PDA

View Full Version : Felted Clogs Done - All felted - but ???

luvknitting2
11-26-2007, 07:37 PM
I finished all 9 pairs of clogs i was making for christmas. Today was the scary day - i felted my first pair. I tried the hand method first because i have a front loading washer and CAN'T open it until the cycle is finished. So hand felting seemed appropriate. Well, 1 hour later and arms/hands so sore i could not continue - they were still not small enough. So, i put them in the dryer to see if they could shrink the rest of the way - for about 20 minutes. Nothing happened.

So, i went ahead and did it in the washer anyway on a speedwash cycle that takes 37 minutes - put them in a pillowcase and then lots of towels for friction. When it was done i opened the bag and took out the clogs - and yes they had shrunk and were the CORRECT size - yeah.

But this is my question. Has anyone else had the problem with them rolling up in a ball and getting wrinkled????? i flattened them out out and stuffed them with grocery sacks (plastic) and tried to get the wrinkles out - they look great size-wise, but i don't like the wrinkles. any suggestions??? will they go away as they dry completely - or are they permanent??? if so, what can i do so the other 8 pairs i need to felt don't get the wrinkles - since i can't open my washer to adjust things during the process. Thx for all the helpful answer in advance.:mrgreen:

Indygirl
11-26-2007, 07:43 PM
Sorry, I don't have the answer, but I will be glad to see what other's have to say about this. I have the same problem :shrug:

Ingrid
11-26-2007, 08:15 PM
You can actually throw them in the dryer for a bit. Otherwise, stuff them and let them dry. They should be fine.

momwolf
11-26-2007, 08:31 PM
They get the wrinkles from spinning cyle.It happen to a purse i made and they came out when they dried.

GinnyG
11-26-2007, 09:00 PM
I had alot of trouble getting mine to felt down. I finally ended up using the dryer, ALOT. I think it was Ingrid or Jan who suggested it. I would wash then dry and start again. When they were finally the right size, and all wrinkled in a ball I throughly soaked them in the sink in water and then stuffed them with bags and let them air dry. They came out perfect. The dryer was the key to getting them down to the right size.