PDA

View Full Version : Met A Fellow Knitter Tonight

Knitting_Guy
11-24-2007, 11:29 PM
I wandered over to Applebee's for a few adult beverages and some dinner. Naturally I took my knitting with me.

While I was sitting at the bar knitting a couple sat down next to me. I asked the woman if my stuff was in her way. She replied that it wasn't and that she was also a knitter.

We talked about knitting for a while. I could tell her husband was starting to get annoyed so I starting talking football with him just to get him into the conversation.

It was pretty cool talking to someone who actually understands knitting. I normally get people who know nothing about it but are interested. She actually knew I was working a cabled project instead of asking me "how do you make it look like that?"

I didn't even get the "I've never met a guy knitter" thing from her. She knows a few guy knitters and so wasn't the least puzzled by it.

Fun evening.

Jan in CA
11-24-2007, 11:32 PM
Very cool! :thumbsup:

The.Knitter
11-24-2007, 11:35 PM
Why should she be puzzled? Show me where it is written that we women have cornered the market on creating knitted items? I just bet you can't do that. Men have as much right to knit as women do. IMHO it is NOT a women's hobby, but the hobby of someone with patience, persistence and creativity enough to express themselves with their hands and brains together. Nowhere in that description does it say Male or Female! Keep on knitting and especially KIP. Educate the ignorant masses!!!

Lady Violet
11-24-2007, 11:38 PM
sweet. that was a nice break from the norm, huh? :wink:

lelvsdgs
11-24-2007, 11:39 PM
Sounds like a fun evening. I love it when I run across a fellow knitter. It doesn't happen that often but when it does it's a treat.

inkaholic
11-25-2007, 12:38 AM
I was knitting in the entrance hall of the Metropolitan museum last week and I have never had so many people at one time come up and express interest in my knitting or tell me that they knit too. One woman came up and said, "Happy knitting! I left mine at home!" and walked away. It's nice to meet knitters in regular life :) as opposed to staking out the enemy in yarn stores! Hehe, just kidding.

CountryKitty
11-25-2007, 08:25 AM
Cool! It's always nice to meet a fellow 'fiber-artist'. It's not unusual for me to ask about someone else's planned project when I see yarn in their cart, and vice vesa. In fact, it rubbed off on my daughter--when she was 2 we were shopping for some yarn and a woman in a deep green fuzzy sweater walked by. Little Britches snagged her by the crook of the elbow and announced in her little voice, "I LOVE you SWEATER!" while rubbing it with her free hand!

I was talking yarn with an elderly lady just 2 weeks ago at Hobby Lobby and it turned out we both live in the same small town. When she found out where I live, she lit up with a beautiful smile--her grandfather had settled that land!

mommydearest
11-25-2007, 08:26 AM
I agree with you all. Being creative with any type of material is for everyone. I think it's awesome for a guy to knit. Did I mention my dh can sew better than me? He is a bit short for normal pants so he hems them - the first (and only) time I hemmed them all he did was complain so I taught him how to how to use my machine and away he went. He still has questions now and then but he does such good work. He also has a whole lot more patience and can go in a straight line :teehee: .

I taught my 9 yo ds to cast on know if I can get him to knit and let the st off the left needle for the next he'll be off to learn how to purl. I taught him how to crochet as well and he has to show his 14 yo sister how to start b/cuz she forgot.

Thanks to you all for being here. YOU ALL ARE GREAT!

I take my knitting everywhere with me but sometimes I just don't get the chance to pull it out.

Matdredalia
11-25-2007, 08:58 AM
Why should she be puzzled? Show me where it is written that we women have cornered the market on creating knitted items? I just bet you can't do that. Men have as much right to knit as women do. IMHO it is NOT a women's hobby, but the hobby of someone with patience, persistence and creativity enough to express themselves with their hands and brains together. Nowhere in that description does it say Male or Female! Keep on knitting and especially KIP. Educate the ignorant masses!!!

WOOHOO!! I COMPLETELY agree with you! As a woman who has played video games my entire life, I get absolutely INFURIATED by gender stereotypes. I can not count the number of times I've heard "Wait....you play video games? You're a chick!"

