PDA

View Full Version : Bamboo (et al) needles.....what to do with those little nicks?

boo1
11-26-2007, 06:19 PM
I've noticed that I've gotten a few nicks around the tips since I started knitting. Is there a way to smooth these out?

Thanks!

miccisue
11-26-2007, 08:20 PM
I think you should be able to take very fine sandpaper to them and polish them up a bit - enough to take the edges of the nicks, anyway.

knitncook
11-27-2007, 09:09 AM
I use a find emery board (the spongey ones) and lightly sand the ends sometimes. I always have an emery board in my knitting bag because I can't stand if I get a rough spot on my cuticle or nail that snags the yarn. So it's right there when I need to fix a ragged part of a wooden or bamboo needle too.

bethany
11-27-2007, 09:56 AM
I saw on Knitty Gritty a little trick too...take raw rice, put it in a tall container (Pringles can?) and then dip your needles in, up and down, to "polish" up your needles and bring back some of the smoothness. I don't know if it would get bigger nicks out or not though....

mwhite
11-27-2007, 11:12 AM
I use a fine sandpaper and am careful to rub one way toward the tips, then use sewing wax and rub where sanded then polish with a soft cloth. Hope this helps... Mary

marykz
11-27-2007, 01:11 PM
a little wax paper rub after the fine sanding can help too. (if you don't have sewing wax.)

jess_hawk
11-28-2007, 12:15 AM
I saw on Knitty Gritty a little trick too...take raw rice, put it in a tall container (Pringles can?) and then dip your needles in, up and down, to "polish" up your needles and bring back some of the smoothness. I don't know if it would get bigger nicks out or not though....
What kind of raw rice? Does minute rice work as well as long grain white? What about wild rice? Brown rice? Short grain white?

Or am I just being annoying?:teehee: