PDA

View Full Version : Everyone Please Read This!

Miley384
11-25-2007, 11:35 AM
It's that time of year again! The weather is turning cold outside. (Well, for most of us anyway.) And we are getting closer to the holidays. We are so fortunate to be able to live with a roof over our heads, and good food to eat. But what about the less fortunate? We cant forget about them! Okay. I am happy to present to you, (drumroll please!)....samaritans purse! What is this? okay I will explain this.

1)Shoe Box
Use an empty shoe box (standard size, please) or a small plastic container. You can wrap the box (lid separately), but wrapping is not required.

2)BOY OR GIRL?
Determine whether your gift will be for a boy or a girl, and the child's age category: 2-4, 5-9, or 10-14. Print out the appropriate boy/girl label shown below. Mark the correct age category on the label, and tape the label to the top of your box.

3)Fill With Gifts
Fill the box with a variety of gifts that will bring delight to a child.

PLEASE CONSIDER DOING THIS! It is enexpensive, and the best part is, you can knit items to put in your box too! Here is an easy hat pattern you could put in. http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/bevsbasichat.html

IF YOU WANT TO LEARN MORE, PLEASE FOLLOW THIS LINK. If you have any questions, let me know.
http://www.samaritanspurse.org/OCC_PackAShoeBox.asp?OCCPath=1

Thanks! And Happy Holidays!

GiddyKnitter
11-25-2007, 11:39 AM
Hi Miley

We do this over here in England through schools and also do a secret Santa where you wrap up a gift and take it to one of the large department stores where all the gifts are then collected and distributed the the less fortunate x

Miley384
11-25-2007, 11:40 AM
Sweet! We used to do it at my school!

KnittinKnots
12-03-2007, 10:33 AM
Hurray for reminding everyone about the shoebox project. Our youth group last year (for the first time) packed 450 boxes. The kids were thrilled. People from the church donated all the goodies. Their goal this year was 650.

Well, needless to say everyone was stressing to see if they could meet that goal (drumroll.....) they actually packed over 1,000 boxes this year. The cool part was the pastor had them brought up on stage for the congregation to see and then we prayed over the boxes and the children who would be receiving them. It is really a neat way for our youth to connect and realize that there are others in this world that are much less fortunate than they are. It is definitely a worthwhile project. I have already started buying stuff for next year's project. I am already looking forward to see what our kids will do! Merry Christmas!