpns. I will definately try that on my next circular project (like when I start for the 3rd time on my dd beanie)

Mary

Yarnlady
11-25-2007, 08:54 AM
I often knit the first couple of rows before joining. It's so much easier with some yarns and some needles to do it that way than to try and fight with it.

I use the tail to seam up the little opening and it's not even visible!

I read these instructions on a vintage pattern that was published in the '40s, so I know other knitters have used this technique, too. :teehee:

Miley384
11-25-2007, 11:21 AM
This will help! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NQMGCo_mXY

a.shin.grace
11-25-2007, 03:11 PM
I just started knitting again a few weeks ago and have been on this website for most of my waking days!

One thing I haven't seen mentioned though, that I sorta figured out while teaching myself to use DPNs (as you are!) is that to avoid ladders when you switch out needles, instead of making the "breaks" at the same stitch every round, I add about 3 or 4 stitches from the next needle (the one with full stitches on it, not the one that you just freed up) onto the old needle and then take the bare needle and start working on that. Then when I'm done transferring from the one needle, I add a few more stitches from the next needle. Does that make sense at all? Too many vague demonstrative pronouns maybe?

I'll include pictures if I need to.

But it sorta keeps the loose knit rotating so it evens out. Or just make that join real tight.

Or both.

suzeeq
11-25-2007, 04:27 PM
I think that's pretty clear, but it's something that I've seen described before and done. Works very well.