PDA

View Full Version : I am cursed. I CANNOT unwind a skein of yarn....

boo1
11-26-2007, 10:09 AM
From now on, I will only buy it in hanks or balls. NO MORE SKEINS.

I brought some cheap-o yarn to work with at lunch (I knew if I brought the Touch Me yarn, I'd never get back to work, I'd just keep fondling it), and decided to wind aforementioned cheap yarn into a ball. What I am left with is a big mess.

Sigh. Now what will I do? I'm having withdrawals!

Knitting_Guy
11-26-2007, 10:11 AM
Yeah some skeins do seem to be wound pretty badly. If it's a center pull skein I just work it directly from the skein, otherwise I just pull it apart and sort it as I wind.

It can be pretty frustrating.

boo1
11-26-2007, 10:30 AM
:pout:

ecb
11-26-2007, 10:42 AM
:teehee: Move to Maine, and call ME :woot:
I get very ODD about untangling messes, one day in my LYS I worked with another customer in the store to untangle some lace weight yarn that was whispy and lovely (an INSANELY hard to untangle).
This other woman and I worked for over an hour. we both felt we had gotten very little done, but we worked well together, and the yarn was SO FINE and the ball was as big as a clementine orange when we were done.

vaknitter
11-26-2007, 11:40 AM
You are not alone. I too refuse to use skeins of yarn (unless of course they were given to me and then really, how do you refuse free yarn) and only buy hanks that I can put on my handy dandy swift and ball winder (b-day present from hubby). My mother on the other hand won't give up on skeins...she loves them and doesn't even mind picking over the mess of unwinding them...

knitncook
11-26-2007, 12:11 PM
I do buy some skeins, but lately I've been getting mostly hanks. It's the yarn vomits that skeins tend to do that I find most annoying. :zombie:

alleusion
11-26-2007, 12:36 PM
teeheehee yarn vomits

I'm generally pretty lucky about finding the other end of the yarn in the middle of the skein. A few times I've had it vomit up half the skein, but not often.

CountryKitty
11-26-2007, 12:57 PM
LOL, I LOVE yarn vomit!

Oh, D@mn, look at all this that came out--oh, well, I'll just have to sit here and knit all this portion up right now, 'cause if I don't it'll all be one huge tangle in no time flat...

Any excuse for an addict to get her fix!

cftwo
11-26-2007, 02:59 PM
I had to deal with a big mess of yarn vomit this weekend - AFTER I had found the end of the center pull and had made up a good bit. It took me a very long time to fix that mess of knots.

suzeeq
11-26-2007, 03:04 PM
I must be lucky; when my yarn comes out all in a lump, it's very seldom knotted or tangled up. I just either knit it up, or make a butterfly skein and stuff it back in to keep it out of the way until I get there.

sinistral_needler
11-26-2007, 03:46 PM
Just look at the massive chunk of yarn vomit and view it as a chance to acheive some 'transcendental meditation' while untangling it all. I just use the time to pray.

inkaholic
11-26-2007, 06:26 PM
I bought some yarn this past weekend and my boyfriend helped me untangle the 'yarn vomit' that was really horrible in one of the skeins for almost 2 1/2 hours while we watched a movie (and I didn't even ask him, he just took pity on me, haha). After we were done, he sighed and said, "You're lucky I love you so much...because right now, I really, really hate yarn." :aww:

chrislt8
11-26-2007, 07:05 PM
I buy the skeins and then rewind them from the outside into center pull cakes on my ball winder - haven't had too much problem with tangles/knots doing this. Never try to find the center pull on them since the disaster of my first skein - too much aggravation for me! ;)

Doublereeder2
11-27-2007, 10:40 AM
I just take the yarn from the outside of the skein. No muss, no fuss. And lots of times, when I wind yarn with the ball winder, I still use the yarn from the outside. Call me crazy, but for me, it keeps it neat. No yarn clumps, no collapsing balls.....