PDA

View Full Version : I am an idiot.

boo1
11-24-2007, 07:38 PM
I just frogged a scarf I had been doing in stockinette. I went to join another skein of yarn and couldn't figure out how to do it. The LYS owner showed me a month ago. I watched Amy's video but couldn't figure it out exactly what she was doing. (I forgot that I was using wool or I could have done a felted join-THAT I get!)

What kind of moron can't join a new skein of yarn? :cry:

I can do a cable but I can't join yarn? Is there any yarn that comes in endless skeins?

knitgal
11-24-2007, 07:45 PM
Oh gosh, don't worry about it! I forgot how to cast on normally the other day. I always do a long tail cast on and I couldn't figure out a regular cast on. I think it's common to forget how to do something. We're all here to help if you need it!

Marj
11-24-2007, 07:57 PM
A couple of weeks ago I was making a hat and whenI got to the double point needle part I forgot how to purl. I was wrapping the yarn the wrong way. It was looking weird so I had to frog that whole row.

Sometimes you just have a brain fart and have no idea what you are doing.

Not too long ago I had to cast on but had been working on a couple of projects for such a long while that I couldn't remember if the tail of the yarn was supposed to be thumb-side or forefinger-side. I actually had to look it up. Granted I've only been knitting a year now. But still, something so simple and I forgot how to do it.

Mulderknitter
11-24-2007, 08:14 PM
You are not an idiot. You had a kinit fart. That's where you completely forget how to do something you've been doing forever, or you completely cannot understand something even though you are a relatively intelligent human being. It happens. :roflhard:
I did a nice lace shawl about a year ago, and I recently went back to make another one, and forgot how to do a yarn over. Who forgets that???:zombie:

webbfamily
11-24-2007, 08:14 PM
not an idiot at all-- I had to print out what method worked best for me if I can't use Amys join.http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52765&page=2 and I leave it sitting right next to where ever I am knitting!

snowbear
11-24-2007, 08:40 PM
:aww:
I recently was making a very simple bookmark.. I mean..we are talking about a very small project... I couldn't figure out how to cast off! 12 stitches... It took me 30 minutes.
I've only been knitting for 3 years. Brain farts happen in all types of things.

starburst
11-24-2007, 10:10 PM
Better to lose your mind than lose your needles, right? Skills come and go, but if you want new needles, you have to pay ;)

Howdovely
11-24-2007, 10:22 PM
Better to lose your mind than lose your needles, right? Skills come and go, but if you want new needles, you have to pay ;)
LOL!!!! I'm sitting here chuckling at your comment!!! It totally sounds like one of those sayings you see on the bottom of notepads, or on a magnet!!!! Loved it!!

lelvsdgs
11-24-2007, 10:34 PM
I think we have all been there! After doing some crocheting, I could not figure out how to hold my knitting needles and yarn. I'd been knitting for over 30 years and couldn't figure out how to hold my needles...:whoosh:

Knitting_Guy
11-24-2007, 11:22 PM
Brain farts happen.

BinkyKat
11-25-2007, 02:31 AM
You had a kinit fart.
:teehee:
You can't be an idiot...because I called dibs on that title ! :thumbsup:
For projects that require a cast on of more than 20 stitches, I can never seem to pull of an appropriate amount and not have a REE-diculously long tail...
I've tried math, wrapping ten times around my needle and measuring out that length to the approximate number of total stitches...no luck. Maybe the last thing I knit before I die I'll get it. :doh:

Matdredalia
11-25-2007, 07:57 AM
Trust me, do NOT feel bad about this. I'm a newbie knitter, but I am constantly frogging rows on standard, ol' knit stitch. I'm doing a 100% garter stitch scarf, and I'll make one little mess up, and have to frog 10 rows for some reason or another.

I just keep reminding myself that I'm still learning, and will be until the day I die, and every mistake I make is just another chance to learn something new.

And, on the note of this specific "mistake" -- I found this really helpful for figuring out how to add new yarn to my current project:

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-change-yarn

I hope it can help (^-^) Good luck!

mommydearest
11-25-2007, 08:40 AM
I have similar problems everyday. Something I knew yesterday but can't remember today?!? OK, that happens even without knitting - my family thinks I have early onset crazyness but I'm not worried (yet) I can at locate my keys daily :woot: .

It took me several tries to understand how to add another color/skein of yarn. I've watched Amy's video as well as others and looked it up in my books and was still unable to add on until one day it finally "attached" to me and my knitting:yay: . A very happy day.

Don't give up just keep watching any and all videos until you find the one that helps YOU!

Mary

"Knit fart" - I like that!