After I sigh and say "Yes, I'm a girl and I play games", I usually get a rousing "That's awesome!"

However, with something like a man who knits, in my experience, it's not the same. I was chatting with a friend of mine (male) who knits, and he was talking about how he used to get the living snot beat out of him in school because he knits. The usual "fag", "queer", "sissy boy" slurs and labels accompanied said beatings, of course. It really made me sad that a young man can't even take up a hobby for fear of having his face beaten off his locker.

Heck, when I found out he knit, he expected me to laugh at him and call him a loser.

Instead, I just asked him if he could help me pick out some yarn at KnitPicks to put on my Christmas list. (^-^)

Back to the original post, though -- Knitting_Guy, I think that's AWESOME. I wish I could find some fellow knitter's around here. Unfortunately, it seems most of the knitting activity that's even remotely local is in the retirement homes. C'est la vie. Maybe I should start a Stitch 'N Bitch group.

Knitting_Guy
11-25-2007, 10:26 AM
Thanks everyone. Let's face it, male knitters are far more rare than female knitters who themselves are something of a relative rarity in this fast food and off the rack age. Male knitters KIP are probably even more rare.

I would imagine that there are some female knitters who go their entire lives without ever knowingly meeting a male knitter.

I once had a woman ask "Oh, do you also watch Opra"? The look in my eyes was enough to make her start back peddaling immediately :rofl:

Some people do love their stereotypes. It's much easier than actually getting to know people as individuals I guess.

knitncook
11-25-2007, 10:44 AM
How fun!! It's like when I run into another homeschooler and we can "talk shop" rather than "give lessons." What a nice surprise!

dustinac
11-25-2007, 10:56 AM
:woot: that's great!!

Kime
11-25-2007, 12:25 PM
My 11 year old son is crocheting a scarf for his 18 year old brother for Christmas. I taught him to crochet first because I think it is easier to learn to handle the tension with crochet and I have him hold the yarn in the left hand the same way I do for knitting so it will be easier for him to learn continental knitting. I taught my daughter to knit years ago when she was about 11 and she almost finished a shirt, but she never really wanted to learn and stopped as soon as I quite making her do it. My son is much more interested.

hainangel2000
11-25-2007, 01:39 PM
Mason I visited your blog and enjoyed reading some of the posts :) My mom was a long haul truck driver. She was considered one of the best truck drivers for the company she worked for. It was neat. Plus I have been on the raod a few times myself. Not driving the truck but enjoying the ride! Just wanted to say hi :)
By the way my son Justen is 16 and knits and my other sons will knit when they are old enough to learn. They are already taking interest. I think its great that men knit! One of our best volunteers on our charities forum knits and he is in his 80's. The beautiful work this man does makes me jealious lolol I appreciate your posts here and will be sure to add your blogs to my favorite list!!!

Mary

stirsmommy
11-25-2007, 01:41 PM
How fun!! It's like when I run into another homeschooler and we can "talk shop" rather than "give lessons." What a nice surprise!

Exactly! My mil has driven me nuts with knitting questions this week. Probably because I knit for peace and boy have I needed it this week. I enjoyed the trip to my lys just to see some fellow knitters that I didn't have to explain what or why I was doing what I was. I haven't met any fellow homeschoolers up here. So I am always explaining.

ecb
11-25-2007, 07:08 PM
at the Craft Fair I was a fairly agressive seller by asking people who walked by 'do you Knit?" Men, Women, Kids, I asked em all. One old guy told me he used to but did not remember how to do all the neat stuff anymore. I offered to meet him at a gas station/corner store/quick food shop local to the place the fair was in, and re-teach him how to knit, I even offered to teach his wife to knit too. had a couple eople try to tell me that knitting is a lost art these day, I smiled and replied that I loved being lost in this kind of art.
By the end of the craft Fair I had offered to re-teach knitting to 3 or 4 retired folks in the town I live in, and to drive 2 to knitting groups,on senior, and one a young mother (good thing I kno a few diff knitting groups)

