PDA

View Full Version : Does dreary weather make you depressed? ....

boo1
11-24-2007, 06:00 PM
It just turned cold here, and it has been raining all weekend. It just makes me want to curl up in bed and sleep.

Just wondering if it was just me...

Quiltlady
11-24-2007, 06:03 PM
Dreary days do not make me depressed but I do prefer a nice sunny day.:cheering:
When it's dreary out my house seems darker so I just put lights on and watch tv, knit, read a book or sew. I really don't let the weather affect me.:hug:

Itsabtme
11-24-2007, 06:16 PM
No, but I have heard that it can have that affect on people.:shrug:

It's been cloudy and cold here all day. I've been curled up on the couch, but it's because I have a cold:achoo:

Hang in there:hug:

Knitting_Guy
11-24-2007, 06:19 PM
Yep, Winter can be a real bummer. Sunlight deprevation and all that. Sure affects me.

vaknitter
11-24-2007, 06:29 PM
Can't say as though rainy days depress me, but they do make me want to curl up with tea, book, and knitting... Having said that since we got the puppy I am depressed by the thought of walking dogs 2-3x a day in the rain. Nothing like the smell of wet dog in the morning, afternoon, and before you go to bed : )

Doublereeder2
11-24-2007, 08:07 PM
I don't know about it making me depressed, but I do want to curl up on the sofa with a cup of something and my knitting in hand. And I do not want to go to work tonight!

figaro
11-24-2007, 08:18 PM
I guess I am kind of the odd one out, I love overcast, even foggy days :happydance:. It reminds me of my hometown, it was (and still is) considered hot if it breaks into the mid 60's there. I do like the sunny days but for me, the cloudy foggy days are the best! (I am a little weird, right?)

Jan in CA
11-24-2007, 08:26 PM
Nope, I love inclement weather! Foggy, cloudy, rainy days are heavenly! It makes me feel all snuggly and I want to curl up with my knitting, a good book and the TV. I wish we had more them there.

Abbily
11-24-2007, 09:49 PM
I absolutely love cold, rainy days. I just curl up with my girls, some hot tea, and either books, movies or games. :) Of course, if I have to work, then I usually hate rainy weather... but just because I don't really like to drive in it. It was cold and rainy all day today, and we stayed in and played cranium all afternoon in front of the fireplace! :)

Silver
11-24-2007, 10:52 PM
I love rainy days too. A long, slow rainy day is soooo relaxing. I open the windows and/or go sit out on the (covered) patio and knit, read, or just watch the rain fall.

I also love when it's right before a thunderstorm.. when you can feel it in the air, and it starts getting really windy, then the rain comes. *SIGH* I LOVE that.

The.Knitter
11-24-2007, 11:02 PM
I have a thing called SAD, otherwise known as Seasonal Affective Disorder (Sunlight Ammune Deficiency Disorder). I've had it since I was 16, but that is a long long time ago and in those days, they just said I was "tempermental" or a "troubled teen". SAD hits me when this damp grey weather comes on. I can tell you that Vitamin D does help a lot. Also, there are ultra violet lights you can buy. Sit in front of it for a while each day, while you are knitting and you will find it helps a LOT.

Best of luck!

stitchwitch
11-25-2007, 10:52 AM
Living in Florida almost all of our days are sunny. Seriously, it gets old after awhile. I like glummy days every once in awhile and like Silver, simply adore that time right before a thunderstorm. I'm kind of a weather freak so I like all changes in the weather, even the hurricane times :hiding: and the severe weather we get here in the summer with the nightly thunderstorms. When we travel to Tennessee over the winter I love the gloomy days and the snow, I'm always outside measuring the snowfall. :happydance:

knitncook
11-25-2007, 10:55 AM
Dreary weather for me means I can do projects at home. I don't feel obligated to take the kids to the park, go hiking, run to the grocery store. I have an excuse to stay home and knit, do the mounds of calligraphy I'm behind in, sew, quilt, bake, and read. I love it when the dears are "dark and dreary." We turn on the lights in the house, put on some music or pop in a movie and work on things we want to do. In fact rainy days are among my favorite! (Just as long as they aren't accompanied by 75+mph winds!)

Knitting_Guy
11-25-2007, 10:58 AM
SAD affects many of us.

Matdredalia
11-25-2007, 10:59 AM
Honestly, I'm still figuring out exactly how the seasons affect my moods (I'm bipolar, sooo....it's kind of hard to understand what I'm feeling sometimes), but I do know that it's pretty common for the darker months of the year to cause some sadness, anxiety, sleepiness, etc.

You might want to look into Seasonal Affective disorder. While I wouldn't go around issuing diagnosis on it, I've seen a few sites that have some good advice for ideas to cheer you up when the weather is down. Can never heart to have cheery advice, hrmm? :aww:

Edit: And apparently someone already mentioned SAD, lol. Whoops. That will teach me to post without reading all the other posts!

Miley384
11-25-2007, 11:23 AM
hhmm... they dont depress me but they don't cheer me up either. I hate rainy days but I LOVE snowy days! Forgive me for being wierd! lol!

GiddyKnitter
11-25-2007, 11:30 AM
There is nothing nicer for me when I get in from night duty and it's raining and blowing a gale and I get to go to bed and snuggle under the duvet while most people are just starting their day... BLISS!!!!

Silver
11-25-2007, 01:06 PM
I'm kind of a weather freak so I like all changes in the weather, even the hurricane times :hiding: and the severe weather we get here in the summer with the nightly thunderstorms.
Me too.. a few years ago when whe had that active hurricane season (not the year with Katrina.. the year before, I think) almost the whole summer was overcast with thunderstorms and threatening hurricanes. I loved it. Even when the hurricane hit and we lost power... didn't get me down one bit!

