PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Knitting

lilchem
11-26-2007, 10:36 AM
Now that there is less than a month until Christmas, I just wondered how everybody's Christmas gift knitting is coming along. I have a pair of fetching, one and a half (neverending) scarves, and an i-cord handle of a purse left to knit. Of course, if I get all of that finished, I will likely add some more quick knits for others. It feels as though I won't ever finish...anyone else in the same boat? Does anyone have any ideas for how to stay motivated and finish on time? All I can say to encourage others is to keep on :knitting:!

JamOKnit
11-26-2007, 10:52 AM
I spent most of yesterday parked in front of the TV knitting furiously. I finished one clog of three pairs I have to finish before Christmas...yikes! And I'm planning on making a scarf or two as well. If I can make it by the 25th, it will be a miracle! I think I am going to wait and felt the clogs after I've given them, to save time and also to ensure a proper fit.
I'm excited to have so much knitting to do but I'm afraid I won't make the deadline! :)

bethany
11-26-2007, 11:02 AM
ugh! Me too. I have another leg and waist band to do, putting off the pockets until later, a bulky sweater that (!?) shouldn't take too long and i-cord purse handles too. I want also to make little ornaments of yarn balls and toothpicks as the needles and soap sweaters. Maybe a coffee cup sling....oh and!.... :)

Lisa R.
11-26-2007, 11:17 AM
It's interesting. I'm a new enough, and slow enough knitter that I wasn't about to get into the rush-to-get-it-done-before-Christmas trap. I'm doing some mini-stocking ornaments to give as gifts or part of gift packaging, and have one or two left to do..those are a matter of an afternoon's knitting, and not a big deal.

I got my mom and my MIL's scarves done back in early October, and figured that would be sufficient. But my 10yo wanted to do fuzzy feet (http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter02/PATTfuzzyfeet.html)for my FIL, and as it was her first sock-like project, she had a bit of trouble. After a few tears and a reminder of all she learned, even if the final product wasn't what she wanted (and reminding her of my "gargantua hat" that was my first hat attempt!), we've agreed to work together, with her knitting one and me knitting the other one at the same time, so I can help her along.

And I have one hat to finish. So, I"m not exactly in a panic, but I'm finding I need to spend more time finish up gifts than I had planned. Still...it's a great excuse to get in more knitting!

knitgal
11-26-2007, 11:32 AM
I wasn't going to do any Christmas knitting this year because I knew I would be stressed out with school work around this time. Well, my DBF's mom asked me to knit his grandma a blanket and I couldn't really refuse!
I have about 25 inches done on the blanket, and I can finally see the light! It's supposed to be about 60 inches, so I'm almost half finished. I got a lot done this weekend and I think I'll be able to get it done for Christmas.
I made a blanket for my mom in September, but it was one of those knit on size 50 needles, so it only took a day to make. I should have done one of those for the DBF's nanny too!

merryknitter
11-26-2007, 11:41 AM
A snow day? Yes, I teach Music and am doing the music for the Christmas Drama...can I order a snow day, so I can sit and knit...LOL?

Well, I have 2 shawls to finish...my Mom's is nearly done...can definitely see me finishing it this week...I hope! My sister's is about half way done...it's a little more tedious and requires alot of attention!

The problem is, that I need to do my Christmas Decorating, which is alot...I put up a beautiful snow village in my bay window and we do outside lights too. Hubby is on vacation this week, so we should get alot done...that's my goal!

I really want to knit some Christmas dishcloths for everyone, but am holding off, until I get these shawls done.

I did finish my granddaughter's sweater and I'm really happy with it!

Happy Knitting!

debinoz
11-26-2007, 11:41 AM
I started out with 24 people to knit for..... I have 3.5 left. (I started in July!) Thank goodness a couple of them are just quick hat and scarf sets. It's that darn dress for my new great neice that I'm worrying about finishing in time. As much as I love to knit, I think next year I'll hit the dollar store for most of my gifts! It's definately not as stressfull!