ecb

Knitting_Guy
11-25-2007, 07:11 PM
at the Craft Fair I was a fairly agressive seller by asking people who walked by 'do you Knit?" Men, Women, Kids, I asked em all. One old guy told me he used to but did not remember how to do all the neat stuff anymore. I offered to meet him at a gas station/corner store/quick food shop local to the place the fair was in, and re-teach him how to knit, I even offered to teach his wife to knit too. had a couple eople try to tell me that knitting is a lost art these day, I smiled and replied that I loved being lost in this kind of art.
By the end of the craft Fair I had offered to re-teach knitting to 3 or 4 retired folks in the town I live in, and to drive 2 to knitting groups,on senior, and one a young mother (good thing I kno a few diff knitting groups)

ecb

That's very cool. Lost art eh? Then how did I happen to find it?

Doublereeder2
11-25-2007, 07:16 PM
That's very cool. Lost art eh? Then how did I happen to find it?

Probably because you were looking for it :wink: with an open mind and heart.

The.Knitter
11-25-2007, 07:17 PM
in the Lost and Found????

Knitting_Guy
11-25-2007, 07:18 PM
in the Lost and Found????

:roflhard::roflhard:

inkaholic
11-25-2007, 07:34 PM
my 8 year old brother is always playing with any knitting needles and yarn that I happen to leave around. I figured he was just being a typical little boy (read: annoying) when one day, when nobody else was home and I was knitting, he sidled up to me and whispered "I'll KILL you if you tell anybody, but I kinda wanna learn to do that."
Haven't started teaching yet, but it made me a little sad that he was so afraid of what others think...happy, though, that I might soon "convert" someone else!

Knitting_Guy
11-25-2007, 07:40 PM
my 8 year old brother is always playing with any knitting needles and yarn that I happen to leave around. I figured he was just being a typical little boy (read: annoying) when one day, when nobody else was home and I was knitting, he sidled up to me and whispered "I'll KILL you if you tell anybody, but I kinda wanna learn to do that."
Haven't started teaching yet, but it made me a little sad that he was so afraid of what others think...happy, though, that I might soon "convert" someone else!

Sadly, the stereotypes are learned at an early age. Just let him know that a big burly bearded knitting trucker says that a real man does what he enjoys and couldn't care less what anyone else thinks about it.

angel4ever
11-25-2007, 07:45 PM
Hi Inkaholic! I see that you are from Jersey City, NJ. So am I! I've been in JC nearly my entire life except for the three years that I lived in Bayonne. Glad to see a fellow JC knitter! :)

Knitting_Guy
11-25-2007, 07:48 PM
I stay out of Bayonne. The last time I was there some nutcases flew some planes into the WTC.

angel4ever
11-25-2007, 07:53 PM
I stay out of Bayonne. The last time I was there some nutcases flew some planes into the WTC.

I know, I actually missed being in the WTC that day by 25-30min. I used to work in Brooklyn at that time and I would have to take the PATH to the WTC stop then take the A train into Brooklyn. It was scary because I had intended to go to work late that morning because I had gone to a concert the night before. However, something made me keep to my regular morning schedule that day. I'm glad that I did!

Knitting_Guy
11-25-2007, 07:57 PM
I know, I actually missed being in the WTC that day by 25-30min. I used to work in Brooklyn at that time and I would have to take the PATH to the WTC stop then take the A train into Brooklyn. It was scary because I had intended to go to work late that morning because I had gone to a concert the night before. However, something made me keep to my regular morning schedule that day. I'm glad that I did!

I'm also glad that you did. I'll never forget that day or those following. I was involved with hauling away the debris from that mess.

ecb
11-25-2007, 08:26 PM
My youngest daughter has a friend in school that wants to re-learn knitting. He was working the table next to me at the air this past weekend
I was a a town meeting, knitting away, and he told me he knew how to knit and liked it. Then his mother told me she has taught him ever craft he has asked to learn how to do. I sent him ne of thoe sets of 8" Circs so he can make wristers, but he sent themhome a ew days later. at the craft fair I gave him a copy of "Knitting with Balls" and another 16" set of Cics (size 11) to make hats with. I also plan to 'lend' him a kitting toys book. He really LOVES knitting, its so gratifying for him. I told him (and his mother) about my 'big burly truck driver' knitting friend he thought that was GREAT (his Dad drives trucks)
I am looking forward to teaching him to knit anything, he could be doing socks in a month or two. He just needs to understand th basics then learn to read patterns

ecb
Sadly, the stereotypes are learned at an early age. Just let him know that a big burly bearded knitting trucker says that a real man does what he enjoys and couldn't care less what anyone else thinks about it.

