PDA

View Full Version : Read the pattern BEFORE buying yarn!

msoebel
11-26-2007, 12:54 PM
I went to Michaels on Friday night. I needed a few things for a Christmas Tea I am participating in (I am one of the speakers this year) and they had all kids of things on sale. I bought some plain old Red Heart in deep red and green to make some little sacks for some generic gifts, and I bought some candles. I also bought a copy of "Alter Knitting" and some wool ease for a sweater I was wanting to make for dd. I was excited because the pattern only needed three skeins of the chosen color, and since the yarn was on sale, that's a cheap sweater!

Then, when I got home, reality hit. I bought Wool Ease Thick and Quick, and the pattern called for Wool Ease CHUNKY. I am going to keep this yarn anyway, because it's so pretty and I like knitting with thick and quick...it's instant gratification.

But now, what can I make with it? Any suggestions? I am hoping for a sweater of some kind for a four year old. I searched Lion's webs site, but didn't really find anything.

knitncook
11-26-2007, 01:36 PM
If you are going to go back and get the yarn for the sweater why not make matching hat and mittens with the other yarn? It would knit up quickly.

suzeeq
11-26-2007, 02:58 PM
There's shouldn't be a whole lot of difference between the Chunky and Thick and Quick, at least I can't see much. Maybe you could knit a larger size? Though the yardages may be different.

msoebel
11-27-2007, 11:20 AM
I did some more research yesterday...turns out chunky isn't as thick as the thick and quick. I am thinking about making up the sweater one size smaller and seeing how that works...the worse thing that will happen is that the sweater will be too small for dd...I have a friend who has a little girl who is about 18 months younger than dd...so I will give it to her. I've been saying I wanted to make her a sweater anyway!

Thanks for the help!

bip
11-27-2007, 12:23 PM
Lol, I did this once. I had read the pattern at one point, but when I got to LYS it completely slipped my mind. I bought some lovely classic elite alpaca, and even got the right # of yards...but I needed a bulky yarn and the alpaca I bought was DK. Mental! I made a nice scarf from it though. This was a year or two ago and I still haven't made the original project, lol.