View Full Version : Read the pattern BEFORE buying yarn!

11-26-2007, 12:54 PM
I went to Michaels on Friday night. I needed a few things for a Christmas Tea I am participating in (I am one of the speakers this year) and they had all kids of things on sale. I bought some plain old Red Heart in deep red and green to make some little sacks for some generic gifts, and I bought some candles. I also bought a copy of "Alter Knitting" and some wool ease for a sweater I was wanting to make for dd. I was excited because the pattern only needed three skeins of the chosen color, and since the yarn was on sale, that's a cheap sweater!

Then, when I got home, reality hit. I bought Wool Ease Thick and Quick, and the pattern called for Wool Ease CHUNKY. I am going to keep this yarn anyway, because it's so pretty and I like knitting with thick and quick...it's instant gratification.

But now, what can I make with it? Any suggestions? I am hoping for a sweater of some kind for a four year old. I searched Lion's webs site, but didn't really find anything.

11-26-2007, 01:36 PM
If you are going to go back and get the yarn for the sweater why not make matching hat and mittens with the other yarn? It would knit up quickly.

11-26-2007, 02:58 PM
There's shouldn't be a whole lot of difference between the Chunky and Thick and Quick, at least I can't see much. Maybe you could knit a larger size? Though the yardages may be different.

11-27-2007, 11:20 AM
I did some more research yesterday...turns out chunky isn't as thick as the thick and quick. I am thinking about making up the sweater one size smaller and seeing how that works...the worse thing that will happen is that the sweater will be too small for dd...I have a friend who has a little girl who is about 18 months younger than dd...so I will give it to her. I've been saying I wanted to make her a sweater anyway!

Thanks for the help!

11-27-2007, 12:23 PM
Lol, I did this once. I had read the pattern at one point, but when I got to LYS it completely slipped my mind. I bought some lovely classic elite alpaca, and even got the right # of yards...but I needed a bulky yarn and the alpaca I bought was DK. Mental! I made a nice scarf from it though. This was a year or two ago and I still haven't made the original project, lol.