inkaholic
11-25-2007, 09:31 PM
I was in Hoboken on 9/11...it was absolutely terrible, I watched the planes hit from the windows of my math class and we felt the towers fall, the ground shaking and everything.
angel4ever: I actually live in Bayonne, but because I don't spend any real time here other than sleeping, I just list my location as Jersey City, which is where my school is and most of my friends and my family are. Knitting_guy: Staying out of Bayonne is a good policy ;)

Knitting_Guy
11-25-2007, 09:32 PM
Staying out of Bayonne is a good policy ;)

:roflhard:

ready2knit
11-25-2007, 10:28 PM
I also recommend staying out of Des Moines........

Jana

Knitting_Guy
11-25-2007, 10:30 PM

Jana

:rofl:

Des Moines isn't so bad.

CountryKitty
11-25-2007, 11:01 PM
Waco is a good one to avoid too, just on general principles...

Knitting_Guy
11-25-2007, 11:02 PM
Waco is a good one to avoid too, just on general principles...

Aw, I've spent plenty of time in Waco. Except for a couple of fights with some drunken cowboys it's not such a bad place.

ecb
11-25-2007, 11:45 PM

Jana
Most parts of Maine are VERY nice
if you have questions just ask me
I Promise tanswer as best I can

ecb

Knitting_Guy
11-25-2007, 11:58 PM
Most parts of Maine are VERY nice
if you have questions just ask me
I Promise tanswer as best I can

ecb

I've had a few good times in Maine.

Well, except for that one really BIG female bouncer in that one bar who got kinda sweet on me that night.

Oh yeah, and hitting that moose kinda sucked too. :rofl:

Dangles
11-26-2007, 03:47 AM
Oh Mason, how I love reading your threads :)

Sharly
11-26-2007, 01:22 PM
Hi Mason! Come to Eclectic! It's a great place!! :)

CountryKitty
11-26-2007, 03:30 PM
Aw, I've spent plenty of time in Waco. Except for a couple of fights with some drunken cowboys it's not such a bad place.

One of those drunken cowboys---the blond one who thought he was God's gift to the world, that his truck was the baddest thing around, and that he could kick any trucker's @$$ in 3 minutes flat---
was my first boyfriend.

:wall:

I try to stay out of Waco.

Knitting_Guy
11-28-2007, 07:25 PM
One of those drunken cowboys---the blond one who thought he was God's gift to the world, that his truck was the baddest thing around, and that he could kick any trucker's @$$ in 3 minutes flat---
was my first boyfriend.

:wall:

I try to stay out of Waco.

:rofl:

I don't think I've ever been in a fight that lasted for three minutes.

CountryKitty
11-28-2007, 07:29 PM
Yep, that sounds like him alright!

Arielluria
11-28-2007, 07:35 PM
How very cool Mason! I have never met a knitter while knitting out in public..........oh and I REALLY admire you for doing it as a guy, I'm sure it takes guts.
:cheering:

Lady Violet
11-28-2007, 07:36 PM
Thanks everyone. Let's face it, male knitters are far more rare than female knitters who themselves are something of a relative rarity in this fast food and off the rack age. Male knitters KIP are probably even more rare.

I would imagine that there are some female knitters who go their entire lives without ever knowingly meeting a male knitter.

I once had a woman ask "Oh, do you also watch Opra"? The look in my eyes was enough to make her start back peddaling immediately :rofl:

Some people do love their stereotypes. It's much easier than actually getting to know people as individuals I guess.

mason, don't you know you're supposed to KIP at the opera? :teehee:

Knitting_Guy
11-28-2007, 07:38 PM
mason, don't you know you're supposed to KIP at the opera? :teehee:

Only if I can take my MP3 player :rofl: