PDA

View Full Version : socks

susi
11-26-2007, 06:08 AM
hi

i have decided that i want to knit my son some socks for the winter.

he's a european shoe size 28. does anyone know an easy pattern to learn on please?

the idea for the socks is so that he can wear them over the top of his veryday cotton socks over his trouser legs (i have horses so the idea is to keep in his legs warmer when he's outside so much).

i have a pattern that i started to follow to make myself some socks last year, i was absolutly fine with the dpn's, i haven't tried turning the heal's yet, but i am sure with lots of practise i will get it, she says hehe.

also, i was looking at sock yarn online, it said it was 100% wool, does that mean any heavier weight wool would be fine? reason asking is because i have about 1000 grams of wool sitting theer doing nothing, its not soft enough to use as a jumper or anything close to any part of the skin.

any ideas greatfully recieved

susi

zkimom
11-26-2007, 08:42 AM
This is a good place to start learning how to make socks:

Silver's Sock Tutorial (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/)

dustinac
11-26-2007, 10:20 AM
You can make the socks out of a heavier weight...I've made my dad, dh, and fil 100% wool socks out of a worsted weight...Silver's Tutorial is great to get you started... :happydance:

susi
11-26-2007, 01:52 PM
thank yo so much. its going to cut the price back a bit with the socks if i can easily use the yarn i already have. it also uses the stuff up.

i am going to have a good look thorugh the tutorial tonight so i can get the right dpn's on order, i have some but they were what i had left to me by my gran when she died and i have no idea what size they are.

i lve buying new knitting things, i never get to buy new stuff lol

thanks again

susi

Stasi74
11-26-2007, 02:41 PM
here is one more great site that I learned to knit socks off of:
http://www.royea.net/sock.html
hope this helps

Stasi

Abbily
11-26-2007, 03:33 PM
i am going to have a good look thorugh the tutorial tonight so i can get the right dpn's on order, i have some but they were what i had left to me by my gran when she died and i have no idea what size they are.

You might buy a needle sizer first before you buy new needles- it has holes labeled with the different needle sizes, so you can figure out what sizes your needles are.

susi
11-26-2007, 05:17 PM
You might buy a needle sizer first before you buy new needles- it has holes labeled with the different needle sizes, so you can figure out what sizes your needles are.
i didn't know you could get a needle sizer. wow how sensible. i will definatly be investing in one of those as well. especailly now i have descovered a knitting shop only 30 mins from my house. makes it easier when you can see what you are buying and ask advise etc.

i think that the needles ihave will be to big, they feel about 4mm, so i guess to large for what i will want. but hey i'm guessing, what do i know about knitting socks lol
thanks again, i really do appreciate it
susi

inkaholic
11-26-2007, 06:41 PM
I just got a needle sizer for $2 at wal-mart the other day :D it's sooo helpful, and it even has a stitch thingy on the bottom to help calculate the gauge of the yarn.

susi
11-26-2007, 06:44 PM
i live in france, ven though walmart own a supermarket in england they don't sell the same things (i think lol).

i am going to town on monday i will be looking at buying one then, it seems such a sensible hing to have in the kit.

susi