PDA

View Full Version : "Memory" in circulars?

Matdredalia
11-26-2007, 03:26 PM
Okay, so I keep reading about circular needles that have "little memory", and they make this sound like a good thing. Now, I had no idea what this meant until I pulled out the pair of circular Boye needles I bought.

The cord was doubled over in the package, and heaven help me, it wants to stay that way. It makes knitting with them much harder than it should be (or at least what I think it should be), and I'm guessing that this particular problem is what is referred to as "cable memory".

So, am I right or am I nuts? And if so, does anyone know if the KnitPicks Options have any cable memory problems? I'm planning on getting a set for Christmas, but I really don't know if I can stand this much more O_O

suzeeq
11-26-2007, 03:33 PM
You can help out the Boyes, dip the cord in very hot water for a minute, then let them cool off while holding them straight. Also, after knitting with them a bit the weight of the knit will straighten them. Just don't store them coiled up. I have several Boye's and really haven't needed to even heat them. The options are made of a softer material which is why they don't have that problem.

Matdredalia
11-26-2007, 03:42 PM
You can help out the Boyes, dip the cord in very hot water for a minute, then let them cool off while holding them straight. Also, after knitting with them a bit the weight of the knit will straighten them. Just don't store them coiled up. I have several Boye's and really haven't needed to even heat them. The options are made of a softer material which is why they don't have that problem.

Thanks! (^-^) I'm actually a big fan of Boyes, especially their straight needles, so I'd rather not have to trash them. I'm knitting a little headband on them at the moment, but once I'm done with that I'll try dipping them in the hot water. I wish I'd thought of that!

Jan in CA
11-26-2007, 03:44 PM
Options don't have memory. The cord lies pretty flat even after they've been coiled up in my needle binder.

Phaedra
11-26-2007, 08:10 PM
KP circular cables are great! After using them, I have trouble using any other.

leppardess
11-26-2007, 10:00 PM
I've only used Boye and Susan Bates circs but out of those 2, I like Susan Bates a bit more (well, I do magic loop too...). The Boye cords are a bit thicker and stiffer than the SBs.

However... I'm hoping that my b/f will get me the KP Harmony set for Christmas :happydance:

inkaholic
11-27-2007, 12:22 AM
if the hot water doesn't work, try blow drying them while pulling the cord straight. that usually works for me.