I guess all the hot sunny days really do make rainy days more appreciated. Florida weather is NOT what it's cracked up to be. If I never had another 95 degree, 70 percent humidity, sunny day, it would be one too many. :thumbsup:

Jan in CA
11-25-2007, 02:14 PM
I guess all the hot sunny days really do make rainy days more appreciated.

I think that is very true. We so seldom get rainy weather that when we do people stand and watch it. Sunny days are getting boring.

stitchwitch
11-25-2007, 02:39 PM
Me too.. a few years ago when whe had that active hurricane season (not the year with Katrina.. the year before, I think) almost the whole summer was overcast with thunderstorms and threatening hurricanes. I loved it. Even when the hurricane hit and we lost power... didn't get me down one bit!

Oh yeah, 2004 when all of those hurricanes went through. All four of them went over our house. I video taped it. :teehee: We got up to watch the "southern lights" at 4am during one of them, the power transformers getting knocked out and they cast a greenish, bluish, yellowish glow in the sky like the northern lights. :roflhard:

debinoz
11-25-2007, 10:35 PM
I love spring and summer thunderstorms. I dislike winter and snow with a passion. I have an unreasonable fear of driving in the snow or ice. They mentioned a possible snow storm in a couple of weeks on the news and I'm already a bundle of nerves and on the verge of tears. I'll be glad when the kids are out of school so I can move where it doesn't snow!!!

Knitting_Guy
11-25-2007, 10:38 PM
Personally I think growing up some place like FL where I grew up, and then being in more Northern parts of the world during the Winter months can actually make SAD worse as you're used to more sunlight.

The.Knitter
11-26-2007, 12:13 AM
Personally I think growing up some place like FL where I grew up, and then being in more Northern parts of the world during the Winter months can actually make SAD worse as you're used to more sunlight.

That is probably true. Try the Vitamin D and see if it helps you. It sure cannot hurt as it is just a vitamin. I have found that it helps me a lot. Best of luck to you Mason!

Knitting_Guy
11-26-2007, 12:17 AM
That is probably true. Try the Vitamin D and see if it helps you. It sure cannot hurt as it is just a vitamin. I have found that it helps me a lot. Best of luck to you Mason!

Thanks. I take a good quality multi-vitamin every day and it includes a healthy does of D. As I am lactose intolerant (and most of our D supplement comes from milk) I've been in the habit of taking them since I was a kid.

oncegoneinsane
11-26-2007, 03:21 AM
i dont like cold weather. i perfer a sunny daycloud9

SnarfyCat
11-26-2007, 01:17 PM
I don't know about it making me depressed, but I do want to curl up on the sofa with a cup of something and my knitting in hand. And I do not want to go to work tonight!

High fives on that one!! Love the cloudy days. Perfect for a lazy relaxing day, but hate having to go to work tonight! Grrr....

jodstr2
11-26-2007, 01:36 PM
rainy, overcast, cooler days *once in a while* are ok. around the beginning of October I look forward to them. I don't mind stretches of 3-4 rainy, overcast, cooler days at a time, but I don't like those stretches to occur too frequently.

I love cold, and I love sun. Ideally my perfect day would be a clear, cloudless, 35 degrees :eyes: :) .

cando
11-27-2007, 01:07 PM
Ideally my perfect day would be a clear, cloudless, 35 degrees :eyes: :) .

That's exactly what the weather is like right now, here in our Colorado town! Winter sun is so beautiful. :)

I grew up in a tropical country by the coast, so hot humid days and a solid 3-4 months of monsoon is what I'm used to. Like so many others on this thread, I love summer thunderstorms and watching rain. Another favorite is when the yard is covered in snow and bathed in moonlight. It's magical.

I had never heard of SAD though, and it's interesting to know. I think my husband may have some mild form of it because he truly dislikes overcast days. Hmm.. vitamin D.

jess_hawk
11-27-2007, 06:00 PM
I love weather changes - I get bored with the same weather for multiple days. The only weather I don't like for any time is hot weather, particularly when it's humid. (I love the cold)

Jeremy
11-27-2007, 06:42 PM
I am really affected by lack of sunlight. Even in the summer, if there are more than two cloudy days in a row I begin to feel it. If its a week I feel absolutely terrible. I make a point to get outside during the day in the winter. Last winter I went to Boynton Beach for a few days in February and felt like a different person. The kind of day that Silver hates is the one that I actually like. I don't mind the heat or the humidity.

Sandi
11-29-2007, 12:52 AM
I think most people are effected by the weather. And lack of sun forsure.
I am lucky in the fact that even though I live somewhere that it can get nasty cold (Calgary, Alberta) we get allot of sun.
My problem here is the sudden change in the weather. We can go from minus 20C to plus 15C within 24 hours. We get these west winds called "Chinook's, they reak havoc with headaches.

Sandi
11-29-2007, 12:53 AM
They have lamps, that help with the "Sunlight" problem. It can really effect people.....
:knitting:

Jan in CA
11-29-2007, 01:17 AM
Pleeeaassse send me your rainy, stormy weather! We need it and I miss it so bad! I should live in San Francisco or Seattle. :shifty: :think:

:roflhard:

VictoiseC
11-29-2007, 01:06 PM
I love rainy days too. A long, slow rainy day is soooo relaxing. I open the windows and/or go sit out on the (covered) patio and knit, read, or just watch the rain fall.

I also love when it's right before a thunderstorm.. when you can feel it in the air, and it starts getting really windy, then the rain comes. *SIGH* I LOVE that.

YOU PUT THAT SOOOOO NICE.

Thank you. (I love that too)