GiddyKnitter
11-26-2007, 11:45 AM
I have one sock ... 2/3rds of a toddler sweater and one christmas stocking oh and two scarves when the yarn arrives!! Dont think I will make it do you?

vaknitter
11-26-2007, 11:50 AM
Well- I find as Christmas gets closer I am taking things off the list to be knit. The biggest thing I need to get done is clogs for the niece & nephew and will have them felt them. I want desperately to do something for my father, but he really doesn't seem into new things. He's got his old Navy watchcap (for which there is no substitute) and his old wool scarf and long since discontinued LL Bean mittens. Maybe I can try to make a replacement scarf and rib it to look manly man and make it navy blue and gold....

msoebel
11-26-2007, 12:24 PM
As Christmas gets closer, I keep adding things to my list. I am such a dummy! I guess I just got cocky after finished an afghan, five booga bags, a water bottle bag (designed as I went along) and a fair isle hat.

I made my dd the fish scarf I thought she wanted, only to overhear her telling her little friend that her mommy was making her a fish BLANKET for Christmas. I double checked and reminded her that she had asked for a scarf and she confidently replied "But I told SANTA at the mall I changed my mind, mommy.!!!!" (Oh, to be 4 again!) And dh asked me to make gifts for the volunteers who help us in our youth group. He wants 7 little knitted sacks and then he wants me to put in little baggies of "my" gourmet hot cocoa mixes.

And I am making a knitten for my new niece who needs something special for her first Christmas...so she's getting a little pink kitty that will be just the right size for a 4 month old to love.

I have taken off the table: Two more booga bags and a sweater for dd. I still fully intend to knit them...but not before Christmas.

Misty

divagirl
11-26-2007, 12:35 PM
On of the girls who works at the LYS had all of her Christmas knitting done by Sept. I am SO wishing I was her. I have been determined to knit for the tweens in the family b/c they can be hard to shop for and I always feel like gift certificates are cheating. Welll, they might be getting GC's anyway. The only things I am absolutely going to do are a sweater for my MIL (back and sleeve done), an afghan for my dad (2 strips done, just starting the third) and a vest for DS (back done). After that I will play it by ear. The worst part? I keep seeing patterns I want to make and I am thoroughly delusional about the time it will take to make them in!

Debkcs
11-26-2007, 12:39 PM
I love you people! Here I thought it was just me who had bit off more yarn than I could knit, but no, there are others out there also. Katie's poncho became a sweater when the gauge wouldn't work out right. My DS mentioned in an off hand manner that the new gloves the Army is issuing don't require a second set of gloves inside them, and my DH changed his mind, he wants me to make him a new bath robe now that I have a sewing machine again. Still on the list, the rest of the sweater, a pair of socks for a friend, and a hot cup holder for my DS's morning coffee.

Hope you all get the snow days or time to sit that you need to get everything done!

Jax3303
11-26-2007, 12:51 PM
I only have one gift that is completely finished. All of the others are started at least. I have an afghan that is almost finished, I just need to knit the border for it. I have a baby sweater that is about 90% finished, a toddler cardigan that is about 30% finished, another toddler cardigan that is 10% done, and 1/5th of a sock for a pair of Monkey Socks left to do. the two toddler cardigans are both being done with bulky yarn and big needles, so they wont take long, and the monkey socks are really easy and I can probably finish the socks in one evening of TV watching if I'm determined. What I have left to do seems like a lot more than it really is. Everyone else on my gift giving list will get a goodie basket from me. Im making pumpkin bread, banana nut bread, chocolates, and cookies to put in them.

Sanibelle
11-26-2007, 12:54 PM
I have a bunch done - mainly hats and scarves. I still have a bunch more to go and I want to make 3 pairs of clogs.

I made a Pidge over the weekend. It turned out great and I made it in just one day. I decided to keep this one for me and I wore it to work today and have gotten so many compliments on it. Since they go so fast, I have decided to make more of these as Christmas gifts.

