PDA

View Full Version : Socks for Diabetics?

jdee
11-24-2007, 07:55 PM
I was thinking of knitting my Dad a pair of socks for Christmas, but he's diabetic, and has to wear special socks. Has anyone here knitted socks for a diabetic person? Are there any particular yarns for, patterns for, or rules associated with making diabetic socks? Is it not a good idea to knit socks for his?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

redwitch
11-24-2007, 07:56 PM
There's a good article on this in the recent Knitty!

gingerbread
11-25-2007, 07:42 AM
I make my husbands socks by using the Pure and Simple patterns. I make the Ribbing shorter because of his legs are very tender. He loves them and I use Palette from Knit Picks. I thought that it was a little scarchy but he says they really feel soft on his feet.

DorothyDot
11-25-2007, 09:49 AM
Yes, diabetics need to be particularly careful with their feet. Why? Because often, diabetic nerve damage means that if they get a blister or a cut or something, they may not feel the pain like non-diabetics. So the neglected cut gets infected. Then comes gangrene. Then comes amputation. Bad scene.

So. Any socks for diabetics MUST be as soft and non-abrasive as possible. That means no knots - in the foot portion, at least. Knots and lumps cause blisters. Same for fit - if the foot part is too large, the risk of wrinkling increases, and a wrinkle can likewise cause blisters.

Often blood supply is not optimal for diabetic feet. So warmth would be a good thing.

Hope this helps,
Dot

Miley384
11-25-2007, 11:00 AM
Okay...I did some looking and here is what I found. I hope this helps! :muah:

http://www.knitty.com/issuesummer07/FEATdiabeticfeet.html

fibrenut
11-25-2007, 12:25 PM
:knitting: Here ya go,
On this site she has sox specifically designed for diabetics with a special heel (no rubbing etc.) and a special cuff design also. Here's the link... http://web.mac.com/busyknitting/iweb/Knit%20Through%20It%21/Welcome.html
Hope this helps ya!!:guyknitting:

vaknitter
11-25-2007, 12:48 PM
Our foot and ankle clinic always advises diabetic patients that socks should be white so that should their foot get a sore and begin to bleed it will be seen through their sock. Also, the cuffs should be very loose to prevent any restrictions to circulation.
happy knitting

Limey
11-25-2007, 06:01 PM
Hi Miley and Fibrenut

Thanks so much for posting those links - it was really good of you both to have a mooch and come up with that very useful info.

Thanks too, everyone else, for contributing.

All the Best

Ellie
http://www.countonknit.com

debinoz
11-25-2007, 09:51 PM
My Mom is diabetic and she wears nothing but white socks. They're loose around the top, snug on her feet, and very soft. She recently lost part of her big toe because she stubbed it on a table leg. They did major surgery to "roto-rooter" the artery in her leg to improve circulation. I know this is probably TMI, but wanted to express how important proper care of the feet are to diabetics.

Aliann
11-26-2007, 12:35 AM
I'm glad someone has touched on the issue of people with diabetes, as I lost my mother 2 years ago to diabetes and now I'm taking care of my father who is also diabetic and an amputee. I need to learn dpn's as I would love to make him socks and a stump sock as well. Thanks again for the links and your posts.