PDA

View Full Version : Gift suggestions

vaknitter
11-26-2007, 11:58 AM
I have a SIL and BIL that recently moved back to the states after years stationed in Germany adn England with the military. I have met them all of 2-3times and just saw their new house for Turkey Day. They are really into us having a family Christmas this year and have asked for a list of things they could get us for the house. We asked them for a list as well, but I always like to do little extras that someone isn't expecting. Any suggestions on something generic I could knit for them? They have beautiful hats, scarves etc from being overseas so that is out of the question. Are gifts of dishcloths and felted soap universally accepted? How practical are felted potholders?

knitncook
11-26-2007, 12:07 PM
Hmmm, well, you could always do like I am doing for the holidays and giving a gift of an animal through Heifer in my family's names. I even have a gift registry set up so that my friends and families can be encouraged to do the same. I know that I have more "stuff" than I really need or really want. Since I can't own a sheep myself (due to county regulations of livestock) I would find it very awesome to have someone purchase a sheep in my name for someone in real need. I've got a link to my registry at Heifer in my sig now and was actually just going to post about this very thing. :)

I'm asking all my family and friends to not give me gifts, but instead to use that money to donate to Heifer. This is one of the few organizations that I support each year with money. They have one of the highest donation to program percentages of any other charity out there (including the American Red Cross and Salvation Army!) Rather than give them a duplicate of something they have or something that might have a luke warm reception, consider the gift of giving to those in need.

I've done this for my mom for the past 9 years. I will make a donation for her and my dad of some animal and then give them a small "trinket" wrapped up in recognition. For instance one year I gave a gift of bees and gave my mom a "honey bear" And another year I gave the gift of geese and gave my mom a small ceramic Mother Goose from Beatrix Potter (about 1.25" tall). This year I'm giving a sheep and my parents are each getting a scarf knit with wool.

Jan in CA
11-27-2007, 11:26 AM
I think something like coasters or dishcloths would be a nice little extra gift.

I looked on Ravelry and found this cute one from DIY. I think I may have to give this one a try, too. ;)
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/na_knitting/article/0,2025,DIY_14141_4989552,00.html