PDA

View Full Version : New and need help with ideas for children's gifts for Christmas, please!!!

chie96
11-25-2007, 02:27 PM
...or Is it possible for a new knitter to make all of this by Christmas? :roflhard:

Good afternoon! I am in a bit of a pickle and wondered if some of you who have knitted longer than I (just 2 mos) can chime in with your thoughts.

This year we are a bit strapped for Christmas. Usually we just charge everything and pay it off a tax-time, but this year we are committed to not charging a single item. I recently took up knitting and so far have made scarves for my parents. I still have two scarves to make, for my MIL and my biological mother, but they are fast and I could be done within a week if I try. I am also trying to learn how to crochet Granny Squares so that I can make my husband the Afghan Squared (http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/70129AD.html?noImages=0)on the Lion site.

So, with that in mind, what could I possibly make for two nephews (1 and 3) and a niece (3) in time for Christmas? Maybe nothing, LOL! I thought about scarves. Simple enough, but I think I'd really like to make hats and mittens to match, and if I am going to do that there won't be enough time. Maybe "just" a scarf is enough, though? Then I thought about a doll or toy of some sort, but not sure that I am that far along in my skills yet.

What do you think? Is it possible to make them something by Christmas, or should I scrap it for this year and concentrate on next year? FWIW I am an at-home mom and can knit for several (2-3) hours each day, but also homeschool which takes a lot of my time.

Thanks for any thoughts!!! And for anyone who gets this far, check out this ADORABLE scarf (http://funknitsforkids.com/files/60194-52817/Fiery_Dragon_Scarf.pdf)that I am making my nephews for next Christmas!

miccisue
11-25-2007, 02:50 PM
Go to Bev's Country Cottage site - there are tons of free patterns there, and you may find something besides clothing to make. I think there are some real simple patterns for stuffed animals like teddy bears and such. I would think at 1 and 3, they'd still be in the "stuffed animal cuddle" stage. Heck, I slept with a stuffed animal until I got into my teens :aww:

Good luck, and let me know if you find anything that interests you there - I've found lots of stuff on that site!!!!!!!!!

cftwo
11-25-2007, 02:54 PM
It might be ambitious to knit for everyone this year in just a month. You can try. But, as a backup plan, I'll pass along the advice from my sisters: little kids don't know the difference between expensive toys and toys from the Dollar Tree, and the toys break just as quickly no matter where you buy them. Just in case.

In the meantime, check out these free patterns for knitted toys which you might have fun with: http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/toys.php (the any yarn quick knit teddy bear looked interesting). I've also made hats for my younger nieces and nephews. Here's the page for children's hats http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/hats_childrens.php and babies hats http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/baby_hats.php

I hope one of these links helps with ideas.

divagirl
11-25-2007, 03:49 PM
I agree with cftwo about the toys - Knitting Daily has toy patterns too. Good for you not using the plastic!

Knitting_Guy
11-25-2007, 04:12 PM
Sounds like it would be an aweful lot of knitting for a seasoned knitter, let alone rookies like us. I wouldn't even think of it. Biting off more than you can chew can only lead to frustration.

I plan on starting next year's Christmas knitting soon so as to allow myself plenty of time to get it all done. SHould keep me busy all of next year :rofl:

Knitting_Guy
11-25-2007, 04:21 PM
Pretty rude to spam up someone's thread. Especially when you've already posted the exact same thing in your own thread.

Chikky
11-25-2007, 04:39 PM
Pretty rude to spam up someone's thread. Especially when you've already posted the exact same thing in your own thread.

Darnit, ya know... I totally forgot I wasn't a mod on this site (I only frequent two sites regularly, this being one of them and the other not a knitting one, where I've modded for years now) and I totally confused myself when I went to fix it after you said that, hehe.

Knitting_Guy
11-25-2007, 04:46 PM
Darnit, ya know... I totally forgot I wasn't a mod on this site (I only frequent two sites regularly, this being one of them and the other not a knitting one, where I've modded for years now) and I totally confused myself when I went to fix it after you said that, hehe.

:roflhard:

Miley384
11-25-2007, 04:57 PM
What's so bad about saying something important? Sheesh. I am not "spamming" up her thread because I gave her a link to a pattern. So go ahead and talk bad about me because I won't be having any part of it. :yadda:

Miley384
11-25-2007, 05:01 PM
Oh, and if I was a moderator I would kick both of you off because of insulting people. This site is about learning and helping people. Insulting people is just rude and immature.:wall: Like this little smiley? Thought you might.

chie96
11-25-2007, 06:50 PM
TY, everyone! To those of you who suggested it might be a bit ambitious - I agree. I guess I needed someone to say that it's perfectly OK to not knit something for every single person on my list this year, just because I learned to knit! Next year will be different, as I will truly start in Jan. and just knit all year (I love it sooooo much)!
Merry Christmas, everyone - and thanks for the reality check!

Knitting_Guy
11-25-2007, 06:54 PM
TY, everyone! To those of you who suggested it might be a bit ambitious - I agree. I guess I needed someone to say that it's perfectly OK to not knit something for every single person on my list this year, just because I learned to knit! Next year will be different, as I will truly start in Jan. and just knit all year (I love it sooooo much)!
Merry Christmas, everyone - and thanks for the reality check!

Just think, that'll make the few gifts you do knit this year that much more special. :mrgreen:

Chikky
11-25-2007, 06:55 PM
Oh, and if I was a moderator I would kick both of you off because of insulting people. This site is about learning and helping people. Insulting people is just rude and immature.:wall: Like this little smiley? Thought you might.

I didn't do anything. I just relayed what I thought was a funny little happening.

Knitting_Guy
11-25-2007, 06:55 PM
I didn't do anything. I just relayed what I thought was a funny little happening.

Don't sweat it, just a childish tirade.

myrnapap
11-25-2007, 07:04 PM
I think it's great to get and to make hand-made gifts. I saved the knitted gifts I got for my kids and I've given many of them to my daughter for our granddaughter! That said, here's a suggestion: how about figuring out the kids' favorite character and knitting a quick hat in the colors of that character (like Hello Kitty is light pink) and then getting a very small thing with that character on it. It can be something to wear or not. Also, many kids have too many toys. How about books? Borders has many really good and still inexpensive books for kids. I hope my opinions help!

Knitting_Guy
11-25-2007, 07:09 PM
I agree about the hand made gifts. To me they are always far more special and meaningful than those merely purchased.

Jan in CA
11-25-2007, 08:53 PM
I'm not going to delete anything at this point, but let's let the bad stuff go now and move on to the original topic. Thanks. :hug:

knitncook
11-26-2007, 02:23 AM
One thing you might consider is to "upscale" your yarn. You could make some really cute quick hats using Wool-Ease thick & Quick or Chunky yarn. It's a nice acrylic/wool blend that is washable (moms love that part) and it knits up very fast. The Animal Crackers hat from Charmed Knits uses a heavy yarn and I knit 4 of those hats in a matter of a single day. It's simple colorwork. I think the hardest part (for me at least) is braiding the "tails" because braiding is harder on my hands than knitting.