Here is a link to info on the Pidge
http://www.3feapparel.com/pageAbout.html

On Ravelry they are calling it the Smidge and there are a number of patterns and ideas that people came up with the reproduce them. There is a group called Smidge Along. I did mine in the doubleknit version (I had never done it before - VERY EASY!!!) and I love the way it turned out - it is so thick and warm. I used Misty Alpaca chunky on a size 10.5 needle. If anyone is interested in the pattern I used just PM me.

Jints
11-27-2007, 02:49 AM
I'm nearly done. Blankets for 3 siblings and their families. Finishing the last of the 3 now. How a family of 4 or 5 share one blanket I'm not sure but that is not a major worry. I used Bulky weight yarn so they work up fairly quick.
1 x ArcticThrow (http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/arctic/arctic.html)
1 x Squares (http://www.gallentine.org/Knitting/Squareslaprobe.html) lap rug, I'm hoping blocking will flatten it out.
1 x My own, with this Arrowhead (http://cache.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/faq-search.cgi?store=/stores/eyarn&faqKey=288) stitch
Then I can get back to the Soften Your Mornings sampler blanket I'm doing for me.
Happy Knitting:cheering:

starburst
11-27-2007, 06:10 AM
I have 2 penguins, 6 bowling pins, and one bowling ball left to knit as well as 60,000 words to transcribe, 3 finals, 1 presentation, and 2 college applications

I'm doomed.

WandaT
11-27-2007, 07:54 AM
I tend to always bite off more than I can chew!! I started in the spring this year and am still behind the 8 ball. So far I have completed:

2 Kitchen Sets - 1 more to be done (2 oven mitts & a potholder - crocheted, 5 dishcloths)
Other assorted dishcloths (at least 5 I can think of)
8 stockings - crocheted
Purse & Poncho for 4yo niece
2 babydoll backpacks -crocheted
3 felted wine bottle cozies
Palindrome scarf & hat set
felted purse & scarf for 10 yo niece
couple of other scarves
fingerless gloves
several babydoll blankets
blankets for 2 3yo nieces
Several Jewelry sets (necklace, earrings, bracelet)

OTN - sling purse for DD

other projects to finish:
Kitchen Set
2 pr fingerless gloves
slipper socks for DD
Jewelry for DD

I'm always so stoked about knitting for ME after the holidays!!!!

chie96
11-27-2007, 09:19 AM
I just learned to knit in Sept. so my list is pretty small compared to some! So far I have knitted a scarf for my Mom and one for my Dad to wear to the Wake Forest games this winter (go Deacs!).

I still have four scarves to knit (one is OTN and almost complete), but they are all done with either Homespun or Wool Ease Thick & Quick and will knit up very fast. Those are for my DD (3), brother, MIL, and my biological mother. I also have an afghan that I am going to crochet for DH. Did I mention that I am currently teaching myself to crochet and have no idea what I am doing, LOL!

I actually have a spreadsheet made up for next year and have started filling in all of the gifts i want to make - both throughout the year and also for Christmas. I will be starting on those as soon as Christmas is over!

iwouldratherbeknitting
11-27-2007, 09:19 AM
Well, I got side-lined by a tendon injury in my left thumb.. so, I haven't been able to knit lately. However, prior to my injury- I had knitted a purse and a scarf for a gift.

I had also finished everything but 2 inches on a slipper for a gift. I just recently finished that last slipper and sewed it.

I also have 1 1/3 of another pair of knitted slippers for another gift.

There just won't be any more knitted gifts from me this year- I can knit now at least- but, my hand isn't well enough to 'knit' like I would be able to normally and it hurts if I do knit- so, I shouldn't do it. :(

So, I'm glad that I had started early or I wouldn't have had the ones finished that I did have.

iwfinley
11-27-2007, 10:30 AM
Trying to finish my son's Harry Potter Gryffindor scarf & hat set. Then, onto a throw for my husband in Ohio State colors. Also want to try some cell phone cozies. . . . .