PDA

View Full Version : Mixing machine wash & hand wash

mommydearest
11-25-2007, 04:56 PM
Would it be a real bad thing to knit a dishcloth using one machine wash acrylic yarn and a hand wash acrylic/polyester yarn? I would hate to do one only to have it not be useable upon finishing.

I'd be grateful for any help.

Thanks

Mary

Ingrid
11-25-2007, 09:16 PM
:think: I think it might depend on why the hand-wash yarn is supposed to be washed that way. If it was wool, it's obvious, but sometimes even clothing will say hand wash yet it washes up fine in the machine.

I'd do a little swatch with the hand-wash yarn and see what happens to it in the wash. :shrug:

mommydearest
11-25-2007, 10:12 PM
I'll do what you suggested and knit a swatch and wash it in the morning to see what happens. If it comes out ok (not too much change) I'll go ahead and do a dishcloth.

Thank you for your reply.

Mary

knitgal
11-25-2007, 11:33 PM
Don't worry about it too much- It's just a dishcloth, even if you screw it up, it's still usable!

hocns
11-26-2007, 11:16 AM
IMO you should only use cotton for dishcloths. Otherwise it's like washing with a plastic bag.

suzeeq
11-26-2007, 11:54 AM
Yes, the acrylic isn't very absorbable and it may not work so well for dishes.

mommydearest
11-26-2007, 05:07 PM
I guess I never thought about the absobancy issue and softness, I just thought about machine wash & dry.

I did wash my swatch and there wasn't any shrinkage although because it was kind of a sparkly yarn it lost some of its luster.

I'll have to use the yarn for something else. Any suggestions?

Maybe placemats wouldn't be too bad since they wouldn't get used too often and if they did they wouldn't need to washed too often.

Mary

Shandeh
11-27-2007, 04:55 PM
I love to use acrylic for a washcloth, because it's GREAT for scrubbing!

mommydearest
11-27-2007, 09:26 PM
Shandeh - thank you for your answer, it makes me feel sooooo much better. I really thought I had wasted all that time and effort into nothing, although I would have still given them as gifts anyway (hotpads). I did purchase cotton yarn at Joann's yesterday and started a new dishcloth, s/b done tonight so I can start another tomorrow. I can definately feel the difference between the cotton and acrylic.

:muah: I am very grateful to everyone for your replies. I will repeat myself and say I AM SOOO GLAD I FOUND THIS SITE!

Mary

Shandeh
11-28-2007, 01:08 AM
:wink:

Pat in Ca
11-29-2007, 01:25 PM
Art Lady has a pattern for dishcloths done in Lion Brand Microspun
yarn doubled with 10 1/2 needles..I made a few, she also made a blanket with microspun.. a really pretty basketweave pattern..the discloth washed up better than sugar and cream... and works well as a washcloth...