PDA

View Full Version : blocking before finishing?

merchgirl
11-26-2007, 09:32 PM
hi all,

i just started the "razor shell lace scarf" from the book one skein wonders. i'm using knit picks "shimmer" yarn, lace weight, on size 8 needles. i haven't decided yet if the needles are bigger than i want them to be (i checked on ravelry, i didn't see anyone making this scarf from this yarn, but i saw other lacy scarves from this yarn made with needles anywhere from a 4 to a 7 - and some were definitely tighter than i want mine). would it be weird to block the start of the scarf so i can see what it will look like finished? and then if i decide to frog it and go down to a 7 or 6 would that do anything funny? i've never blocked anything before, though i know things would probably look nicer if i did. blocking just seems like so much work without any of the right stuff. ok, i'm lazy. :)

thanks in advance!

divagirl
11-26-2007, 10:45 PM
Do a swatch on the size needles you want to use, block it and see how you like it. the time spent doing it will be worth it - and it will save you having to rip and restart (yes, that is the stubborn 'i don't neeed no stinkin' blocking' voice of experiencetalking) as I have unfortunately had to do. :mrgreen: Good luck!

Kime
11-27-2007, 12:10 PM
If you have enough for a sample just put the live stitches on a piece of yarn and go ahead and block it. Then if you like it you can continue with your knitting.

merchgirl
11-28-2007, 01:14 PM
great, thanks, i'll do that. basically, i was just concerned that it might be weird to either continue knitting on something that had already been partially blocked or to frog it, as i've never blocked anything and am not quite sure what will happen. :) keeping my fingers crossed!